Food for Thought: The Road to Fel

…is paved with good intentions.

Today’s Question: What’s a time when your character (or characters) attempted to do something good, but it ended up turning out really badly instead?

Background:
Since I think this one is pretty self-explanatory, I’ll launch right into my own answer as an example!

I play Keelath, a blood elf death knight who, up until recently, was a loyal follower of Sylvanas. He kept that loyalty for a long time, believing that 1) Sylvanas was what saved the Forsaken people from annihilation when they were fresh out of Scourge control, and 2) she might have had good intentions and a “master plan” behind her most questionable actions, and also a little bit of 3) that maybe her evil actions were a direct result of the curse and trauma she had weathered. He saw a piece of her in himself, too, where he suffers from his undead bloodlust and has also done some pretty questionable stuff for what he thinks are good reasons. (Such as participating in the blighting of Hillsbrad to win the war and save the Forsaken.) Keelath’s loyalty of course turned out badly as it was revealed Sylvanas was a pretty bad apple and fled, and Keelath narrowly escaped being imprisoned or exiled himself by quickly swearing into the new Horde. (Not to mention, of course, the bad things Keelath himself did.)

While this is a more serious example of an answer to this question, I encourage you to not just think of world- and life-changing events. Perhaps trying to host a surprise party for a friend led to your character almost getting kicked out of Orgrimmar? Or casting that spell to clean out the lab almost led to a Sorcerer’s Apprentice-like sequence of events of the lab coming alive and trying to eat all your favorite books?

Well? Let’s hear it!

She and the others part of the rescue mission to save Esarosa were successful in finally banishing the demons, no thanks to her divine magic from Elune. For whatever reason, her faith proved too weak to shackle the head demon in light, as her spells and prayers she’d worked on specifically for the mission should have provided. It didn’t matter though, the girl was saved, albeit in a terrible, fatal condition. At least her Leap of Faith prayer worked to pull the girl to safety when her chains broke and she fell towards the lava. Esarosa was terribly wounded though, with cuts, broken bones, bleeding gashes all over. She needed some sort of healing right away or she would die. Aura saw her opportunity to use her specialized talents.

“I can take care of her wounds! Let me heal her!” Before any answer or rebuttal came Aura knelt down and prayed to Elune to heal the wounded creature, as was her calling.

“Wait, no! Aur…!” One of the members tried to warn her, but it was too late. The prayer produced a healing light of holy goddess magic, and the worgen girl burned, writhed, in worsening agony. Aura stepped back in horror, her magic never having such an affect on a person like that before. “Esarosa has cursed blood, Aura. She can’t be healed by holy magic. It will kill her.”

Aura almost cried in frustration. How completely useless she’d been on this mission so far, and now she’d been counter-productive. What good was the power of Elune on cursed victims? The death knight of the party knelt before the dying worgen girl, testing another theory. “Perhaps I can use my death magic I use to create animated dead to bend her flesh and keep her stabilized, but it won’t allow her to move on her own, and I’ll only be able to keep it up for a short amount of time.”

Aura watched with disgust as the death knight channeled her unholy energy to start closing the wounds. The worgen’s flesh twitched and irked, trying to seal the gashes haphazardly. It would be a tentative stabilization, but she would need some kind of actual healing. Aura knew of a number of different ways a person could be healed without holy prayers: a warlock’s health stone, an alchemist’s potion, a medic’s bandage, a mage’s conjured mana food…but none of these were available to the party, since the organizer, a warlock, got separated from the group earlier in the night. Now all they had was a wounded warrior, a death knight, and a useless priestess of Elune.

A useless priestess…no, there was one other way, and the only one available to them short of killing the girl and raising her as a death knight’s minion. “We need to move her. We need to find something, anything for us to fight around her.”

“Are you crazy? Combat would surely do her in! She can barely move, let alone…”

“The only way to heal her at this point is to use a vampiric embrace shadow spell.”

