Fresh realms or nah?

Yea som is popping off…

Oh wait.

YES I am amped, lots of people will play fresh, very excited. Lots of salty people on forum right now. If they don’t like something they are negative. Many thousands are stoked for fresh. There should be a couple servers in usa.

2 Likes

Having less servers will be far more healthy for the game than having more.

Handful of people care about them. Rest don’t. I’m in the “rest don’t” group as I see no reason to drop all the work I’ve done since launch and start over. Every reason I see for people to justify this is poop. All the cheating/economic issues they seek to flee from will promptly follow them over there. It won’t be more than a few months before the new realms are no better than the old ones. So you may as well keep your work.

I would go fresh if I wasn’t happy with my current guild, even though I would dread leveling yet another character in the Vanilla or TBC zones. So, nah for me.

After 90 days they’ll have the same problems as other servers and Blizz will have a new batch of people to sell transfers to…

1 Like

There is little incentive for blizzard to communicate on the forums at all. I welcome the few posts we get. The majority of the player posts in the forums are either trolls or duplicates.

It’s not a surprise that they do not spend very much time interacting with the community anymore.

A very small segment of the player base spends time on the forums, and even smaller number of those are regularly active here.

That is not a reason to engage with the people here, especially when those people are largely making demands they are not entitled to.

Blizzard is also going through an ownership transition soon and they are trying to squeeze their popular IPs atm for as much of a bump in short term stock price as they can. They don’t really care about longevity because that will be Microsoft’s problem. They just want stocks as high as possible before sale completion.

I kind of agree about the forums themselves but although only a few people come to forums MANY MANY, probably 100 times more, see or hear about the blue posts from somewhere.

So getting no information on fresh is rough for the people who want to play on them. For the common forum complaints though sure, I can see your point.

Actually, I’m not sure if that’s what you’re responding to which is not the OPs question but if it’s about fresh server info yes there should be more 5 days before the servers launch. People reaching way outside of these forums consider Blizzzards communication to be bad.

They aren’t opening transfers and boosting at 90 days. Blizzard already clarified this in a subsequent blue post.

Stop repeating false info.

2 Likes

Two main things to consider about Fresh servers;

Fresh starts appeal to a much larger audience than people seem to think. It’s why games like PoE are successful and why private servers last more than 6 months.

Servers don’t need 20,000 people to be active. A lot of these Classic players are on Megaservers that are near 10x the size of original Wrath servers and have skewed perspectives. They believe if a server has less than 10k people it’s dead and pointless. Most Retail servers back during TBC>Wrath would’ve only had 2-3k people on them, maybe 4-5k for the absolute biggest. A population any bigger than 1500 people is plenty for a server to be active.

4 Likes

I’m fairly confident you can go back 15 years in time and find just as many trolls on the forums then as there are now.

Well I just remember when Holly Longdale started talking about it more like progression servers. Which in the case of EverQuest (1 or 2) were never my thing. To me classic was the appeal in multiple games because I didn’t like the current game. Progression by definition ultimately ends up as the same game you no longer liked. I’ll just add in that if the classic Dark Age of Camelot cluster had been left classic instead of merged into the lower population non classic clusters. Well I might still be playing DAoC. Although eventually I guess the player base would have died down, but it was still hopping daily/nightly until they merged it and then I left.

However, there was certainly a segment of the population that loved progression servers. As far as I can tell they play through then die off and they start a new progression server.

The reason I mention that is because it’s similar to a fresh start. The progression crowd is making a “fresh start” every time the cycle restarts. So it should be no surprise that “fresh start” is going to have a decent sized crowd. Whether Blizzard actually attempts to capitalize on that or not remains to be seen… Although when you consider what they would have to do and these are things they’ve never consistently done. Well it’s hard to imagine.

It should be nice for a while though… and maybe that’s enough.

You’re wrong.

The launch of Wrath of the Lich King Classic™ pre-patch brings with it new “Fresh Start” realms for players who wish to experience starting a new character and playing alongside a new community of others without feeling behind the curve. These realms come with a few stipulations:

• For at least 90 days, you will not be allowed to boost a character on Fresh Start realms.
  • For at least 90 days, Fresh Start realms will not be available destinations for character transfers.
  • Death Knights cannot be created on these realms without a level 55 character on that same realm.
1 Like

Keywords = “At least”

So the decision is in the air after 90 days…Durrrrrrrr

Blizzard just covering their butts by using the word “at least”. You know 90 days it will be open.

1 Like

Agree with others that no one knows. That would be true to a point even if Blizzard was communicating numbers/type/zones, since even people who say they are committed might back out a month in.

There’s also the uncertainty around whether they’ll be open to future transfers, which will be divisive if and when it happens. There will be purists who oppose it (and may quit) even if an infusion of bodies might actually help if pops are thin.

But as is it’s impossible to tell - if Blizzard drops 20 fresh servers, they’re probably all doomed. If they drop 1-2, they might have a fighting chance to at least push through a 12 month wrath cycle.

It won’t be. They said so in a follow up post.

Literally this is the only thing you can come up with to bash FRESH because you are so insecure about where you are playing at.

You have a busted, worn out, TBC era server and are jealous we are playing on FRESH new, honest, and clean servers.

1 Like

Here is the link for that conversation:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.