Fix EPIC BATTLEGROUNDS!

NPCs in battlegrounds are dying way too easily right now. This is pretty much comparable to how they were at the end of Season 4 of Dragonflight.

This is awful.

First of all, this makes all 4 epics incredibly boring, being decided pretty much by the first teamfight, or by boss rushes with little opportunity or incentive for deviation. Sure there are exceptions in matches with premades, but the mast majority of battlegrounds fall into this outcome.

Alterac Valley

Decided by a race to the boss. You could improve your odds with some defense, but it’s repetitive, and exactly what was happening in Season 4 already.

Isle of Conquest

Decided by who gets Hangar. Glaives, Demos, and Siege die way too easily.

Wintergrasp

Offense is way too difficult to win, as vehicles die way too easily.

Ashran

Boss-rush, same as AV.

The start of each expansion is supposed to be when epic BGs have their strategies completely scrambled, where anything is possible. It is, in my opinion, when epics are the most fun.

Alterac Valley

The Archdruid and Primalist are legitimate pawns in the game! Armor scraps are turned in to make defense better. And while most players don’t do this, I have seen the ram/wolf riders deployed in the past!
To win, you need to be tactical with defense and offense.

Isle of Conquest

All 3 bases are viable. You could take the “safe, but slow” path of hangar, or push in with glaives, making sure to defend them.
And even if your wall falls first, the boss is strong enough so that the battle ain’t over yet.

Ashran

You gotta play the map, grabbing the various buffs scattered around. Most games are won in teamfights, which is more enjoyable.

Wintergrasp

Offense is a legitimate threat to Defense. Even if Offense loses the initial teamfight, they can always come back and win with strong vehicles.

Now, was the previous iteration with unkillable bosses too much? Sure, I agree that they probably had to be nerfed. But what happened was too much of an overcorrection that made the games worse than what they just were. I personally would’ve even preferred the unkillable NPC version than what we have now.

Consider this:
We don’t even have conquest gear yet!

Our power over NPCs will only get GREATER over time.
So to have our STARTING POINT be this severe does not bode well.

In fact, I would reckon that with conquest gear, many of the previous problems of “unkillable NPCs” would’ve naturally been resolved over time in my opinion.

My suggestion is that Blizzard needs to revert the change to epic BG npcs, maybe nerf the bosses a tad just until we get conquest gear, and leave the NPCs to be an actual threat.

This will make epic BGs more fun for players.

21 Likes

Imo, they should keep NPC health to their pre-nerf levels so they won’t die as easily but reduce their damage a little would be a lot nicer than nerfing it all. Having it like this means Bosses will take a significant effort to take down.

5 Likes

:100:

The experience I had in those 2 days (before the nerf) is so unbelievable and unforgettable. After every failed engagement (with the opponent), everyone in the team knew there is a chance to fight back, because our boss/npc could hold up, so we all pushed to the very last second for the win. Its so much fun and satisfying, even if we didn’t win.

I miss these 2 days dearly.

3 Likes

It was way more fun on the launch of TWW. They didnt even tell people to try to gear before nerfing, they just cut the bosses down to critter level difficulty. BGs are way more fun when they require thought, not just zerging.

3 Likes

Revert it back to TWW release lvls before the nerf. The NPCS being formidable added such a huge improvement to the PVP side of the game.

/signed

3 Likes

I agree completely. Said it before, I’ll say it again: leave it as was and let us slowly progress through it naturally.

3 Likes

Agreed. They should revert back to before the nerf. Epic BGs should be “epic” not Zerg games. Imagine what would the game be like when people get more gear.

1 Like

It was genuinely fun once you realized you had to do things differently. Sure it was basically progression raiding in a BG, but once people learned the rules, it was fun. Here’s a proposed compromise: maybe keep the NPCs a happy medium but make the rams and wolves elite. (:

3 Likes

lol anytime something interesting happens in the neglected and forgotten epic bgs blizzard always swoops in to nerf the fun out of it

2 Likes

Did blizz explain WHY they made this change? I know some people were crying about NPC strength, but they were not the right people to listen to. Xpac has barely begun and epic BGs turned to crap already?

[edit]
Also, what’s strange as well is EZ mode epic BGs encourages premades rather than deters them. Strong NPCs give pugs a better chance if they understand strat and play well.

1 Like

And those patrols are deadly. Forgetting to keep an eye on their movements could mean a wipe, which happened to us. Still, it was fun! :smiley:

I agree, NPCs should be relevant and definitely not be soloable by one fiesty bear druid.

2 Likes

Agreed 100% with everything Alec said.

We came up with some pretty awesome ways to get around the npcs being so strong, it definitely was fun and our team was having a great time. Kind of like when the Fel Reaver was headed your way kind of uh oh. I agree that the change has already made bosses trivial again and it shouldn’t be that way. Zerging should not be an option. The only ones who weren’t happy were the puggies who want to zerg the boss

This is also a good time to mention once again that we want new epic bgs. A million different ideas have been given already, including making existing warfronts actual pvp instead of AI.

Also, while pvp is the focus of this conversation, some of these new consumables aren’t as good as the DF ones. Particularly the dragon fruit. We really loved dragon fruit. Electroshock mount motivator isn’t as good. Rocket launchers aren’t easy for everyone to have either. Bring dragon fruit or it’s equivalent back.

Just wanted to pile on. It was incredible to actually play the map for once.

2 Likes

Zerging is awesome, I mean back in the day, when you had the dsp and tank that could get the job done.

It was not easy but it’s an achievement in AV for a reason.

Fun times!

Epic BGs have been hot garbage for a while. You could get 40 players and no healers, lmao.

Shame really- they used to be the most fun thing in the entire game when they were balanced properly.

Basically the only, still remaining, 40-man activities left, lol.

Yeah, I’d be extremely happy if Blizzard took a look at Epic BGs and fixed them.

I’d easily spend my time doing these just for fun.

1 Like

Yes, please keep the pre nerf difficulty, and make sure to keep upping that difficulty along with our gear. They were so much more fun for a week or so.

2 Likes

IT was good! The mad race to Kill the ogre, and watch him chase the enemy, and pin them in base lmfao

2 Likes

Casually pointing out that it’s both Alliance and Horde saying this

3 Likes

Yeah, this isn’t a “faction” issue, this is bad for everyone

1 Like