Fix your lag already

I’ve experienced the mount lag as well. I just attribute it to a server overload.

It is quite funny running through the air while ‘mounted’ and swimming while using an FP. Get the right angle and it makes you look like a giant lol.

1 Like

I experienced that once. It was very funny. I just logged out and came back in, and I was on the mount.

1 Like

I’m noticing substantial DPS drops on feral and rogues when there is server lag.

Starting to suspect these two classes get hit harder than most by not getting energy for skipped server ticks.

1 Like

It’s more the whole spells that are taking at least a second to cast issue more than anything. You cannot cast your 1 second spell one after the other since the first one takes 1-2 seconds, the next one takes 1-2 seconds so you are losing that most important time.

But yes the lack of resources gained just adds to it, like my DK who cannot use their spells, cannot gain runic power, cannot use my other spells, it all slows it down.

The problem I suspect with ferals and rogues is they rely on regen for their damage. They don’t have huge mana pool that can last them through most fights.

If there’s latency everything is just happening a little later, but if it’s reducing regen that’s just a straight up DPS Loss for rogues and ferals.

What’s led me to suspect this is the raiding dummy in Boralus. I get pretty consistent results for 2 minute runs at it. But when I notice substantial lag I can be doing 1-3k less dps on it.

The automatic regen happens no matter what, the minute you drop below Max resources regen happens. It is not the regen lag, but the lag you your spells not registering as fast as they should.

So you hit your backs tab coming out of stealth on your rogue right? It should hit, one GCD later you should be able to now hit multilate? I am doing this right yes? I haven’t played a rogue in some time.

Once you mutilate you now have 2 combo points and in that same time your resources have regened enough to hit one of your finishing spells, the enemy you hit is dead.

But what if when you hit back stab it takes a second to register, than a GCD ticks over, before your multilate takes another second to register, that is 2 whole seconds of no DPS, assuming every single spell is 1 second delayed, on someone who has no cast time, that half’s your DPS, the game will still regen your resources it just won’t register you are using them as fast as you are trying to.

So try this, go to a training dummy somewhere there is no lag, like Silvernmoon since you will be the only person there, drop your training turnip thing or find a dummy if there is one, or take someone to duel, record your DPS at full force and than do it again but count roughly a second in between each hit.

You won’t exactly get half because you now have double the time where you are gaining resources instead of waiting for them, but you will be substantially less.

That may not be the case.

If the server is bogged and not hitting it’s desired tick rate there could be an issue with regen.

If it’s coded like:

onTick ()
{
user.energy += user.energyPerTick;
}

as oppesed to

onTick ()
{
user.energy += ( currentTick - user.lastProcessedTick ) * user.energyPerTick ;
user.lastProcessedTick = currentTick;
}

And every second your only getting 4 ticks instead of 20, you’d be getting less energy.

And it may be coded the first way since it would be server and in the tick loop, so optimization is an issue.

I have no idea how it is coded, I have no idea where you got that from and you could very well be right, but at 100% resources and your spells taking 1-2 seconds to do anything most certainly affects what is happening.

Over here on Ysera/Durotan I experience no lag at all in cities like Org or Zandalar, or even Undercity (time shift).

I suspect it’s either your connection (run a trace route / MTRR) or your computer is a toaster.

I get lag in Legion stuff lol. UC should be no lag, no one there. It’s random, I only get lag in BfA when Assault is on.

Sounds like your PC hardware can’t handle it. Or your internet sucks

Yep, looks just like PC lag to me.

3 Likes

I get similar effects but mine are typically limited to 500-6000 world and Home MS at the same time and lasts 5-30 seconds. Sadly this is in just about any location at any random time.

I have also ran speed tests, ping response time during these encounters and seen nothing dropping.

I don’t even get that, normal 19MS and I still get that lag. Top left of my video you see my stats, 19 MS and around 100FPS.

But NOOOOO, this GD, I swear to god I have said it once, I have said it 100 times, there are people who ALWAYS blame the user and say their PC is not good, their internet is not good, their settings are wrong, drivers are out of date.

Even with evidence just because “I don’t get lag” means it is every other users fault, sick of that crap.

2 Likes

Its actually an IT thing overall. When you have an issue that is not 100% house wide it can be pointed to the individual user/machine. I get that issue on a daily basis.

Currently I am the only person playing WoW in my house, so I cannot be sure of that, but I can be sure there was someone I seen earlier stating they had lag on characters on one server, but no lag on characters on another server, same machine.

I am pretty sure it has something to do with certain realms and sharding. I even get the lag in dungeons which should be the least active zones.

When it happens run a MTRR or LookingGlass. Before blaming others for lag try the troubleshooting first.

https://us-looking-glass.battle.net/

This can identify any network latency from your system to blizzard. Sometimes there are faulty routers in the path.

I’ve experienced the same thing. Latency can both be in the high 20s/low 30s and loot lag, cast lag, and mount lag are real things.

I’ve played long enough to be able to tell when it’s server side lag.

1 Like