Flying mount combat

Some of the common objections around flying mounts is that it ruined WPVP, as all a person has to do is swoop down, gank a player and then fly back into the air on their mount.

What if Blizzard allowed air to air combat? No, not the kind of air combat most of you are probably thinking, what many people before me have suggested, not regular combat. I’m talking about mounts with basic abilities, nothing special.

Something similar to pet battle abilities, nothing complex, just something to fight with so people can’t hang around on a flying mount in a pvp server and subvert the whole system.

I think people would really enjoy this, having green, blue, epic and legendary mounts that are ever so slightly better than one another and have different abilities depending on what type of mount it is. That would take mount collection to another level like pet battles did with pets and give people something to play around with.

Also, there’s a pre TBC developer video I can’t find anymore that shows flying mounts with a more tight flight control like you’d have with a plane in GTA V. Not sure why they didn’t keep it that way cause it made the mounts look much more natural, but I’d love to see that played with as well as the mounts abilities and flight speed.

Who’s with me?? Any thoughts?

Current Blizzard struggle with coding the belt on your character to show up correctly over a tabard… you expect them to handle mounted combat?

3 Likes

“Engage in aerial dogfights with flying mounts and new, gnome-engineered planes.” straight from the box art for wotlk that was teased at blizzcon in 2007

2 Likes

they couldnt get it to work properly and it wasnt fun. they scrapped the air combat and thats how we got vehicle combat during Ulduar (first boss) / strand of the ancients bg / wintergrasp / Totc Raid with the horses

battlegrounds killed world pvp more than flying mounts did, but I don’t see how flying combat would entice anyone unless it was specific to a certain zone like wintergrasp

1 Like

BGs ruined world pvp initially then server imbalances destroyed it completely when the minority faction got ganked out of existence at the bottleneck locations like Kara, ssc, tk summoning stone, farming spots

Flying mounts didn’t do crap lol

1 Like

Battlegrounds ruined WPVP. Flying had nothing to do with it.

I remember the day BGs were released, it went from being cutthroat gut punches everywhere you went, campers, flight path ganks, just basically like every zone was blasting slayer on fullblast.

To tumbleweeds blowing passed and the sounds of crickets.

Knew a few people who straight up quit during the P2 period before BGs were released because it was impossible to do anything that wasn’t world pvp.

If we want to point the finger of blame of faction imbalances, and formerly healthy servers dying it’s all from phase 2 world pvp without an outlet in battlegrounds

1 Like

That applies to ground mounts as well… Ride in, Gank, Ride out.

Do you mean the thing in Wrath that everyone hated and avoided like the plague?

Classic+ is not happening. This is a Classic+ feature.

Building new content for an old game is a non-starter. If it came to Retail, then maybe they could choose to retrofit it in during TBCC Season of Wacky, but it won’t be something they create for TBCC or even Wrath Classic.

Everything no. Nothing, also no. Flying had an onflow effect that the world had less people engaged in travel as part of the landscape, because you’d just point your flying mount in the right direction and go get a drink. This definitely helped reduce the random encounters in PVP servers, though Battlegrounds were the lion’s share of “Why people don’t gank you in the world any more.”

1 Like

Objectively wrong.

World PvP died in phase 2 of Vanilla.

Died no. Reduced significantly, yes.

I know you are who you are, but your blanket claims of black and white are 99% of the time half wrong :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You are incorrect.

I mean to be fair Glinda is kind of right. After Phase 2 the only world PVP that occurred was people looking to ruin another players time not actually pvp otherwise they would just BG.

So you ended up in a situation where it was griefers vs people trying to level and people trying to get to a dungeon entrance.

World buffs is the only thing that kept the miniscule amount of world pvp around.

Herod was 33:67 AH ratio for the longest time but then world buffs went away and all the alliance transferred off. Can’t dispel them may as well make the pvp servers pve servers.

Wolk old forum was extremely vocal about how much they hate vehicle combat.

we had it in 3 of the 4 tiers and was not well received.

Flame leviathan was done very well, but the rest… not so much. Jousting and flying is waht OP is asking for. Jousting on ground was not enjoyed so with flying - which palyers such at (as shown by al’akir in cataclysm and malygos in wolk) it’d be a terrible idea.

This will never happen here. You should ask for things like this in retail.
:axe:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.