Fix Fly/Teleport Hacking NOW!

And here I was thinking we were finally breaking down some walls and having a good, clean discussion.

It’s a shame we live in this world where people actively want to live in their own echo chambers. Counter intuitively, it’s that very attitude which allows misinformation to spread.

2 Likes

I’m going to give you the same advice someone gave me - just ignore that guy.

5 Likes

I truly, truly wish you and others would do just that. Allow me to call out blatant misinformation without having to deal with the subsequent argumentative fallacies that follow.

Irony truly is lost on this man.

1 Like

It wouldn’t even require that imo. The high numbers they post are a global number, 1 per 5 servers would be at least semi ideal but i think even 3 working their way through the high pop zones on a server a day would make a huge dent in the issue. What i was saying wasn’t to completely remove them which i think is impossible but it would be far more than what we have now. Maybe their ban process is ridiculously long as well.

2 Likes

Very well could be a painful verification process.

Wait those are bugs? Never seen them in my life

It doesn’t have to be convoluted at all. GM’s used to have the power to instantly have eyes on any and every part of the game. GM’s could watch DM or AQ or wherever the problem is, briefly record the hack, then ban. If the ban is contested, the evidence is reviewed.

This is as fair as anything that’s happening now and vastly more effective. And it’s instant.

The reason hacks, bots and cheats are allowed to continue for months at a time has nothing to do with Blizzard wanting to be fair or “investigate.” It certainly doesn’t have anything to do with figuring out how these things work. The idea that Blizzard sits around for months, “hurr durr how does this bot work,” is insane. It’s all right there on google where, gasp, you can actually download the thing.

Blizzard simply doesn’t care enough to do what they need to do. There’s nothing else left.

7 Likes

100% true.

Blizzard absolutely could fix these hacks server-side, which should be the first priority.

These hacks are widely available to the public. Blizzard absolutely could whack a mole these early on anf instant ban.

But they intentionally don’t. So the question is this: Why?

3 Likes

Hacks and real cheats for sure but paining here with such a broad brush is difficult because I was also speaking of RMT, and that’s hard to detect because the gathering process is disposable. Killing the accounts that are intentionally laundering the gold is the hard part to catch.

Although it’s possible to choke the supply with a continuous effort

1 Like

You are missing the point of this thread. Blizzard needs to remove the bugs that these hack programs exploit and improve server-side functionality to not allow these hacks to exist in the first place.

I completely agree with the sentiment, I was only pointing out there is a very larger non botting non hacking RMT business out there that is harder to deal with and harder to track but every bit as bad for the community.

1 Like

Sounds good.

A lot of people forget just how much money is involved with RMT. In Wows early days, 1 RMT company alone, tied to a publically traded US company Goldman Sachs, did $500 million in sales in 1 year.

yeah its somewhat nuts how much money people will pay for in game stuff.

Because is running on retail infrastructure and code. If the fix isnt easy and doesnt fall within the technical confines of retail, they won’t do it.

1 Like

Yes, but the their analytics do not justify the cost. OSRS actually makes a game out of it that does 2 things. 1). Helps solve the problem. 2) Engages the community and increases the reputation of thier brand.

Blizz, I assure you is taking notes. Hopefully TBC will be better.

2 Likes

Has Blizzard even acknowledged this specific fly/teleport hack and any plans to fix it?

1 Like

this has been going on for 3 months. There is an informative video on youtube about why all the RMT and hackers came over.

The article in a gaming magazine talking about the upcoming expansion,
The Burning Crusade, that convinced me to try WoW. had a side article
talking about how well Blizzard, during Vanilla, handled bots.

The people that wrote the article, did a test. They bought a second
wow account, made a mage, and contacted one of those leveling
services to level this mage, via bot.

Once the bot took over. They went out on their main account,
and found their mage, being leveled by a bot.
They reported it as a bot. had all their friends report it.
Had all their huge guild report it.

Five days later, it was still there grinding away. Nothing was
ever done. They finally took back control, deleted the mage,
and closed the account.

Hundreds of people reported the mage for botting during
vanilla. Blizzard didnt do anything about it.

2 Likes

As a multiboxer, I know many who have done this as well! Sad IMO.