FORCED 60yd nameplate maxrange is BS

Yes. If you’re used to the nameplates being a range indicator, e.g. they only pop up exactly at 40yds or less to notifiy you of all the targets that are in range, then it is highly disturbing if your screen is cluttered with nameplates and you cannot figure out who is in range and who isn’t.

Especially in AV when you’re behind the valley south of the alliance bridge and you have a big zerg going on downhill…

And no, ever since the latest patch, you can no longer set them below 60yds. It’s complete nonsense.

1 Like

I feels you.

Us healers need to know who we can heal and who we cant before we start mashing keybinds.

It would otherwise cost us time with making mistakes… esp in PvP where every second can mean the difference between life and death.

Though I think there is a script you can run to force it back to 40 yards… it just wont stay on indefinitely.

Will look it up and get back to you :slight_smile:

Just use an addon to decrease it, then.
You might want to consider that they were increased to 60 for a reason; not all ranged abilities are limited to 40 yards.
Your selfish argument for limiting them to 40 yards is the same as my selfish argument for keeping it at 60 yards. Maybe I want to know how far away I can use Sniper Shot when I’m playing marks?

Have some gumption and seek out solutions to your own problems instead of reverting to upsetti spaghetti.

2 Likes

It might also benefit healers to see who’s near death even if they’re just outside heal range… but to each their own.

Confirmed that you can limit the max render range anywhere from 5 yards to 100 under the CVars tab for KuiNamePlates. I’m sure other addons feature this option as well but this is the one I use.

1 Like

edit: misread complaint

Yes, it’s irritating as ranged (particularly in dungeons)

1 Like

Jesus. I might know why nobody talks about this, because nobody has a clue and does not read and pay attention.

The issue is that Blizzard RECENTLY changed the CVar for the nameplateMaxDistance to be at an UNCHANGEABLE default value of 60yds. Meaning EVERY SINGLE PLAYER is forced to have nameplates show up at a minimum of 60yds, WITH NO POSSIBILITY to reduce it back to 40yds like it used to be for the last 15 years.

And that’s a BIG issue and difference. Imagine if I changed your UI to some ridiculous setting with no possibility for you to change it back.

This change completely ruins playability for ranged specs that need to multi target and have an EXACT view upon what’s going on, especially if this always has relied on the information given through nameplates only showing up at a certain range.

To all the others: I’ve tried most Addons but no Addon that directly changes the nameplates themselves. I speak about the default Blizzard nameplates. Advanced Interface Options (the Addon) has a CVar browser and even a general setting under NamePlates, where you still can see the slider set to 40yds, yet if you cursor above it it now shows the new default value of 60.

I haven’t found ANY setting that actually manages to change this Cvar, it’s a completely protected CVar as of now, but on RETAIL.

Coincidentally, this happened a few days after they protected this CVar for WoW Classic, where it also made sense to limit the max range to 20yds, but NOT for retail. And especially not for a minimum setting of 60yds. It’s ridiculous how cluttered everything is, especially in Tol Dagor. Good luck playing a multidot spec there.

Other relevant threads I’ve found with very little discussion around it… because to no surprise to anyone, the majority of WoW players don’t play ranged, bar along ranged multi dot specs, so it’s obvious why few care.

I’ll test the Addon Kui Nameplates when I get home, but I highly doubt that it works.

'cept with addons, of course, which are completely free

'cept I already mentioned multiple times that this cannot be changed via Addons.

I’ve tried it with KUI nameplates and others and it simply won’t work.

What is so hard to understand about such a change made for a CVar to be protected? Protected settings cannot be modified.

I even found a guy in the comment section of the curseforge site for KUI nameplates

https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/kuinameplates?page=2#comments

Hello, I need help please, in RETAIL since 8.2.5 when i change max distance which nameplates are showing on, it doesnt take effect even though its saved, its always capped at 60y seems like …i tried modify cvars with AdvancedInterfaceOptions and also with kui and its indeed saved and doesnt reset …and yet its still showing on 60 yards…help me please its crucial for me to play with 40yards as max range…btw i am updating kui through twich client and always have most recent version.
*(seems like i am not only one having this issue)*

having the same issue as me.

You can still create range checks in weakauras.
Instead of researching ways around your issue, you opt to write angry paragraphs.

I don’t think you’re a very good healer or “ranged dps” if you only care about things within your casting range. You’re upset at a change that increases the amount of information displayed to the UI.

Are you for real?

This increase is IRRELEVANT in my specific case, it creates REDUNDANT and NOT WANTED clutter that HINDERS my gameplay. If at all, I’m one of the players that have a maximum information-UI and also hates this minimalist trend, but you can’t be serious with such a sentence.

