First gaming cpu

I don’t know much about computers but my 2013 MacBook isn’t running WoW so great anymore. I want to get a gaming cpu mainly for WoW but I would like the option to play other games if I wanted. Which of these builds would be better ?

First build: $265
Intel i5 Quad Core Processor
RX 460 NEW
1TB Hard Drive
120GB Crucial SSD
8GB DDR3 RAM

Build 2: $280
ASUS Prime B350M-A Motherboard
Crucial MX300 275GB M.2 SSD
Crucial 8GB DDR4 2400MHz Ram
Ryzen 5 1400 Quad Core 8 Thread CPU
Antec 750W Semi-Modular PSU
NVIDIA GTX 760 2GB

None, those GPUs perform as old as your macbook.

2 Likes

Can there be a build 3? What’s your budget?

I don’t want to spend more than $400 idk how realistic that is. I went to Frys electronics and the dude part picked an $800 one for me so these two builds I listed are being sold on offer up.

On Officedepot there is a HP Pavilion 590-p0056 Desktop PC, 8th Gen Intel® Core™ i5 (8400), 8GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive, Windows® 10 Home, GeForce GTX 1050 for $449

Amazon -HP Pavilion Gaming PC Desktop Computer, AMD Ryzen 5 2400G, AMD Radeon RX 580, 8GB RAM, 1TB hard drive, Windows 10 (690-0020, Black) 479/499

Newegg - ABS Mage E - Ryzen 5 2600 - GeForce GTX 1660 - 8GB DDR4 - 480GB SSD - Gaming Desktop PC $699

I would think the Amazon one be better suited to your price range. Can sign up for prime(free for 30 days) if you dont have it and get it by monday then cancel prime.

I’ve seen that HP PAVILION on amazon but I was told buying something premade is a waste in the long run because you can’t upgrade anything. Is that my best bet for something like WoW though? I play with all settings at 1 and I still have massive lag so that’s what I’m upgrading from lol

A few more I’m looking at on offer up are:
$500:
i5 4690k overclocked to 4.2ghz
Nvidia GTX 4gb 960
16gb ram
250gb SSD
Windows 10 Pro

$400:
Intel I7 960 (4 cores and 8 threads 3.3 ghz)
6GB DDR3
Intel DX58SO motherboard
R9 380X 4GB graphics card ( comparable to an rx 570)
850W corsair power supply
240gb SSD

Prebuilts can have issues down the road for upgrades but when you consider what you get for the price it can be better. Also new at least you get some piece of mind having it under warranty. Older used stuff you roll the dice.

1 Like

Not this one. It’s 8+ years old. So far Offer Up sucks.

1 Like

I’ve look up budget builds but i don’t want anything out of date and it seems like stuff become out of date quickly. Can anyone point me towards a $400ish dollar build that is current and would at least get me playing WoW and high to ultra settings?

$400 isn’t going to get you ultra graphics, maybe not high settings either

1 Like

Medium might be fine, I’m playing with everything in the lowest setting possible right now so the game can even run so in my head maybe high graphics are really just medium. I just want the cheapest thing that can run WoW with no issue. Right now when I mount I can’t see my character and I have to dismount to see where I’ve traveled too. Or ring of peace animations don’t even show up in arena so I can’t see where they actually are. Things like that are actually affecting gameplay

Youtube search $400 gaming build and youll see its possible… FYI many here are NEVER going to offer you any usable advice because they cannot fathom people using anything but the newest spendy PC parts.

Ask advice for budget -------- insert part here, and they will say go for the $500 card or the $450 CPU etc. Do some research on youtube or PC partspicker for help.

It’s not about trying to recommend high end prices for the fun of it

Spending little as possible on a PC build isn’t good long term

One of your YouTube videos you suggest for example

Ryzen 2400g, b450 motherboard, WD 240 GB SSD, Corsair VS 650 PSU, 8 GB single ram stick

The board and ryzen chip are fine yes, the rest is not

First off the SSD is 240 GB, Windows 10 1903 update takes more storage now, plus BfA is 70 GB as requirements

Then that 240 GB of storage turns into 223 GB of actual storage, because it converts, so really about 110 GB of storage gets taken by BfA and Windows 10, which leaving you half of the storage left for whatever, and trust me that’s going to run out fast as the average player starts getting other games installed, have stuff downloaded and not clearing out downloaded files of whatever

Then next expansion will bump that to maybe 90-100 GB of storage as a requirement, so within the next year or two that SSD will be more inconvenient of trying to manage your storage

Next, that ram stick is already a bad choice because Ryzen works best in dual channel, so really fps will be even worse running on a single stick. 8 GB of RAM is also being considered no longer the minimum, 16 GB is becoming the sweet spot

