For those of you avoiding retail, would you play retail content on pristine realms?

To the OP:

They dont get it.

Retail is a bloated mess of empty calories.

While Classic is a condensed nutrient bar.

I got my Rogue to level 22 yesterday and BARELY was able to complete the first series in the poison Quest chain in the Barrens.

Every move was calculated. I had to use distract to lure two lvl 25’s away from the stair case and sneak up the staircase being so close to tgem i was sure i was going to aggro.

Systematically pick off 2/3 patrolling goblins. Blow all cds to take Gallywix’s head.

Then pick off one by one double patrolling mobs with 1-3 hits away from death each time.

Wait 5 mins for my cds to reset before i could kill the next lvl 25.

My heart was racing. I needed to utilise every tool i had (Sticky glue from lvl 5? Glad i held onto that!) Every decision relied on smart use of perfect decisional economy.

Then… i log back into retail to ‘WtfBoom’ 6 mobs on my DK.

Yeah - not the same game.

If retail with its incredible story and art potential could have that kind of immersion, WoW could be something else entirely.

But its not.

3 Likes

Most Retail servers still have raiding guilds, so I don’t see this as a huge problem. That said, I kind of agree that Retail is heavily dependent on cross realm. Even Classic will probably have cross realm battlegrounds, though that’s a controversial decision.

If you think the journey to 60 is the same as doing the same quests every single day pulling a slot machine lever well then…

2 Likes

It wasn’t destroyed by casuals. It was however destroyed by “people who complained on the forums and ruined the game i loved”, some of whom were casuals and some of whom were hard core raiders and PVPers, along with the devs who listened to them.

You’re right it is worst.

They are both just quests you know - world quests are the same quests you did leveling up.

Yes it does. If it really were a bad game, people wouldn’t play it.

Its a fine idea for something a bit different, I guess…but I don’t think it addresses many of the reasons people have for not liking Retail.

When that post was made, pristine servers were just brought up because at that point in time, JAB still didn’t understand the people who wanted classic and I promise you the bean counters were questioning if the effort to create classic. They didn’t understand the people having fun on “that other server” that was shut down.

Pristine would be pointless for someone like me since the only reason I stuck with retail for several years was casual raiding with friends from another server. I promise I wasn’t sticking around because I found garrisons and WQ engaging lmao.

Same to you.

Clean Slate

Everyone rolling a level 1 within the 1st week of Classic’s launch put everyone on an even playing field. It put everyone in similar zones which “forced” people to interact. This is part of the charm of Classic.

I felt this in retail when they launched Mechagon except people had good gear. I especially felt it in Naz where mobs ACTUALLY HURT. Still, not enough to force groups.

The only way I’d be interested is if somehow the expansions were changed to branch off horizontally instead of vertically.

Leave cap at 60 and let item scaling be the main source of power (maybe 20-40 ilevels per expansion, not 100.) Add in class quests to learn new skills and talents. Maybe give a talent point for completing each zone. Keep the original talent trees, maybe add a row with each expansion; maybe not. Let power creep like it does in Classic, not jump all at once so everything but the current expansion is rendered pointless.

I know, too much reconfiguration involved, never happen.

1 Like

Nah. I wouldnt be playing wow if classic had not been released.

The only other versions of wow I would be interested in are TBC and MoP.

TBC for the raids, MoP for the destro lock pvp. :wink:

The AH on retail is cross faction. They’re also x-realm for those realms that are connected, and that is . . . a lot.

illidan is a full realm and it’s 95% horde. almost everything on their ah is horde stuff. that’s why i said illidan and not a balanced realm. :stuck_out_tongue:

I like Classic better for a number of reasons.

But the main reason is that I am grouping with people for non-dungeon and non-raid content to complete outdoor, non-instanced quests.

The only time I join a group in Retail is for LFD or LFR and it’s all randos who don’t know or care about one another. They are only there for loot and nothing else.

Retail’s entire game play loop and class design is awful. You couldn’t pay me to play that game.

That just doesn’t sound believable. At best it sounds like going back to is what you really wanted to anyways and grasping anything you can to justify.

No because you can remove all the useless fluff he mentioned but it doesn’t change the fact that the core of the game is unfun in so many ways. Nothing is ever going to make that better outside of a complete overhaul.

Nope. The game itself is garbage.

the classic community is very different from the retail community. and it’s worse imo. just because you don’t see it doesn’t mean it’s not true, TO ME.