Former wow dev confirms blood elves to horde

I didn’t mean it’s literally high elf land. Its not hard to infer what I mean and you’re purposely being obtuse about it.

It wasn’t night elf land, and it’s two feet away from the high elf kingdom. As far as the night elves knew, they were in an area likely settled by people they exiled. Which was confirmed when the prince popped his head out.

It’s not that deep. Not like you’re trying to argue in good faith, anyways.

2 Likes

People need to just accept that the Blood Elves are a Horde race and move on.

4 Likes

If they still haven’t by now, they’re never going to

1 Like

We’ve all accepted it. This post is about the reasoning being a sellout move

3 Likes

I mean… are we talking before or after the retcon where Blizzard said the Night Elves helped Quel’Thalas during the Troll Wars?

I… I just don’t get why BFA went to any trouble to give the Blood Elves any kind of retroactive positive past with the Alliance, but… there it was. Shandris helping during the Troll Wars, the exiled Highborne not even having been capable of making it through Alterac without the humans helping them survive… None of that was necessary. Granted elf lore in BFA was all over the place anyways. Lorash the 7,000+ year old Blood Elf, his mother, a Highborne who became a High Elf and died during the Third War to the Scourge… Elven aging got turned on it’s head.

3 Likes

A single portal mage for gameplay mechanics is a lore stretch, especially since mages were a class unavailable to them. Don’t forget the blood elves were descendants of people who were in their own ranks. If anybody is subject to the rules Malfurion and the rest of the night elves made, its the elves exiled for breaking said rules. Tyrande was in foreign land, and both her and Kael were more preoccupied with demons/scourge. I agree that there were signs of a bridge being mended.

You say the nelves/the alliance were “A product of writing” to start spying on the blood elves. I’d argue you got it backwards. The nightelves were changed to be accepting of the arcane use within the alliance. The night elves spying on the descendants of the highborn makes sense. They were cautious the blood elves actions were leading to another world scale demon invasion… and it almost did.

Definitely before. I could bring up how Tyrande had a lot of “Kind” things to say to the Nightborn, and how it applied to the blood elves as well, but it hardly pertains to decisions the devs made in TBC.

This is why its so difficult to come to an agreement here. I can make sense of why the elves went to the horde, you’ve made sense why they’d go to the alliance. Truth is, the writers flip flop the story more than Jaina’s stance on the Horde and made both sides viable and forced in their own ways.

Tyrande in WC3 was absolutely written to possibly have a change of heart towards the High elves. Maybe they weren’t all bad, just misguided cousins. But its a stretch to believe that they’d ever allow those highborn descendants siphon mana from their sacred moonwells. One of night elves key characteristic was their xenophobia… yet another thing the devs have been changing due to “A product of writing”.

Can you blame them? Green crystals with demonic eyes floating around every 5 feet with blood elves actively siphoning from it… If anything i’d say this is a dev looking at work already done and going “uhhh well the population didn’t actually know about fel, and they definitely didnt siphon it.” And thats ignoring all the wonky experiments they pulled in Outland

The devs want you to believe that the average citizen of quel’thalas saw everybody developed green eyes and never questioned it? Or what the giant demon crystals were doing? It’s just silly.

1 Like

Again, I need to disagree. The Night Elves couldn’t be bothered to defend their own sacred forests all throughout vanilla, despite them being lousy with demons, corrupted furbolg, satyr, naga, and orcs. They ignored, ‘reckless arcane magic use,’ by Highborne in their very own backyard (Dire Maul). The moment the Blood Elves join the Horde, however, all of that gets forgotten and then field an army halfway across the world to spy on the Blood Elves.

I’m sorry, but the Highborne whom became the High Elves and then the Blood Elves had been exiled. As in, they were no longer part of the Night Elven society, and not beholden to Night Elven rule or law. Otherwise, the Night Elves would’ve just wiped them out the moment they built the Sunwell and established Quel’Thalas.

To be clear, there are more benefits to the Blood Elves joining the Alliance, HOWEVER, that doesn’t mean it would’ve necessarily made sense either. I think it’s been said before, but the Blood Elves had been coded to become an antagonist/villains in the narrative. Making them playable was of course the better option, and much less of a waste, however, they should’ve been part of a Third Faction, rather than the Horde or Alliance. Of course, small chance of that happening.

Joining the Horde or the Alliance didn’t make sense for them to be honest. The Alliance might’ve had a few perks, but that still doesn’t mean it would’ve made sense. Meanwhile the Horde didn’t really have any perks at all.

1 Like

It is? Man I never knew Silverpine was right next to the Ghostlands.

I have, in many different places.
That doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s true, but if it’s fake I’ve seen some believable photoshops of blue posts.
Not that I’m mad about belves in the Horde. Lor’themar solidified them as Horde in MoP IMO.

Edit: Not the China part specifically, but asian audiences.

1 Like

And laughing at the fact that people kept saying blood elves belonged in the Horde when it clearly was nothing more then a marketing move. Fact it, the Horde as a playable faction would have died without them. Nevermind that they are pretty antithetical to the Horde aesthetic.

It had more to do with the fact that the race racials were so unbalanced in the alliances favor that if anyone wanted to do any end game raiding alliance was the faction to be on, that and the questing zones favored the alliance up until Cata.

People who loved the horde loved them because they were the MONSTER race who were trying to be the good guys, just a lot of poor gameplay decisions made it hard to stay horde if you were a progression player back in the day.

Or so I was told at the time

Blood Elves were made playable because people liked them - what a scandal!

Next you will tell me WoW has Gameplay content to garner subscriptions!

5 Likes

Blood elves were made playable as horde because of marketing and selling out. It’s literally in the first post here. Wtf are you talking about.

1 Like

Blood Elves weren’t just invented for WoW, they were already a thing with a large fan base prior to WoW. They were in WC 3.

Some one at Blizzard had the idea that making them playable would be profitable, since people like them. Imagine a company giving the people what they want, and being rewarded. Scandalous!

The criticism about “selling out” is laughable. A company sold out… to customers… more at 11.

10 Likes

I kind of chuckle when people claim a business sells out to its customers.

It’s called a good business decision. Kind of need to keep people around and playing if one wants to remain profitable ya know? :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I don’t think the alliance racials were better, but all of the end game attunement quests were easier and shorter for the alliance, and the alliance had closer access to almost all end game raids.

3 Likes

I agree that the idea of a company marketing a product can’t be considered, ‘Selling Out.’ That is what businesses exist to do; to sell their product.

That having been said, when an artist alters art from what they envision towards what is profitable, then yes, that would be considered, ‘Selling Out.’

The tricky thing is that Warcraft is both a piece of art in that it is exists as a narrative, and also in that it is a product in that it exists as a game. In an ideal world, one strives to keep the art pure, while creating a product that sells. In Blizzard’s case, that was never a concern. The art took a back seat to profitability.

The Horde desperately needed a conventionally attractive race to improve it’s numbers, and also bring Paladins to their ranks. It’s just a shame Blizzard couldn’t think of any other race, even a new race, that could have done that for them. Instead they went with the route of least resistance effort.

2 Likes

Malfurion said as much when he and Tyrande landed in Lordaeron… but do you. I don’t care to argue with someone who’s willfully ignorant :man_shrugging:

Which is par for the course, from what I’ve seen from you

h-ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4ONaPnh5T4

I dont think that they always belonged to the Horde. Theres plenty suggesting otherwise. But they ended up fitting quite nicely within the faction.

Considering the Ghostlands is pretty far from Lordaeron I don’t see why Malfurion would make such a mistake

1 Like

It helped push the Horde into the 2:1 global majority that it enjoys now.

1 Like