For those against sharding at launch

Really? I didn’t find it empty at all.

Did you play Vanilla in Nov 2004-March 2005?

If the demo sharding is an indication of what they’ll do at launch…I cringe.

1 Like

No, I unfortunately didn’t start WoW until December 25, 2009.

That’s because yiu didn’t play vanilla.

1 Like

I did play on one of those undocumented servers though.

Trust me when I say that you have never seen a vanilla crowded zone then. It was fun to compete to some extent for kills. Sometimes frustrating, but that’s part of the game.

Which aren’t authentic in the slightest.

1 Like

Fair point, well made.

I can’t comment on the illicit servers since I never bothered.

Trust me, I wouldn’t recommend it. I mean, I found it fun, but when I realized I was getting attached to my character and that I was playing on a server that could easily cease to exist overnight, I quit about two weeks in.

Hell that was why I didn’t even play the demo as much as I wanted to.

It’s fun as long as it doesn’t go overboard. At it’s best there are enough that you may want to group up, but not so many you find yourself just standing there more than you get to play.

That’s why I’m in the “Sharding 1-20 zones only during the first 6 months” camp, with 100-200 servers max. After that, no sharding, 5k max server caps.

With all the things that can go wrong with an MMO, I’m of the opinion MMOs in general were just a bad, bad idea…

Six months!? It shouldn’t be more than a couple days…if that.

6 months? Too long.

Hey, “the Xenials” had that whole “Helicopter parent” thing going for them. The less said about the Millenials the better. =P

1 Like

MMO’s were a brilliant idea, it just took a long time for the technology and development to catch up with what players could do.

Those early days of playing MMO’s had a pretty understanding and patient group of people playing them, otherwise you didn’t last long.

1 Like

If they set the Shard caps high enough, they’ll naturally peter out because there won’t be enough people to trigger a second shard. Once they see that happening, they can choose to end them early. 6 months is a “hard and fast date” IMO.

1 Like

Eh…

I dunno. Personally I don’t like how they set the new “always-online DRM” trend. You can’t even play a fully single-player game without connecting to the internet anymore unless it’s a Bethesda title. And even that may not be the case anymore…