For those of you on Ryzen

Hey all. I’m looking into building a new computer after Christmas/income taxes. I’m historically loyal to Intel, but I keep hearing good things about Ryzen, particularly Zen 2 when it comes next year.

Would it be worth switching sides to Team Red? Like, how good are they actually compared to Intel’s offerings? Keep in mind that I play more than WoW.

Secondary question: would it be beneficial to pair a Ryzen CPU with an Nvidia GPU? How well do games run on AMD GPUs?

welp before people start their brand war or accuse me for bias…

I use a ryzen 2700x and a vega frontier (gotten free, runs like a vega 64)

I have no issues at all with fps, before the update I would play fine averaging 40-50 fps in LFR, 40s in world boss fights. This is on 4k

before the update, sitting in Boralus, i would sit around 55-60 fps with like 40+ people around me, I play on a high populated realm

with the update today with the multi core support, my fps just shot up tremendously, for just Boralus alone on the high populated realm, my fps went up to almost 80 fps, I don’t even touch below 60 fps anymore

im sure the nvidia equivalent would work as well though

http://i.imgur.com/o6Uradi.jpg

Wow just had a massive multi thread patch. You’re not going to go wrong with a 6/8 core AMD or Intel CPU.

“bu-but that’s impossible for AMD!!!11!”

Intel K sku’s perform better at gaming than AMD across the board currently. Wait for Zen 2, see benchmarks, make your decision then.

I can confirm that my 5ghz overclocked i7-8700k beats my Ryzen 5 1600 overclocked to 3.8ghz in minimum frames by about 30%+ in WoW.

It’s not scientific because every world boss kill is different, but with similar GPUs both not maxed out and the same graphics settings, the Ryzen was dropping into the 50s whereas my Intel was dropping only into the 70s.

It’s likely the faster and higher clocked Ryzen+, along with faster tighter ram, would perform 15-20% better, so still could be above 60 (still slower than Intel)

In both cases, CPU utilization is 30% or under. So a 4/8 is probably going to be fine for wow.

That said, I got the Ryzen 1600/x370 mobo/16gb ram for only $265 shipped. That’s at almost half the cost of my 8700k and the cooler alone. So great value without a doubt.

The client scales more than 8 threads on both Windows and *nix now.

CPU needs haven’t changed for the game: get the fastest multi-core CPU you can afford. The GPU needs have. Get a VEGA or Turning for best performance now.