I’m angry for every time they take away USER CHOICE and I absolutely am against forced settings, which this is.

What would you say if I forced your UI to display the maximum amount of information, no matter what? Like every single processor event, in real-time and everywhere.

You’d not be happy aswell.

I’ve researched this more than enough and sometimes you just don’t think about every possible solution, like your WA example. I never used WA as TMW does everything I need and I never felt the need to get WA seperately. So how could I come up with the fact that WA could have this functionality? In all the research I’ve done, I’ve not yet seen anyone mention this.

I made this topic on Reddit aswell, and someone gave me the idea of the Addon KUI nameplates having a similar functionality, but I can’t get it to work the way I need. It disables other nameplate Addon functions and bugs out, it’s not a solution.

Your sentence infuriates me especially because you blindly disregard my specific case which I explained for the exact reason. I care about this exact setting being right exaclty because I care about my gameplay. If such a forced setting hinders me to play in a situation effectively, then it is more than enough reason to complain.

The AV example should’ve been good enough, and any long-time ranged only played immediately gets the issue at hand. If you cannot see targets behind objects but CAN see their nameplates, the ONLY information you have in order to act upon the correct target is that range. In that scenario and others, like tol dagor, I absolutely DONT want nameplates shown of targets I cannot act.

You need to rethink your logic big time. What good is redundant information and for a person not even being able to filter out information that’s redundant? These are the first principles any IT student learns and VERY important principles aswell.

I really hope a person like you is never responsible for designing a database or any similar thing

It’s only a hinderance to your gameplay because you prefer tunnelvision gameplay.
A healer, for example, absolutely should know where people are, even if they’re out of range.

You’re extremely entitled and it’s on a subject that you can find third party solutions to with ease.

I can’t imagine how annoying you are to deal with on a customer service call.

You’re being unrealistic. Positioning is one thing, range is something entirely different, and the difference between being within range and outside falls to less than 1 yard.

We’re humans, not bots … we dont have the capacity to reliabily determine from visual checks alone in among movement and action :roll_eyes:

Hence why we rely on addons in the first place.

The change is probably intended to create more error ratios for players in efforts to artificially increase difficulty. It’s the same mentality that lead to forced Blizzard nameplates in Dungeons over addons, which for many players are much easier to read.

If these changes prevent script and addons from behaving as they used to, the only thing left is to find workarounds… a sound or visual aid for when the target is within 40 yards. It sucks I know… though it seems we dont have much choice, and Blizzard aren’t very responsive to these kinds of complaints alas.

1 Like

then you probably need the challenge
those pampers are pretty full

Sure, I bet healers around the world that use grid or other non- nameplate based UI elements would be VERY happy if suddenly their out of range indicator would be taken away completely, and they’d have to guess which target is in range.

Because this is EXACTLY what this change did for me.

And now stop trolling. I don’t even know what your intentions are at this point… trying to sound like a smartass and standing above others? Ego-trip much?

You’re too arrogant and ignorant to even understand this whole problematic in the first place. Or you willfully ignore it to just be a troll.

so you’re saying there are alternative ways to check range beyond limiting my nameplates range to 40 yards when I have 60 yard casts as a marks hunter?

:weary::ok_hand::smoking:

You really are that dense, are you?

WHERE did I say that it should be FIXED and limited to 40yd range ONLY?

Seriously. This is exactly my complaint. They took the ability to set it yourself the way YOU want AWAY, and that is exactly the problem. -.-
That’s what I want back. The ability to SET it to 40yd and not be stuck with 60yds.
You are not affected, so you fail to see when others are affected “what the big deal is”. Yeah, thanks a bunch. Unaffected people that want to dictate stuff that only affects others is exactly what’s wrong with politics.

I’ve explained this three times now, and you still don’t get it. Your only intent is to be seen superior and to talk down on others, without actually reading and understanding the complaint.

2 Likes

who hurt you

Yeah, I stand corrected.

Kui has an option to change the render distance but my chosen setting no longer appears to make a difference. Apologies for the misinformation.

Seems like a weird thing to take out of players’ hands.

No apology needed, you couldn’t have known. You should not apologize for actually providing an answer that might be a solution, because I certainly wouldn’t have thought of it and if it would’ve worked then I’d be infinitely grateful.

:slight_smile:

Scabber is the only person here incapable of reading the whole thread carefully and understanding what’s actually going on and why I’m frustrated with this.
It is never a good idea to take away user options, especially those that might be gamebreaking if you don’t let users set it.

:classical_building::rage::globe_with_meridians::bank:

2 Likes