Frost and mythic+

Probably been discussed a thousand times but I’ll ask anyways. I main VDH at 3200, nothing crazy just pugging. I can say all season anytime I took a mage they almost always disappointed. They were also fire. But I wanted to try mage because my guild could use more ranged instead of havoc.

I started as fire and wanted to try frost. I like frost a bit more although I like the burst of fire. Is frost really this bad in mythic+? I have a 487 VDH, 486 ret, 485 mage and a few others. The havoc and ret have way higher burst aoe. I’d even argue ST.

Plus if a tanks drags the mobs away from my orb/blizzard it’s over! What’s the long term viability of frost in high end mythics. I’m usually in the 23-25 range for keys because I pug and I’m somewhat casual. Even as fire I couldnt keep up on overall.

Edit: any frost mages crushing it in mythic+ and this is a git gud situation? Or is frost a good raid spec and 20-22 key level kind of spec? I’ve had a few pugs say “ewww frost mage”. This was on a 20!

Frost does as much damage as fire, but less prio damage and less survivability. Fire has the privilege of doing it’s ST rotation and cleaving all enemies around it. Frost has to predict where the tank will move, If your aoe gets no value that’s tough because aiming is part of ‘skill expression’ - class devs. :roll_eyes:

Both specs are viable with some practice, but Fire is predictably better for the same reasons almost every season.

2 Likes

Survivability, scales better with key level, in the end in higher keys WILL do more damage, prio damage, more liked by mage players.