[Frost Mage] GS or TV in Shadowlands?

I just simmed my frost gear using a theoretical fight with 2 targets stacked on one another for 100% of the time in both the noIL and standard frost rotations.

NoIL still won by over 9k. The extra 50ish hits of ice lance was nowhere near enough to overcome the loss of 9 GS casts.

Why does this not ring a bell? I remember getting a 10% overall buff to damage but no specific buff to IL

Balansed,

I think Icy Veins is typically very good but you’re just wrong on this one. Check out Keestus’ Drest’agath parse. I don’t know about you, but I’m going to assume the #1 parse in the entire world means he knows what he’s talking about.

I guess you’re right in the sense that if you’re stacking a lot of Mastery then the GS no-IL build would still be better. I think it comes down to simming oneself and seeing what works best because essences/azerite traits also play a huge role in this. Stacking 3 Flash Freeze means the value you gain for spending a GCD on the Spike will obviously outweigh using FoF-IL

On my mage, eliminating FoF-IL is a 8k DPS loss. But my mage only has one FF and 3 PI. Contrary to Nyteshade above, my mage’s FoF-IL hit for around ~180k crits when Orb is up so hey, I guess it depends on what you’re running.

Btw, I directly copy-pasted from Icy Veins, I didn’t add anything to their info. In fact it’s still up on their site, lol. Thanks for the clarification though! And thank you all for testing your mages out. Very much appreciated.

Well yeah, it looks like you’re running the FO build which has a completely different spell and stat priority than GS.

Are these sims using alpha skills or live? Only asking as I assume some balance tuning will happen when traits are gutted.

I did so because of the luck I had with my Azerite pieces. I tested myself with Spike + no FoF-IL vs Spike + FoF-IL on 2 target cleave and for me it yielded better results on the latter than the former, which is not like what happened with your mage.

I guess it means that in the end it probably means FoF-IL should be factored in on 2 target cleave based on the results of simming. I do hope that in SL Blizz fixes this in order to make the spell mandatory in rotation, it’s a very iconic Frost spell.

I was wondering when looking at the wowhead guide. It says that I should be up around 33% crit but looking keetus who is a beast by the way. It looks like mastery is better. I still use ice lance. Should I not be and cast frost bolt instead? I usually use gs then flurry then frost finger then start casting frost bolt again.