Finding raid groups as a tank?

I main a warrior on Eranikus, being protection spec and arms O/S. While I have no issue rolling DPS, I enjoy tanking much more but rarely get to do so.

Most guilds have tanks, which is understandable, but it seems most pug groups have tanks as well and I’m finding it fairly difficult to find groups to tank for despite having a GS close to 4k.

I’m curious what others think is the best way to get into a place where I can tank more? Others have suggested the best way is to build my own guild and start by forming a small roster for 10m and growing from there. I’m not sure as I don’t have much experience as a GM, but am also open to the option.

I was in a guild recently and signed up for a 10m naxx run as tank, and was told I was good to go but last second they told me one of the other guildies was going to tank and I wasn’t able to raid. Kind of made me upset so I just left the guild

If you have enough free time: Always search for PUGs with open tank slots. While i generally agree that those are rarer, they exists.

If you have less free time: Try finding a consistent PUG, that takes you as DPS, and after a few raids ask them if you can tank.
I did so on my 2nd protpally, and it worked.

Also GDKP often times searches for 2nd/3rd Tank, but you have to be a GDKP guy to go that way.

For 10 man raids i often see open tank slots tho, might be a server difference.

Eranikus is kind of dead, yeah. It’s not TERRIBLE but it is often difficult to find groups. But I appreciate your input!

I was actually thinking of switching realms potentially.

That is interesting as I have noticed that most of my PUGs I am asked to dps after listing as heals only. I do it, its not a big deal but I’d much rather heal…only thing I can think of is its OS healers doing it for the loot boxes. Is odd for sure.

The problem is, there’s so many more tank capable classes and people willing to play those in Wrath than ever before. Literally the only option you have is to form your own pug, or form your own guild and play tank. Regardless if you have the leadership experience or not to do either one, pugs usually don’t need tanks, as they can be found within 30 seconds of looking, and with 30% of any given server being a paladin or dk, tanks are extremely easy to come by for a guild recruiting one. This leaves you with your real only option of forming your own pug or guild.

A good tank can easily carry a raid, and a bad tank can easily ruin a raid. That combined with the fact you need 1-2 tanks compared ~18 dps means most guilds and pugs don’t want or need a pug tank that (in most cases of pugs) will grief their raid. A bad dps won’t do much to hurt a raid.

If you want to tank full time either host your own pug raids, or join a guild and make yourself a tank in the guild. To do that don’t volunteer or mention the fact you can dps. Just show up to 10 mans as a tank, and if they can’t fit you in 25 mans as a tank just deal with it until they can. Most guilds will eventually let you tank if you’re not horrible at it. Also having a mic and being vocal in disc is a must for a tank. Need to get the guild to trust you.

Here’s what i reccomend if joining a guild is not an option (it should be what you aim for because i believe it would solve your problem entirely):

Post around looking for people interested in regular pugs. Create a discord and invite them. Create signups and communicate your pug raid day. Profit purple loot.

Thank you everyone for the advice! I sincerely appreciate it

I haven’t really taken the time to search for a solid guild. As I said, the only experience I have with one in my current realm is the one I mentioned in my OP… which sucked

But there are lots of other guilds for sure and I imagine I can fit a slot. I feel 100% confident in my tanking abilities and never have any issues the times I have been in a pug. I suppose I’ll just keep trying! :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.