Frost nova never breaking

Here’s an old TBC frost mage PvP video:

https ://www.youtube .com/watch?v=EgnuPW-xVKk

2:16
2:52
3:20
4:58

It breaks on one 1600 crit. Sometimes he can get like a CoC into Ice Lance before it breaks but often times not. Even a single fireblast is sometimes breaking the nova.

Now fast forward to TBC beta and you’re seeing mages drop 4-5 ice lances into a nova’d target for 2k a piece.

It’s broken. Horrifically broken.

4 Likes

You can put the link like this in “preformatted text”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgnuPW-xVKk

My memory of icelance was that it was pretty random, usually 1-2 icelances breaks it. Three to Four was possible but very rare. Anything over 4-5 is kinda impossible because icelance does use the global cooldown.

I also remember frostbite being completely broken and eventually getting nerfed to have a much lower threshold on breaking VERY early in TBC.

Oh, neat.

The way around frost nova breaking was lining up your projectiles. You wanted to pet nova 3/4 of the way through your frostbolt cast so that you could immediately ice lance and then CoC (short range) or fireblast (medium range) so all three land at about the same time.

On beta right now you can just nova and strafe away spamming lance after lance after lance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObLz4OjHeDU

Check out 9:39. Venruki novas that guy bridge and just pounds lances into him.

It’s RNG, sometimes it breaks the first time someone blows on you, sometimes it takes several hits to break.

You’ll just always remember the times it doesn’t break, but the 99 times it breaks the first time will immediately be forgotten.

Much like everyone remembers the time an orc resists 5 stuns in a row, getting multiple dispel resists, or when a druid breaks CC twenty times. Sometimes, the game gives you an unfair situation.

2 Likes

Are people really asking for nerfs in a classic version of TBC? Kind of disgusting tbh…

Its absolutely working as intended, and is working the same way that it does on classic vanilla. The chance to break on damage is RNG, just like its always been. That means sometimes it breaks on the first, sometimes it breaks on the fifth, its RANDOM.

All these people coming from retail have no idea how some of these classes work in earlier versions of the game.

Calling a bug fix a “nerf” is, I guess, technically correct. But it feels disingenuous.

2 Likes

Implying that this is normal and happens everytime with frost nova is absurd. Just because someone got some crazy 1% RNG doesnt mean that its “gamebreaking.” Ive seen much crazier things in the game than getting lucky with an ice nova 1 time. Maybe if there were 100s of these clips, then you would have a point, but a 1/1000 example is hardly a bug, and clearly an outlier example.

1 Like

It has always been random but it has also always been incredibly rare for it to last more than 3 casts of pretty much anything.

I haven’t done testing so I don’t know how common it is for people to eat 5+ ice lances without it breaking, but if it happens with any real regularity then there is probably a bug.

1 Like

I distinctly remember frost nova and frostbite getting nerfs in early TBC. Making frost nova break in 1-2 shatters was covered very fast…and its one of the mage changes I was fine with them making at the time. I’m dumbfounded how they haven’t already had this change , are they not going off the 2.4.3 client?

its extremely uncommon, people are just overreacting per usual

They are on the 2.4.3 client. Nova is working as intended, its a 1:1 port of the old code lol.

That’s why feral Powershifting is currently bugged on the beta? Right. It’s not returning energy. That’s why rogues are losing combo points on kick, right? That’s why bracer enchants are currently not granting the stats, right?

There are a ton of bugs on the beta, dude. It’s not a copy-paste code job. They had to change the entire API. They also had to adjust leeway and spell batching. It’s a mess. It’s actually a little scary the financial suits are forcing a June 1st release. It’s not ready.

4 Likes

If only we were so lucky.

2 Likes

Considering how many significant bugs there still are, I’m wondering if the TBCC dev team is experiencing a bioware + Anthem style environment and being rushed to a finish line they just can’t possibly hit on time.

Ended very poorly over there.

1 Like

I’m just letting you know through my own personal experience as a mage in the original TBC that it was only like this at the very very start of TBC.

I distinctly remember frostbite getting a serious nerf very early on like 2.1, something insane like having a DR and making the DR shared with nova. It created a situation very early on that made taking frostbite VERY bad for consistency rather than melee getting hit with free shatter lances all day.

Oh 100%. They clearly never intended a 2 week prepatch. May 18th was always the prepatch date but June 1st was obvious not the intended launch day. But those Q2 earning reports are published around June 18th and the bean counters are terrified. WoW subs down like 29% since January is the speculation. So, they’re sending it unfinished. Feel bad for the devs and the players.

1 Like

Those “bugs” you mentioned arent subjective either… If those bugs really exist they can be easily verified and then fixed. However just because 1 person got lucky with a frost nova one time does not mean that theres a bug, it means someone got lucky with RNG. Its subjective, and theres no evidence to suggest its not working as intended.

I think theres alot more actual bugs and more important issues to deal with, then trying to waste the devs time with crap like this.

lmao. Yep, that’s what happened alright.

this is happening every time with nova, not just once or as a rare occurrence. you can make a mage on beta right now and go test it for yourself. asking devs to fix a bug that can ruin bgs and arenas single handedly if its not fixed is far from a waste of time.

https://clips.twitch.tv/AlertFrigidWalrusBleedPurple-uCZCHZrJoGqzv4Tg

Yep. 1:1 code. Frost Trap is literally covering the ENTIRE ruins of Lordaeron.

2 Likes

Grab your ankles we blue Boise going hard in da paint!