Friend needs help accessing her account (physical authenticator died)

A good friend of mine and an 18+ year WoW vet tried logging in a few months ago but discovered that the battery in her Authenticator fob had finally died. When she contacted Blizz to try and have it removed she was given the run around and asked for info that most people just aren’t going to have nearly two decades later (like her original CD-key). So despite providing a picture of her ID/license and information on characters and realms, support refused to help her and closed her ticket.

I mean, if providing an ID isn’t good enough, what the heck is she supposed to do?

Privacy rules in regards to ID have changed, Blizzard tends not to ask for ID now due to those rule changes outside of their control.

Your friend should do their best to answer those by replying to the ticket if they can, opening a new ticket if they can not respond to the original, but not sending the reply by email as it is a no-reply address.

You might not get complete information regarding another account, but for sake of clarity, does your friend have a ticket number or bnet tag to know who this is in case a mod can answer?

6 Likes

It isn’t that providing ID isn’t generally good enough, Mollicogs, but due to laws regarding the handling of personal information globally, we are generally unable to use it.

While I understand she may not have some of the information asked for, can she try to answer any of the questions asked? Did she open a new ticket to provide what answers she could while referencing the account in question?

Some folks reply to the email that they are sent, which doesn’t come back to us, so make sure she opened a new ticket.

5 Likes

Hi and thanks for replying (you too @Kozzae),

She did reply with information about several servers and race/name changes that she made. But she says they pressed on the CD-key info, and her inability to provide that is why her ticket was closed without helping her.

I can appreciate them wanting to be sure, but how many people are going to have a paper CD sleeve from nearly 20 years ago?

A ticket number or bnet tag would help.

But your friend will likely have to open a new ticket.

1 Like

Because of the way we have to verify account ownership now, there is some information that is more weighted than others. A CD-Key, which you’d be surprised at how many people still have that, is one of the best verification we can ask for.

Have her try again, and if you can provide the ticket ID for it here, I’ll double-check the ticket and make sure it is in the right review queue.

3 Likes

Hi Kozzae :slight_smile: I passed along the comments here and she’s going to open a new ticket as soon as she gets home from family stuff.

2 Likes

I will post the ticket number as soon as she sends it. Thank you both!

She says this is the Ticket ID for the most recent correspondence: US97126974

Thank you for helping!

Also I don’t know if it helps, but here is the previous Issue ID: #89960851

Awesome. I used that to locate the original ticket. Here is part of the original response and the questions asked:

☆ Any physical game keys/codes attached to the account:
☆ Invoice IDs from a purchase (these are found in the confirmation email sent after a store purchase):
☆ Transaction ID from a purchase (found on your bank/financial statement):
☆ Date of birth registered to the account (MM/DD/YYYY):
☆ Previous emails associated with the account:
☆ Previous BattleTags associated with the account:
☆ Previous physical addresses associated with the account:
☆ Previous phone numbers associated with the account:
☆ The answer to the account’s secret question (SQA):

World of Warcraft®
☆ The creation date of any associated WoW accounts (approximate date in MM/YYYY format):
☆ The oldest WoW character’s creation date (approximate date in MM/YYYY format):
☆ For any character services on the account (i.e. character transfer/faction change/race change), list the characters’ previous faction/name/race:
☆ Recent purchases made with gold on the account (provide the character’s name and realm as well):

I know she cannot answer a lot, but if she can provide what answers she can, that would help a Game Master in recovering the account. An ID may be a viable option, but they will not ask for one. I don’t think she can edit her current ticket with additional info, since she doesn’t have access to the account, but she may be able to create a new one with whatever information she can.

9 Likes

She updated a new ticket, here is the ID: US97127445

1 Like

YAY!!! She was able to reset her account, thank you SO much! squeals happily

Please buy yourself some cookies and pretend they are from me, seriously.

14 Likes

Contribute any weight I gain from eating cookies to you, got it. <3

16 Likes