Forced Name Change

So this morning I was doing my normal stuff then I get disconnected. Log back in and my name is being flagged for a name change. Onlyfans is innapropriate? So i open a ticket and thinking surely no one in their right mind will agree with this decision. Whoa boy was I wrong. Hell I even get threatened with a suspension. Jesus I was just making a valid point. Guess we can’t do that in this day in age without repercussions. So here is the response I get.

Hey Marcus,

Game Master {Removed} here. Thank you for contacting us about this character name.

So looking into this, the name you had that was reported and actioned, has not been one you have had more then a few months at most, so we know for sure this was not done prior to the popular website of an inappropriate nature becoming a thing. While there may be other characters using the name, its only due to them not being reported yet. We do not go retroactively hunt down characters with bad names and rely on the community to report and police that behavior. Once they are reported we verify the situation with the name and take action from there. This is not something we will be overturning, and future naming infractions will carry a suspension along with the rename of the character. Hope this clears up this situation.

Thanks for taking the time to contact us Marcus! If there is anything else we can do for you, please let us know!

Now no I haven’t had it before that site went up but I also had that name on my Priest a good while before I did the name changes. So it was more than a “few”. Now all the sudden its a huge deal. Do you people even know what Onlyfans is? It’s a platform just like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Tiktok, Snap Chat. All those are “Platforms” I for one Use it for the workout routines a guys gives for a subscription along with top picks from a well know crypto trader. So like I said in my ticket if I change my name to lets say Twitter, am I gonna get forced on a name change? Cause we all know there ain’t nothin PG-13 on that platform. I mean let me know I don’t want to get banned because of a damn name.

Yes. “Twitter” is an inappropriate name for a character. It’s trademarked.

If you need help finding a character name, try the name generator when you create a character. Or try a website like Fantasy Name Generator.

9 Likes

I’m pretty sure trademarks don’t apply to a pixel. Plus 118 other characters have the name along with 5 guilds

You weren’t being warned of a possible suspension because you questioned the action, Redlyne. It was simply a statement regarding further violations of our naming policy.

We generally give a warning for the first time, with no suspension and just a name change. If you continue to violate our naming policies those violations will escalate to in-game suspensions.

I can guarantee you that you are wrong on that one, Redlyne. There are several companies that prohibit the use of names that are associated with copywrite/tradmarks that they own, and that we have changed on that basis. Not every company cares, which is why not all names that may have a trademark are automatically changed/prohibited.

That other characters/guilds may have the name is not a relevant factor, Redlyne. Our policies are reactive in nature. Your name was reviewed and actioned because it was reported. If those others are reported they will also be reviewed.

It is also important to note that the Armory is a poor tool to be used for such verification as it may not be listing up to date information.

21 Likes

It’s just toxic and 100% BS. I guess I’ll just sit in Oribos, Org and Stormwind and report everything and anything I find offensive if were gonna be on the petty side of stuff. Yeah i’m irritated over it.

If that is how you want to spend your time, Redlyne, that is up to you. Keep in mind that simply reporting a name doesn’t change it. We have to actually find the name to violate our policies.

I’m sorry that you were impacted, but while you may not agree, it is not the same as twitter, facebook or tik-tok, etc… The name you were using has an association that is not generally appropriate for our game, sorry.

17 Likes

You’re really that wedded to having the name “Onlyfans?”

4 Likes

I’m not trying to insult you in anyway but have you seen Twitter? Lets be real here.

What may exist or be possible on Twitter is not the same as one of the more popular purposes of the platform you were referencing.

11 Likes

No but its principle. There was nothing really wrong with the name.

Other than a trademark violation…

6 Likes

Except for the fact that Twitter is a trademarked name.

4 Likes

A Trademark violation is unlikely, as the holder of that trademark usually must contact us to have it prohibited.

Understand, we must look at these names and how they would be used and interpreted. It is mostly the common definitions and interpretation, not necessarily how you might have been using it. I understand that you might not associate the platform in that way, but that isn’t the most common asssociation. Sorry.

9 Likes

well I renamed the character Sixx, for as it was my 6th character down on the selection screen. My god lets hope the number 6 isn’t trademarked or someone finds it offensive.

um, not to be that guy, isn’t Sixx the last name of Nikki of Motley Crew? Some one at some point might report that too.

1 Like

If someone finds it offensive i’m probly up for being suspended. You know, that #2 infraction since 2005 will get cha every time.

hell idk, here we go

Yes, Sixx:A.M. is an American hard rock band from Los Angeles, California, formed in 2007 by Nikki Sixx.

2 Likes

I find it doubtful Sixx by itself is going to be a problem.

6 Likes

It’s why I use the Fantasy Name Generator. Avoids all the hassles, as some people will report for the inane sort of things. I’m sure my shaman Thundertotem has been reported many times for his name (I have had him since Wrath)

3 Likes