Front stabbing and /sitting

Whether it was private server or not, this is pretty obviously an exploit, and should be fixed, like wall walking (where you could walk straight across an almost vertical slope).

blizzard has already said no. to both.

1 Like

Combat is honestly as fast by the time you get riposte and the hit talent.

The facestab thing only really excels 1-10 (before DW) and early in the 10-20 range for Horde because there’s a forsaken rogue quest that gives you an absurd 2.0 speed dagger (making it stupidly good for the backstab level strat)

Daggers quickly fall off after that, particularly because they are more gear dependent than combat and they are harder to find for weapon progression.

I’d add that the single best item we get access to as Rogues while leveling is the Thrash Blade, which can carry you all the way to 60 from the mid-late 40s. That’s almost half the game in time /played using it.

Once capped, however (or potentially a bit before it, if you spend 55+ running dungeons) Barman Shanker and a dagger build is probably the fastest/easiest weapon to get your hands on.

I looked through all the patch notes and didn’t find a single mention of it searching for the key phrases of reckoning, sit, sitting, charge, npc, crit, or critical. Do you know which patch it was?

Except the lead class developer said it wasn’t a bug, but it was too strong to be left in the game in that iteration.

When was that?

1 Like

At or around blizzcon.

Is there a video of that? or is this going off of memory?

There is a source but I’m at work and not home and can’t go digging.

Which blizzcon is it and I’ll look for it?

I’m not sure if it was even during blizzcon. I said around that time. But anyway I’d check the two pinned videos.

I do remember reading front stabbing and redoubt during the demo and neither worked.

Front stabbing required major lag to pull off, at least the only 2 or so times it worked for me was because of 3+ seconds of lag I was having. As for redoubt during the demo, if you didn’t have a shield equipped it wouldn’t proc. Makes me think they are rewriting at least some of the game’s scripts as it never had a restriction and there are mountains of videos of redoubt proccing without a shield. We may never have the same vanilla mechanics which can definitely hurt paladin tanks and rets and probably other classes as well.

Also proccing on crit talents using /sit might have been a byproduct of the batching system they were using for most of WoW.

Front stabbing was possible back then not a lot of people know about it.
Everyone who says it wasn’t is full of it probably never even experimented.

Either way it was less efficient like jumping.

3 Likes

Show me the patch notes. Was it a bug fix specifically or did they just change how it worked? Chaos bolt use to be able to go through pally bubbles but then they changed it. Was this a bug fix? Nope

Front stabbing was a latency issue. If you played a druid (feral specifically) you’d be familiar with front-shredding. It had to do with wonky hitboxes and latency that made it so you could shred from the front even though you weren’t supposed to (and not from the back because hey, why not?).
I highly doubt we’ll have the latency like that to pull it off.

As for /sitting, it always auto-procced a crit but supposedly that wasn’t exactly intended and some of those talents were changed in BC to just be off hit. Some people also say that it was a latency thing because it wouldn’t always work so it might be the game not recognizing you were sitting for the proc but recognizing it for the crit or some other voodoo magic that would explain why sometimes things didn’t proc like they should.

https://web.archive.org/web/20061206141810/http://blue.cardplace.com/cache/wow-paladin/1069149.htm

Poster: Baconn at 5/25/2006 11:30:17 AM PDT
Subject: Guide to Reckoning V2 (Current 1.10)
Can I sit down to force a crit and gain a charge?
Charges will not generate off auto attacks or npc attacks by trying to sit down and force a crit. However, ability crits from physical abilities such as Sinister Strike, Hamstring, Auto-shot, Aimed shot, etc will generate a charge if you’re sitting.

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Patch_1.10.0

Release Date: 28 March 2006

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Patch_2.0.1

“Fixed an issue where spells that proc while a player was standing would not proc if they were sitting or lying down.”

