Fix The Actual Reporting Problem: Remove/Nerf the Squelching System

Why would I stop doing something I’m allowed to do just because some trolls report me?

Maybe that’s something people from frostmourne believe in but not in America mate

2 Likes

You are allowed to sell it. You are not allowed to be disruptive to the game while doing so the same as selling anything - you cant flood/spam chat.

You have no idea how fast Frosty trade chat flies do you? We get very upset in our trade chat talks about KFC and Zinger burgers that anyone posting a macro taking up 2-3 lines causes our conversations to be disrupted.

Sounds like it’s you who isn’t using Trade chat for its intended purpose.

1 Like

Havent been reported yet, guess my server community is ok with random discussions happening within trade chat and has been forever.

We do take issue with seeing:

/1 WTS blah blah (gold only, individual seller)
/1 blah blah blah (im allowed to do this so there is nothing you can do)
/2 WTS blah blah (gold only, individual seller)
/2 blah blah blah (im allowed to do this so there is nothing you can do)

-every 30 seconds by the same person who has it bound to their mouse wheel and usually 10+ ‘sellers’ at a time. Trade chat goes from:

This
/2 Zing on my friends
/2 What time does kfc open again? i need another zinger

to this
/2 Zing on my friends
/2 What time does kfc open again? i need another zinger
/2 Thunderfury, blessed blade of the windseeker is the best way to cut your zingers.

See the issue?

1 Like

Yes, the issue I see is someone is using /1 for sales. THAT is what is supposed to be reported.

Using /2 is perfectly fine. If people are getting reported for using /2 every few minutes, then that’s ridiculous.

BUT, I am 100% onboard with anyone and everyone being reported for using /1 for sales, because that is explicitly forbidden by policy due to 1) not being a permitted channel for sales, and 2) being cross-realm.

1 Like

Sounds like it’s you who isn’t using Trade chat for its intended purpose.

Found this…

Then there is this…

3 Likes

I agree every few minutes is fine especially on a server with a high rate of trade chat. As someone else on these forums pointed out to me they dont care how fast they spam it because they are trying to target ads towards people on flights through oribos. Im even ok with “< blah guild > offering boosting services, pst for info”. i take issue with it being disruptive.

Imagine your favourite streamer chat, flying away at 100 mesages per second started getting advertising - how long before a mod bans that person?

1 Like

We’re not in disagreement about actual spamming in /2 being an issue. If someone’s posting more often than every few minutes, that’s a problem.

The issue at hand is when the report system is used as a weapon against someone for no valid reason. There are several examples on the forums, even some confirmed on the CS forums by blues, where people are getting reported, squelched and overturned by a GM. It happens when they are posting in /2 in accordance with the rules, simply because other people have an agenda and report anything/everything they don’t agree with.

When you’re squelched, you lose LFG usage, mail usage, almost all chat usage, etc. - it has a very large impact on the game, and people who are being targeted for following the rules have to burden the consequences of false reports until a GM lifts the restrictions.

That is the issue at hand - the automatic squelching goes way too far right now. I think my first solution is a good middle ground; although I think it still goes too far, it’s as least far better than locking down most of the game.

2 Likes

And those players responsible have action taken against them.

I dont think it does because its a system to prevent further possible disruption.

2 Likes

So we’re told, but I have a hard time this is actually happening unless there’s some sort of automation that detects a pattern of reports by players. With that said, we’ve seen complaints about squelches but no complaints about getting actioned for false reports on the forums. Once that actually happens then I’ll have a little bit of faith.

Even if those people are actioned though, it doesn’t prevent the potentially unfair squelch in the first place.

You think someone unfairly squelched shouldn’t even be able to use mail or group finder? Why?

1 Like

Because it will effect the system in place that prevents those legitimately squelched from continuing to create ads within group finder, spam mail ads to players (ever had a server transfer not be able to happen because someone is sending you mail to prevent that?), whisper players directly or engage in any form of social disruption.

1 Like

If people are reported for LFG ads, they’re not squelched or silenced. They can keep posting them until a GM steps in and actually levies a suspension.

If someone sends abusive mail, same thing - they’re not getting squelched from reports.

You’re conflating chat channel reporting with systems that have their own reporting systems, and with that, you’re also perfectly fine with people who do no wrong having large portions of their game shut down by those who weaponize the reporting system.

1 Like

You are forgetting that often accounts used purely for advertising will not only spam chat channels but do a entire multitude of things alongside (lfg/mail/trade chat/general chats) eachother for maximum exposure before their account gets actioned. Is the system perfect? No. Does the system work? Yes.

I mean are you legit asking for the squelch system to be removed so all of those other accounts that are purely created for advertising paid for with gold can go non stop until a gm bans them? Do you think that will be a better system overall for the game or worse in terms of chat and gameplay being disrupted?

1 Like

Yes, OR a middle ground (which is the first of the two proposed solutions - are you forgetting that?)

We’re going to agree to disagree here. Fellow players should have never been given the title of judge, jury and executioner.

2 Likes

I don’t believe in the “All or Nothing” Philosophy. You don’t kill a system because of a few bad apples. I rate it up there with the “defund the police” garbage.

In my opinion, both solutions are stupid. One makes it more work to report offenders, the other one is just dumb.

They never have been…

They were given a system of ‘citizens arrest’ until actual legal professionals can look at the case. The GM dismissing the case or actioning the offenders account would be the judge in this case.

2 Likes

With the the Reddit Booster Community AMA coming out

I feel more justified reporting.

Yah except I post it once every 10ish mins or less. So anyone who is upset by that is just a potato

2 Likes

It doesn’t have an intended purpose. It does, though, have a suggested purpose. I challenge you to produce any documentation that says that Trade chat is limited strictly to discussion of in-game commerce only.

I even showed Blue posts saying that.