Follower dungeons compared to normal

Follower dungeons were introduced and it seems some players are not happy with the fact that experience is being throttled and there are restrictions to the number of dungeons that can be done. But i am left to wonder why as what they have release is completely in line with what the dungeons are supposed to be.

The dungeons were not intended to be a primary way to level up or to gear out your character. Dungeons with players should always offer more experience and the daily restriction means that playing with other players remains the best way to get gear.

The purpose of follower dungeons should be entirely for completion.

4 Likes

I’m wondering, is the restrictions to the number of dungeons tied to our account, or to each alt? I mean, if I have 5 alts, will each one be able to do 2 dungeons or will each one be able to do 10 a day? Ten a day seems like a good number, as there isn’t really that much to do on normal dungeons. We can get better gear through quests and XP isn’t that great to try leveling an alt. I just like running them and sometimes it’s hard to find players that aren’t rude. So it’s nice to get in with a group that won’t kick me for not playing like they want me to play.

Blue Post reply in another Follower Dungeon thread earlier today:

5 Likes

has anyone hit the 10-dungeon cap yet?

Reading the title, I was hoping that the OP was going to compare the two…

Anyone do any follower dungeons today and care to share how it went and how long it took?

And yet they serve very little purpose if they aren’t an avenue for leveling. Perhaps blizzard should improve them since there is a clear demand for it.

Why? You can quest solo or in a group and get XP much faster than follower dungeons.

Even if you accept that concept blindly there’s still no reason for the gap to be as wide as it is.

Player dungeons are currently much faster to clear, have a massive random dungeon xp bonus and you get more xp from the mobs since there’s zero follower dungeon penalty. Do they need to be that much better? What if they were only slightly better instead?

Oh, I thought we were told they were about learning, even though it was a feature launched past the halfway point of the expansion and there aren’t many players of DF who haven’t already been in the only dungeons available to the system.

:man_shrugging:

I did one Ruby Life Pools as a 60 something warlock solo.

The NPCs are fairly weak so the one time I tried to pull like 3 groups at once the tank almost died. You’re forced to go at a fairly slow pace but they’re easy to complete. I’d guess the system works best for geared tanks thanks to their self sufficiency in DF. Maybe they can go a bit faster.

I did it without toggling the dungeon assist on so I just walked forward, they followed and when I pulled the tank NPC very quickly would aggro everything.

I thought it would have been neat if you could order them in some way even maybe via the ping system, but pinging attack or anything else doesn’t do anything. They just follow and assist you basically like pets in assist mode, or lead the way if you toggle them into the leader mode, but I haven’t tried that.

Oh and the most useful thing, the mage NPC makes you a table at the start of the dungeon.

3 Likes

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. It seems like an interesting concept but so far Blizzard AI has always been disappointing so it is interesting to see if they improved with follower dungeons

Tried it but the followers voted and kicked me out.

2 Likes

I did RLP.

I ran around as ret pulling everything and after the second boss, the AI-tank and AI-healer dropped group. then an AI-DPS joined and left. then group filled back up after I had killed a few trash packs. (note, i ran the upper ring really fast and tagged the 4 mobs so when I pulled boss, the group was WAY out of position).

The NPCs are … as chaotic and jumping-around as real players but their paths are inferior to real players who are trying to do the dungeon.

tank was taunting and keeping aggro well.

p.s. AI was set to lead.

1 Like

I ran my 455 BDK alt thru with 4 AI followers in Halls. The hunter AI pulled an extra pack that was nowhere near us, but it was handled well. The AI did better interrupts than I see in +18s on my main, and I didn’t really have any big problems.

A couple of times the dps followers died on a large pack pull, and 2 of them died on the third boss because they hid behind cracked ice blocks.

But overall it was easy. Granted it’s a Normal so it was going to be easy but I think it took maybe 15-20min?

I’ll need to take a sub-70 dps thru next and see how chaotic things get. I didn’t see any of what other players are describing.

Not sure I really want the AI to lead…

2 Likes

Whaaaat!? The AI characters drop group and you have to refill with more AI characters. That’s hilarious.

Were they the same toons or did they get replaced with randos?

I didn’t pay attention, but it didn’t instantly fill. I got to clear from boss 2 to boss 3 - the bridge pulls before more joined.

1 Like

I tried a couple, they are amusing, but I don’t think they will be used to replace grouping. They are way too slow, I imagine they are just for questing/practice, but it is funny that Blizzard made some of the NPCs do weird player stuff. All they needed was player names (like that low level rogue “Dumass” in Hillsbrad.)

2 Likes

Instead of a 10 dungeon per day limit, they should have made the 11th dung you attempt spawn AI Leroy Jenkins to your group and he proceeds to aggro half the dungeon.

3 Likes

LOL! Make it a 1 in 100 chance Leeroy Jenkins AI shows up randomly in the party and does what he does best!

1 Like

Mannnnn, ya’ll knew these followers were too weak when ya’ll tested this stuff.

Playing all kinds of games with the xp and all kinds of restrictions. It was a good idea. Stop messing around and just give it to us straight. Ya’ll know what we’re trying to do.