Then that power supply is also medicore at Best, only 100 plus rating, not even gold or Bronze certified, then If you decided to go get like RX 5700 or RTX 2060, I wouldn’t doubt that PSU will pop for being cheap

Speaking of graphics, that 2400g does have a igpu, while it being better than Intel’s, it still meh at best, you aren’t getting high settings on that, maybe medium or between low and medium at Best for 60 fps. Now if it was paired with like a Rx 570 then that performance would jump up (if not using single ram sticks)

Then next expansion that graphics settings you were getting in BfA will drop, so now expect your $400 budget build to be running at low settings once again like OPs MacBook

The only good thing about that budget build is the b450 motherboard because you can at least put in a 3000 or perhaps 4000 series

None of us are forcing $500 parts on anyone, we will still suggest low price builds but you get what you pay for so don’t be upset next expansion brings your fps down on a $400 build

Some will stick to that price range and offers build but some will suggest OP saves more money for a much better long term investment, $600 or $700 build at best

1 Like

Actually, no, that’s not how this works. The more money you put into it, the longer it’ll last, as a general rule of thumb. There are circumstances beyond others’ control that will force them to buy the cheapest possible systems, but those go out of date extraordinarily quickly, which is why you’ll sometimes see people here suggest waiting if the OP can save up some cash to get something better.

1 Like

The first build listed at $265 looks fine for the price out of all of the stuff you listed, assuming it’s not an ancient i5. It wouldn’t run any game really at max settings at all, but it would get you by on lower settings(WoW would be ‘ok’ on decently high settings assuming you have shadows turned down low, and the processor isn’t old like a first gen i5). It would be a good idea to know the processor in that build though.

Otherwise, you’ll find better new/longer-lasting pre-built desktops around the $500-600 mark, as well as much more options if you build it yourself.

Youve obviously never been on a budget and have tons of spare cash for a top of the line rig. You dont need top of the line for WOW. If someone asks for help with a $400 budget dont advise stuff thats way beyond that budget. Many people just dont have it to spare and still want to play WOW>

2 Likes

Like I said, no one is wrong

Yes from your point of view not many can save an extra $100 or $200, I have said that many times but it always fly by their head

But their point of view isn’t wrong either, a $400 build isn’t good long term like I said

At the end of the day it all depends on the guy spending the money, they can get a $400 build but don’t expect It to last by the next expansion or two, but if they can save some more great they will enjoy it long term

The issue here is that people think saving an extra $100 isn’t hard. Yet they don’t know how peoples financial issues are

2 Likes

I’ve been in both places.

No, you don’t. Getting absolute rock- bottom bare minimum for it to run might be what you have to do, but I’ll generally suggest saving for a bit if possible. Sales are also a thing.

I didn’t? What rant are you even trying to go off on here?

I get the feeling you think you’re speaking to someone that isn’t me.

I understand that. Saving a bit to get a better solution is preferable unless the situation demands an IMMEDIATE CHANGE.

This isn’t saying “the game stopped running/my computer broke”, this is saying “I really probably should upgrade.” It’s not very specific, and if the OP can wait a month or so to upgrade and overall get a better price/performance ratio, then I’ll happily suggest they wait. He’s gotten halfway through BFA on this computer, so unless it’s otherwise stated it shouldn’t be impossible to wait a bit and save a bit more, even if it isn’t much.

I’m not sure why you think I’m encouraging the OP to buy a $1,000 PC (which I haven’t yet, quote me on it if you feel differently), but it’s time for you to stop trolling, if that’s what this is.

Well I can maybe save up another $100 but I’m pretty eager to get the upgrade because 3v3 arena suffers enough that it screws me up. I have these options now as well
$400:
AMD FX 8320 @ 3.76GHZ
8-CORES PROCESSOR .
R9 390 8GB GDDR5 GPU
16GB RAM DDR3 1600HZ
120GB SSD HD SOLID STATE
3 TB HDD WD SATA/600 64MB CACHE

$280 (with monitor):
Processor Intel Core i5-6500 / 3.20 GHz Quad-Core Intel vPro Technology
8GB 1600 MHz DDR3
1TB HD @ 7200 rpm SATA 6Gb/s
DVD-RW (R DL) / DVD-RAM
Gigabit Ethernet port
6 x USB 2.0 - 4 x USB 3.0
Installed N900 Wireless card
Graphics Card AMD Radeon 7540 1GB GDDR6 GPU

I would be happy with something that could get me medium settings around 60 FPS. Any upgrading potential is a bonus but I’m really satisfied with just being able to play the game lag-free, it doesn’t have to look amazing because I’ve been playing on level 1 graphics since MoP

Either of these will do WOW at medium settings. The i5 one will run WOW on 4-5 without a GPU. I know this because ive done it. Or you can save up more money which I understand isnt easy unlike a few that are posting here … Ive been there.

The i5 system GPU can be replaced with a better one for a little extra.