End of discussion, these are the facts. The game will be based off 1.12; regardless of hypothetical intent or changes which occured in other expansions, and that is the last post of relevant information we have on the topic, so we know that attacks did not generate talent procs in classic and “ability procs” were more then likely just a result of server lag and spamming sit due to the instant nature of the mentioned abilities, for true classic there will be no sit-crit-procs because the game will function as it was without the detriment of poor server infrastructure, and will operate based on the principles and mechanics at play during the patch of 1.12.
[Thread]

Edit: oh heres the video for reckoning as requested by someone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xhgvouRprw

I will get the words directly from the creator of that guides very mouth (fingers):

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20767637953?page=2#post-38

Baconn
120 Human Paladin
315 posts
Aug 28
Got linked over to this post from I assume Theloras, and I can shed a little light on Reckoning. Some of the info from my 14 year old guide was a little out-of-date: IIRC when the sticky dropped I stopped updating the guide.

Normally if you’re sitting down you would not get Reckoning charges from auto-attacks. However, you could gain charges from random NPCs by constantly sitting and standing up due to server lag: mob would try to attack you as your were sitting, so it’d be a forced crit. However, if you stood up just as you were getting hit, the server would see you as if you were standing and get a Reckoning charge. I learned this by chance after showing a buddy of mine how Reckoning worked, and he just did some guess-work, pulled a scorpion outside of Gadgetzon, got 4 charges and then went and one-shot a level 42 guy in town. He would do this for hours and it was a masterpiece to watch.

I also assume this is the trick the rogue and paladin used to get enough charges to one-shot Kazzak that one time.

As for mounting: if one had 4 Reckoning charges and then mounted–they’re gone. However, one could Acquire Reckoning charges while mounted and retain them after dismounting. I would (ab)use this to charge into Orgrimmar/Grom’gol/Cenarion Hold and bomb someone before the guards/duelers would kill me.

Thanks for the blast from the past. And my opinion is if it’s going to be Classic WoW, “fixing” this would be kind of detracting from the original game imo.

If it’s a side effect of the batching system we may yet see it which would be more vanilla like than not having them proc.

1 Like

No we dont want a buggy blizzard private server, we want true vanilla and i promise to shoot down every private server player begging for private server gimmicks in the official bug report forums when they are released. We have official posts from official blizzard patches already on record and verbatim guides from actual vanilla on how it really worked as i posted just before, dont post misleading information from buggy private server guides here.

Wow 1.12 was never scripted to have sit crit procs it was the result of outdated hardware and connections and bug abuse wow classic will never let players abuse bugs and i cant wait to play it bug free, especially getting to play a true bug free ret paladin.

1 Like

LoL You were the one to quote the guide from vanilla not a private server. I quoted the guide’s creator who posted in the old wow forums on Aug 28 of this year.

I want to know what you are high off of because classic won’t be bug free. The demo was buggy as can be. Blizzard even showed interest in recreating the batching system that could have caused the interaction between mechanics.

1 Like

yes i quoted a guy who posted in 2006, you quoted a guy who posted 12 years later about something he might remember about the game 12 years ago, who more then likely has played and had his experience influenced and changed by private servers. context is everything I posted a verbatim first hand experience quote whereas you posted a recollection of an experience from 12 years ago and one which is extremely likely to be inaccurate and altered by more recent experiences… if you dont see the difference in reliability in sources… then you are beyond help.

buddy your advocating for a literal bug so you can abuse because thats what you do on private servers, thats all there is to it now stop trying to destroy we want to play classic wow, we dont want to play on your private server, if you do then maybe classic wow isnt for you… they have a 1.12 working client at blizzard hq alongside actual evidence of which i have quoted and you have quoted none of… as i said go back to your buggy private server and keep your private server bugs out of classic.

it is beyond dispute that this bug did not exist in 1.12 as i have proven, end the private server player whining for the introduction of private server bugs.

What an unbelievably lost cause you are. Don’t worry, I’ll see my self out. Try not to suffocate after flying so high.

sorry not all of us advocate for the introduction of private server bugs with the intention to abuse them simply in order to strengthen a class at the cost of actual classic wow authenticity… not all of us are shill-adins.