Flashing again with Nvidia Card

yup, i made it for three with no issues after a tuesday server maintenance, but it’s back and has gotten worse after yesterdays sm, world latency in the 200’s, packet loss, worse than dial up

1 Like

The worse part is how completly random it is. Some days I can go literally hours without a issue, other days the game will stutter and I’ll get a Game not responding every other minute or so. I hope they fix this issue soon.

And before anyone chimes in with It’s you, there is no issue no other game does this but WoW. So blizz definitely did break something for some of us.

Anyone tried the new .59 drivers from today? No mention of a fix but then Blizz doesn’t seem to want to even acknowledge it’s back either

I had no issues with todays updated drivers. As for Blizzard not acknowledging, it is on Nvidia to fix their drivers, not anything Blizzard can do about it.

I just found out NVidia has 2 different drivers for most of its cards:

• GeForce Game Ready driver
  • NVidia Studio driver

Both drivers have all the same capabilities with the difference being that The Game Ready is faster for games but the studio driver is more stable.

I had the flashing issue with the Game Ready driver and DX12. I installed the Studio driver and so far with DX12 I’ve had no flashing issues, but we’ll see…

That’s not actually the difference between them. The GRD sets just means they’ve got the profiles added for new release games which the studio drivers don’t. Underneath they’re still functionally identical, and any existing profiles (such as the WoW profile, which has been basically untouched since the early 400s) are still very much in place.

The “stability” of the studio drivers is simply due to holding back the newer profiles. As much as they shouldn’t interfere with anything (they’re based on executable name, and sometimes short paths) there’s always a chance they might.

Touching back with a tentative fix.

Managed to spot some fresh flickering (exclusive to alpha textures - specifically the portal flare and soul “well” in Oribos) so took the opportunity to experiment. Setting a specific graphics card, despite only having one option, caused all flickering to halt whether MSAA was in use or not.

I cannot say for certain this is a fix, however. Specifying a graphics card caused the graphics engine to restart, which in itself may have been enough to clean it up as I’d just come off the back of a three hour raid. So it’s possible that it is some kind of corruption which needs to be cleaned periodically, meaning “/gxrestart” may be sufficient to temporarily clear it as well.

Will report back after tomorrow’s raid and checking the same location without having changed anything.

It will come back. This was found the first time this happened last year. It just temporarily goes away due the gfx engine resetting.

That’s what I was figuring. But better to test to be sure as no-one else seems to have tried it (or has and hasn’t reported back). Just in case Blizzard put in some kind of vendor detection following MPO being added which isn’t triggered by “Auto”.

Can confirm no joy. The coloured markers for Blaspheme during Anduin were flickering, so it’s not really a good point to test anything.

Has anyone that was getting flashing in previous 500 series drivers with DirectX 12 enabled happened to try the new .95 drivers that came out recently? Wondering if they might have fixed the issue, but I don’t want to be the test subject. Still annoyed that months into the 500 series drivers Blizz still hasn’t responded to the multiple threads in here talking about the issue from last year returning.

What do you expect them to say about it? “We’re aware but we can’t do anything about it as it requires a driver-level fix from NVidia due to their insistence on not adhering to the DirectX standards as set by Microsoft.”?

Somehow I don’t see that going down well even with people who understand the situation.

3 Likes

So, cautiously optimistic, but after a couple days with varied activity from in world to raid, it seems Nvidia fixed the issue without listing it in the known issues or fixed issues. Just made the jump from the 497’s to the new 516.40 and not seeing the flashing now with DX12, MSAA 2x, and RT shadows on. I’ll update again if I see it come back. Also seems to have fixed a weird pixel lag issue my main monitor was having when set to max refresh.

randomly found this dunno if it helps my wife and I had a 2070 super and me a 2070, we had that problem all the time , different drivers, maa on off etc nothing seemed to fix the flickering for good, recently updated to 3080tis and no issue dunno if it helps or not just wanted to add it in. I think it started around 9.1 timeframe in ardenweld mostly with things like plants and waterfalls, and the bud 5 flowers quest , Minor annoyance so never bothered, got to zm and those HUGER bubbles Flickered like crazy, various setting changes made it go away briefly but never for good been running on the 3080s for about 2 months now no issues at all

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.