Former Blizzard Employee writes about it on Dailykos

Wasn’t really expecting it there.

Dailykos .com/stories/1834378

3 Likes

and…is there more to this thread?

2 Likes

https://m.dailykos.com/stories/1834378 clickable link.

Management is definitely the issue on the inside. Seeing as how management was untouched makes it pretty clear it will be the same for years to come in terms of company performance.

7 Likes

My presumption was that we would read the article and discuss it.

5 Likes

Well unfortunately I don’t click on links or go sites I am familiar with, so how about a synopsis on it and share your own view on the subject so we actually have something to discuss :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thank you. :slightly_smiling_face:

Can anyone summarize it Even though I’m a libertarian I won’t go to a ckose to a Communist way of thinking website.

And also for the record I don’t watch Fox News…
More of a reason reader

1 Like

Two quotes stuck with me…

Again, I understand that layoffs happen. But for a company with 50% profit margins to determine that 800 employees needed to go while no executive shared their fate is an incredible indictment of our corporate governance system that puts the value of shareholders above those who do the work.

Second, what makes this lay-off jarring is that Blizzard used to be run as a semi-autonomous business unit and the original management team built a player and employee friendly company. Mass layoffs were virtually unknown- last one was in 2010 I believe. This lay-off is illustrative of how far that old culture has changed.

Obviously, regardless of what daily impact the ATVI holding company has had on the development side, it seems like the cultural impact was more directly felt - & when corporate cultures change the employees approach to their work changes

6 Likes

You sound like an Alex Jones and Breitbart fan.

Alex Jones is a national treasure.

7 Likes

Typical corporatists. There is now a reason for me to never return to world of warcraft. 15 million in compensation just to take a role is to damn high. 1 million is too damn high.

Our world has come to the point where the executives make bank, at the expense of everyday labor, and have no qualms about destroying labor’s lives just to eke out a bit more profit for the shareholders. This is an indictment on activision blizzard.

I already quit, so there is not much more I can do, but until execs pay is cut, and developers are fairly compensated and the mad firings stop, I see no alternative than to play games made by small indie companies that fairly recompense their workers. It’s time to starve the beast, and activision is a beast.

Boycott time.

8 Likes

The opposite. Dailykos is essentially what real leftwing bias looks like. My kind of bias. When you hear right wing folks complain about msnbc or CNN they are trying to move the Overton window t this has been succesaful.

Nope and nope… They just as bad but on the right

And I like how you did not quote that I’m a reason reader

This article literally provided no new information whatsoever. That was a waste of my 3 minutes.

Thx

4 Likes

I read it and did I miss who wrote that commentary? I didn’t see a signature. It appears to be from a discussion board.

I imagine that when Mike Morhaim and Chris Metzen left that the culture died.

2 Likes

As long as people are posting commentaries I’d like to add another to this topic. I tried to post the link but the person used a censored word… so perhaps other’s can google it, I’ll sub the word ‘ask’ in place of the offensive word.

fanbyte com trending kiss-my-ask-activision-blizzard

Posters handle is overwatched. Not sure who is behind it.

1 Like

Goes to show that the article and person is wrong in some respects. The last layoffs were by Blizzard themselves in 2012. They let 600 people go.

So I would take that article with a grain of salt. People are upset and won’t be giving correct facts. There will be much drama and hyperbole.

3 Likes

Pretty sure “a**” is used in Blizzard games, I know “b****” is because Garrosh says it so not sure why they’re banned words.

2 Likes