Free Character Transfers Taking Too Long

I took advantage of the free character transfers to move off of Illidan. The estimated time to completion is now above two days (I initiated the transfer yesterday and as of today is giving me 1 day and 6hrs estimated). I am locked out of the characters until transfer is complete. Paid transfers are often completed in less than an hour. There should be a warning that transfers may take longer than expected because being locked out of your characters for that long is unacceptable; if I knew beforehand it would possibly take that long would have scheduled it for when I didn’t have time to play.

1 Like

I 2nd this! Finally have time off work to start the expansion and decided to change servers. Had no idea it would say 1 day 16 hours until it was too late. I dont understand how they offer transfers off a server due to queue times, then have the transfer take almost two whole days.

If you consider how many people are hypothetically taking these transfers off of full realms with queues, then the transfer system can get a little clogged.

2 Likes

More to add on what Jodariel said: there’s going to be a flood of people using it at once as everyone want off RIGHT NOW, which will slow everything down. Kind of hard to really warn of something without any real idea on how many will use it.

2 Likes

I get what your saying, but still feels awful. Today and tomorrow were going to be my first days off to play the expansion. Now It looks like I wont be able to log in until next monday and tuesday due to work.

As with all services- demand drives up the processing times. Race changing to allied races when they came out took forever too. Paid transfers are quicker because people are usually getting those transfers during low demand times. If someone were to pay for a transfer right now they would get hit with a long wait just like you guys are with the free one.

It sucks but sometimes you gotta use common sense. They’re offering something for free that you can bet A LOT of people are going to be trying to do

2 Likes

I know it’s a few hours old, but they did give that as a possibility when the free transfers went live:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/free-character-transfers-now-available-for-some-realms/743826

1 Like