Freedom of speech

I just said some crap out loud about Blizzard will I get banned? :rofl:

Well since no one here is willing to post the name of the player they keep alluding to I have no way to check whether they are or not, but even if you’re correct in that they do not do something, when it comes to corporations it’s never really a bad idea to discuss as a community whether they should or should not do it.

Imma be real if they’re suspending the account of somebody for something they said elsewhere then it probably would’ve been bad enough that they weren’t afraid of backlash. :dracthyr_blob_dance_animated:

Again, at last check we don’t really own our accounts, we just rent them and Blizzard can do whatever they want with them at any point for any reason.

1 Like

2 Likes

Hmm…interesting and scary that you said that.

Edit: Haha, now that you edited your post, restricting freedom of speach via government is an absolutely horrible idea. Its the 1st on the list for a reason. Of course it encompasses much more then just what you say verbally and for very good reasons.

Right but the question at hand is who makes the decision on “bad enough”? Are we really okay with letting Blizzard be that arbiter when it comes to things taking place outside of their game? Especially when they allegedly fired someone for certain dialogue lines recently, maybe next they ban a few players who are vocal about being pro-union. And we all know if you don’t have a big audience, your appeals just get lost in the ether. How much backlash is there typically for the average person who gets wrongfully banned?

1 Like

Past disagreements between parties in modern politics were generally over taxes and regulations.

We’ve “diverged” to where only one party insists that entire groups of people have less rights or simply cease to exist.

1 Like

There’s a whole list of rules that the person must sign if they enter Blizzard’s e-sport stuff. Go google ‘awc official rules’

2 Likes

People are way too eager to insist “free speech” override a corporation’s property rights.

If that happened, what kind of impact do you think it would have on the property rights of people who don’t have well paid lawyers on retainer?

In what way? Marriage? Nobody has a right to it; its a behavior to incentivize to encourage procreation to perpetuate your society, and other than tax breaks the state shouldn’t even be involved in it. California voted for DOMA in 2008, and what now? It was overturned by some tiny hatted dirty undershirt wearing black robe, because democracy?
Please.
Or are you talking about the activists saying muslim parents don’t have a right to opt out of certain forms of [strikethrough] indoctrination [/strikethrough] education without “doing harm” to the groups those activists agitate for?

3 Likes

If the contract he signed has wording regarding being an ambassador to the blizz brand. Then what he does or says on other playforms will of course be under their watchful eye. Just like Ja with everything he is going through in the NBA.

1 Like

I think it’s valid to talk about the fact that none of us owns our WoW account, regardless of how much time and effort we put into it. It could be gone tomorrow and you would have no recourse because, as you said, Blizzard owns the property rights to it.

If you’re talking about Ja Morant i’m pretty sure he’s an NBA player

Yeah my bad, spell check got me.

Freedom of speech doesn’t mean freedom from consequence.

1 Like

Again, this isn’t really an argument regarding whether or not these contracts are entirely ethical and/or legal. Just saying they exist doesn’t say anything about whether they should.

Yeah, we have free speech so that unacceptable opinions can be crushed by corporate overlords. Brilliant.

2 Likes

Just presenting the information that’s actually available for AWC players:

Players must at all times observe the highest standards of personal integrity and
good sportsmanship. Players are required to behave in a professional and
sportsmanlike manner in their interactions with other competitors, Tournament
organizers and members of the administration team, the media, sponsors and fans.
This includes but is not limited to the following: conduct on social media, live
streams, videos, in-person at events and on stage, or anything public-facing. What
qualifies as “sportsmanlike manner” is up to Blizzard’s sole discretion.

I’ve never read the ToS to know if they have something similar for a regular player but I think someone can pull up chatgpt and find out if they really want to

1 Like

How can no one have a right to it…yet you feel that the govt shouldnt even be involved? Those statements seem contradictory…as govts are what give (or take away) rights.

But this goes beyond corporate overlords. Any business (even a mom and pop small one) should be able to limit what an employee (who signed a contract) does while officially representing them in public spaces.

If I worked for a local mom and pop store…wore their uniform…then went to some public arena and started spouting bigotry, etc…esp after I signed a contract stating I wouldn’t…they’d have an issue with it. Rightfully so.

1 Like

Hands Rabban a bowl of popcorn and nods
Yeah. They do that here. It’s okay, some intentionally mean it, some click the wrong reply button and you get to the the target of ire. It’s easier to just watch and see how it all plays out.

1 Like