“And you have this ability? Doesn’t that go against ‘the Light of Elune’?” Aura didn’t like being reminded of that fact.

“We don’t have a choice.”

1 Like

This is some poetry I wrote upon the creation of my BE warlock Felinthice. She is recreated here on CC, but low level. She would love company, by the way, if anyone is levelling something Horde side and would be open to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ-TLZcS0Es

Silent Scream

Who among you stalk the halls,

Of shattered Keeps and ruined walls?

Searching for the secrets old,

Ancient tomes of truth untold?

Do the whispers touch your soul,

Like distant bells lonely toll?

Do your eyes disturb the haunts?

Shadows flicker, sigil taunts.

Raise your eyes to search the ceiling,

Weathered paint the scene revealing.

Icy fingers trace your ear,

Wordless scream your sudden fear.

Silence fills the empty hall,

A single drop of tear may fall.

Crumpled on the dusty floor,

Felinthice will rise once more.

Cupid’s bow of luscious red,

Denies the finalty of dead.

A bond that lingers in the blood,

Cross dimension like a flood.

The rustle of a silken gown

Stirs the dust falling down.

Fingers trace a bloody trail

To leave a message without fail.

Linger here and feel the dread,

Of tingling spine and weary head.

From your eyes the salty tear,

I can taste delicious fear.

Stay with me and sate my hunger.

Run and you will suffer longer.

Wish you may for swifter death,

The rattle of your final breath.

As the flicker of the flame

Dances in the demon’s name,

Jealous angels sacrifice

Virtue to the endless vice.

Pleasure in a lover’s touch,

Leads to pain, but not too much.

Heightened senses long to feel

Gentle hands lust reveal.

Life is but a flickered flame,

Summoned from the Ethered Plane.

Will it come to lover’s call?

And refuse Light’s sweet pull?

Is there fear within your soul?

Awash like waves on sandy shoal,

Reaching for the edge of reason

No relief the change of season.

Pulled from Death the sweet release,

Back to beg for more to please.

Aware of all the sacrifice

Made to satisfy the vice.

Scented oils to ease the friction,

Crimson stains feed the addiction.

Not a drop will go to waste,

So exquisite is the taste.
2 Likes

I mean Zurom and Keelath are a lot alike with their loyalties to Sylvanas with a few differences. Zurom grew up in Windrunner Village and saw Sylvanas as a hero his entire life, even more so after she gave her life in protection of Quel’thalas and then sent her forsaken troops to the ghost lands.

Zurom has a long history of serving under Sylvanas. In outland he filed reports on any information he think would serve her well. He volunteered to serve her in Northrend when Lor’themar was reluctant to give her any troops eventually becoming an ambassador in army. It was pretty much his job to convince others to trust in the forsaken and its military after the fall out of the wrath gate and Gilnean wall. We fought in her name on both the Thunder Isle and Siege of Orgrimmar. When she first became warchief he almost felt pride in his position. That finally after years pleading for people to trust in Sylvanas that she would lead them to victory.

Even during the Battle of Darkshore Zurom remained loyal to her. He no longer felt any sense pride in his position but like Keelath hoped she would have a plan in all this. For awhile he treated war missives like a gospel of sorts by explaining the reasons and plans behind all these actions. He truly believed that in serving Sylvanas he was serving the greater good. That it would help the Horde remain not only strong but unified. It shook him to the core to hear Sylvanas say “The Horde is nothing”. He even spoke with Keelath about this at Windrunner Spire after she left and if it could possibly mean something else.

Long story short Zurom tires his best to be a good person. I didn’t even go into the fact that he is also a warlock and there for also has a history working with demons to accomplish these goals as well.

1 Like

Uhhh, not as long as some of the other entries here… but there was that one year Z decided to “help” celebrate the Love is in The Air event and made a love potion…that he added to a batch of specialty drinks for the holiday… without telling anyone.

2 Likes