Freedom of speech

Because it’s a private forum. It’s not paid for by public funds, taxes or the like. It’s privately owned. That’s pretty simple to understand.

In fact, Blizz isn’t required to provide this forum at all. It’s here for players of a video game of a privately owned company.

Just like your home is privately owned and that letting other in for free doesn’t give them some sort of silly “Freedom of Speech” that prevents you from forcing them to follow the rules of your home or leave.

The second you try to enforce a “freedom”, that you clearly don’t understand, on a private place, you open that up to include your own private property.

For example, what if this was your private property and I wanted to say whatever I want on your property…that’s cool to you? Not me!

6 Likes

This is perfectly within Blizzard’s rights to end a contract with someone for their public statements.

6 Likes

Don’t worry, I already found it as mentioned in the edit.
I don’t think a question should be held as a dog whistle of any kind, otherwise you risk branding the pursuit of knowledge and understanding itself as a negative. Rather, I think a question is asked in search for an answer, even by those who believe themselves already to be possessed of it. This fear of a question speaks more to those reticent to even name it, I think, than to any who would ask.

1 Like

Time for you to move out.

Is it literally just “What is a Woman?” I don’t use Twitter so I’m not going to look for it.

1 Like

Online public forums are not public. Never have been. Twitter is not public. Facebook is not public. You have to create an account and sign a TOS that tells you they can do anything the want on their forum. Your feelings do not matter.

6 Likes

Yup exactly op is hiding the reality of the situation Blizzard didn’t really ban him they ended a contract he signed after already getting off after at least one warning.

He was also banned from Twitch cause he broke their ToS in a stream it seems.

You’re still not getting it. We’re not even really talking about Blizzard or Blizzard’s forums. We’re talking about social medias. And my entire argument is that things marketed as public forums should be completely adherent to freedom of speech.

If you mention “yelling at your house” again, I’m just gonna ignore you lmao.

1 Like

The basement is so comfortable and how will we split the cats?

Then make one. Any fourm online today is private.

Oh, hi Quenya.

Yes, they are. It’s what Twitter has always been marketed as, at least.

Which I think is total BS.

None of ours do, lmao

Bad argument. Thanks for playing, though!

Just because you think it, doesn’t make it correct. Free speech is also not free of consequences.

Public social medias? Or private ones?

And they typically are (depending on what country they’re hosted in and international laws), but you first have to understand what “freedom of speech” is. You’ll need to work on what your laws actually mean before you try to apply your own definition of them on private entities.

If you’d like, I can dumb it up for you!

Here’s what the American Freedom of Speech actually means to a 4-year old according to ChatGPT:

The First Amendment is a rule that says people can say whatever they want without getting in trouble from the government. That means you can talk about anything you want to, like your favorite toys, your pets, or your friends, and nobody can stop you or punish you for it.

But it’s important to remember that this rule only applies when you’re talking about things that the government does, like laws or rules they make. You still have to be respectful and kind to other people and not say things that could hurt their feelings. And you can’t say things that could get you in trouble, like yelling in a library or saying mean things to your teacher.

It’s also important to know that this rule doesn’t apply to private property, like your friend’s house or a store. When you’re in someone else’s house or store, you have to follow their rules and be respectful to their property.

So remember, the First Amendment is a rule that lets you talk about anything you want when you’re talking about the government, but you still have to be kind to others and follow the rules when you’re on private property.

Hopefully that helps.

5 Likes

Freedom of speech has never existed.

You are confused about what the 1st amendment is.

Okay, I’ll nibble on this bait. Just because you think it’s correct, doesn’t mean it should be.

You don’t know what that even means

This is the private entity versus public forum debate that you are not bringing the full context of and thus this conversion will go nowhere. Even if classified as a public forum, platforms still have Terms of Service and Codes of Conduct that its users must adhere to or face the consequences of breaking said documents. What it seems you’re conflating is the responsibility for the content on said platform (whether it be a private entity, and thus the platform’s responsibility, or a public forum, and thus the users’ responsibility) with censorship.

I am fairly sure he is talking about the general principle of freedom of speech and not the codified version in the first amendment. His problem is that the general principle of freedom of speech has never meant say what every you want and that whatever you say is without consequences.

1 Like

Yes, it means you are still held responsible for what you say. Here is a protip, when everyone says you are wrong, and you keep arguing with everyone then maybe you may want to double check your own stance.

2 Likes

Yes whilst it is just a question it’s also used as a dog whistle by transphobes so don’t want to risk breaking ToS. Like used to be more involved in twitter debating those kinda people and when it started to take a toll on my mental health watched from the sidelines nowadays only have an account for stuff that is inappropriate for the WoW forums if you catch my meaning.

But I’m well versed in different dog whistles and what not which is both a blessing but also a curse because I’m paranoid as all hell and some of these things are pretty well hidden behind a veil of innocence :dracthyr_crylaugh:

Like not fun being constantly worried that there’s something going on between the lines when someone says something that just gives me an I guess off feeling :dracthyr_uwahh_animated:

1 Like