Fishing/Cooking in Classic - Who's Excited!?

It came MUCH later. I did the whole holidays-all-year achievement for the purple proto-drake mount when it first came out (Wrath? Cataclysm? Don’t recall for sure), and the Pilgrim’s Bounty wasn’t in the game at that point, yet.

Fishing and Cooking done together just makes leveling both very simple. I am a completionist with cooking, so I will be gathering every recipe, including the cross-faction ones on the neutral AH’s in goblin towns…but that takes time.

I’ve done the cooking to 300 on two alts at level 6 just to see if I could via fishing only, and I will be taking that with me as I level both together in Classic. You kinda have to LIKE fishing in WoW for it to be a good option, though. In Vanilla, the leveling of all primary and secondary professions is level-gated, so you will not be able to do all of it in one chunk unless you wait until level 60 to do it. I intend to do it as I level. Mileage may vary depending on play style.

By the by, for those interested, the best place to fish for Brilliant Smallfish for Alliance is in the pond behind the blacksmith in Goldshire. You’ll need 50-60 of them before heading to Westfall, so get those poles ready!

2 Likes

The last time I actually cared about cooking was when I was making Blackened Worg steaks to track humanoids in wotlk and then later in cata for fun.

@Odinmar
I always believed that Pilgrims bounty cooking leveling was meant to simplify the vanilla cooking leveling process. One of the biggest prof qol changes. They might have well have had a ingame fishbot aswell.

2 Likes

The whole achievements thing, I think, was a Wrath addition, including that proto-drake mount (which I still don’t have, because of that one PvP achievement involving the orphans that I always want to do and forget about it until exactly one week after that holiday event).

You’ve given me an idea, though, to maybe plot out a plan to level several alts together, on both factions, and to try to time hitting all primary and secondary professions at level-appropriate times, as well as all the major leveling milestones (10, 20, 30, …) together across all the alts. This seems (at the moment, at least) to be a nice contrast to a focus-on-single-main-and-get-him-raid-ready-now approach to the game.

Good stuff! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Exactly. I live somewhere in the middle on that. I do tend to want to level quickly, but I don’t “power-level” as many of the videos describe it. I mean, I work consistently to level, but I’m not trying to make any realm firsts in that regard.

When the grind gets obnoxious or tedious, I like to take a break and do profession work so that I hit 300 in all of them roughly the same time I hit 60.

1 Like

LOL I just started a spreadsheet. Your enthusiasm is contagious! :wink:

2 Likes

The one thing we are going to miss - though I believe there is a resurrected version of it, is Els Anglin.

If Classic adheres to all the old locations/fish types and rules, I believe the resurrected version will work fine.

If there are changes, then we might have to see if the current site operator is amenable to working on the data to get it to accurately represent the Classic game.

1 Like

You found a resurrected version? Where? I’ve only found a guide submitted by El to another website that has guides for various expansions of WoW and talent calculators. [Not sure if this website is just keeping all of the old stuff as an archive as each expansion is released or if they are catering to private servers. They have current content, so I feel okay reading it, but not sharing the link.]

Rogue as my main, and Druid for my alt. I’ll have a 35hunter to do my LW and Blacksmithing for the other 2.

Damn. Thanks anyway!

If fishing and cooking warms your nether region, then the Malicious Moogles need you :wink:

2 Likes

I’m excited for all things classic it dont matter…hell I’m already planning my strategy on how to deal with moonbrook mobs

1 Like

Oh, I raid, too. Ha ha. I’m holding out hope my people come back, and we’re all discussing it.

I too have been making spreadsheets. Some days I get more giddy to update them than to play some of my other games.

Right there with ya!

1 Like

I’m not prepared ill wing it.

I’d prefer not to do fishing and cooking but given the community’s obsession with consumables I think I’ll be forced to use them during raids and don’t want to be buying them.

I haven’t been doing spread sheets or anything like that. I have forgotten where a lot of stuff has come from. Half the fun (for me anyways) is finding a new recipes or being reminded of where all the different ones are located. Collecting all of (or at least trying to) the recipes has always been one of my favorite parts of the game.

I have been spending a lot of time on the talent calculator websites trying to figure out how I want to distribute my points though. I am not expecting to be optimal, or wanting to be for that matter. it has just been a lot of fun messing around with them.

I can’t post a link here. But if you have a look in Google, and type in Els Anglin Reborn, it’ll take you to a similar-than-the-original URL with “reborn” included, and the front page allows you to choose which game client version you want.

There’s Classic, TBC and WotLK (are they planning ahead I wonder?) :slight_smile:

I always had my fishing and cooking leveled up. Mostly because I was usually a hunter and needed food (raw was okay) for my pet. When I didn’t want to go anywhere, I’d just do the daily fishing and cooking quests in Stormwind or Orgrimmar. A few coppers or silver for the trash, some actual food at low levels, and a skill point every day!

yawn… 10 characters

Fishing? You mean the profession that has a 95% failure rate on each cast no matter how good you think you are?