"Folder doesn't contain correct version of game"

I have been having a lot of trouble with Bnet Launcher lately. Frequent crashes and inability to update properly. Most recently it is telling me to install the game even though I can play it just fine from the install folder. I tried locating the game but when I do it just says that there is not a correct version of the game in that folder. I’ve already uninstalled and reinstalled twice to no avail. My firewall is temporarily disabled and I have turned off all addons. I don’t know what else to do and I am sick and tired of fixing all my settings and UI’s every time I reinstall. I am not very tech savvy and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Archibuld,

It sounds like either there’s a problem with the Battle.net app install, or maybe there is something running in the background that’s causing file corruption with the WoW install (since it’s happened after a game reinstall).

Here’s what I’d recommend trying to start:

Press Windows Key+R.
Type msconfig and press Enter.
Select Selective startup and uncheck Load startup items.
Select the Services tab.
Check Hide all Microsoft services.
Note: Skipping this step may prevent your computer from rebooting correctly.
Click Disable all.
Click Apply then click OK.
Click Restart.

As for the error about the folder not containing the correct version of the game, what you can do is open up the World of Warcraft folder where the game is installed, go into the _retail_ folder and then delete the WoW.exe file. Once that is done hit Install on the Battle.net app and it will recreate the file and use all of the existing game data that is already there.

If you’re still having problems please go ahead and submit a ticket along with your MSINFO and DXDIAG files so we can take a look at your system for any other potential issues.

5 Likes

This was the perfect answer. A lot of misleading info in the internet to solve a trivial problem that should have this answer as first. In fact, please correct Blizzard official explanation for this problem at https://eu.battle.net/support/en/article/29676

2 Likes

Please don’t necro posts.

Check the last post date before replying.

1 Like

Thanks for the necro-bump, Zungar, deleting the exes avoided a total reinstall, this worked for me.