Finally switched from 'flavour' preference to combat power covenant

Hey, 2 months remaining. Low chance they will actually do anything, but I’m not a shaman IRL, so…

Glad to see others have similar thoughts on NF ability, though.

I suck at PvP right now…like a lot…but I also haven’t tried very much. That said, yes, it’s nutty in the few (and first in like 8 years) 2s I did today.

If I were Venthyr from the start, I’d be much better practiced at this point most likely.

Before switching, I watched a YT vid of a Rsham doing +21 with it. The player himself is amazing, but I kept pause-spamming when he used it to see things like: healing done, damage done, cloud-burst storage, CD reduced by crits, etc…

It’s incomparably better to the other one, but I’ve already gone over this lol.

“Meaningful choices” and “character identity”…

2 Likes

Heh, yeah…meaningfully being forced to choose between a good ability and a covenant you actually want to join.

:weary:

4 Likes

Except for skipping traps in Torghast, getting to treasures out in the world, and many other positioning hijinks, it is indeed useless.

Yep, this annoyed the snot out of me. By pure aesthetics alone I wanted that Maldraxxus Aesthetic on my Warrior but good god the ability is just terrible. Just… so bad. Same deal with Hunter also.

My 2 cents, but IMO Blizz should’ve just done 1 new ability for every spec ala Artifact Weapon abilities. Then the particles/visuals of the ability could be themed based off of the covenant you chose.

That way you always knew what ability you were dealing with based off of the spec, the same way we did based off of Artifact weapons, and whether that Warrior’s condemn was a blood red sweep or an angelic white and blue, you still knew it was the same ability because the only change were the particles and not the character’s animation.

My 2 COPPER. Feels bad having to choose a covenant you don’t give a crud about for an ability you know will just make your life easier. Or the frustrating juggle between alts and getting as much spread as possible WHILE getting the best abilities for them all that you can WHILE having an aesthetic you enjoy

1 Like

Ya but a lot of people need their gaming fix

Condolences my brother. You were strong enough to do what I could not

As a guy who worked in the games industry, I can reassure you it’s a very valid metric. Especially for service-based gaming, which most MMO/MOBA/Mobile games use. In WoW’s case? More time spent in this game likely means more commitment and loyalty which means you’re more likely to keep your money within the Blizzard machine, and spend things to enrich that experience (toys, mounts, pets, transfers, merchandise) that you already hold to a high regard.

YouTube/Netflix and virtually all subscription based forms of entertainment are also designed to keep users on that platform. I know that YouTube keeps track if you leave the website after watching a video vs watch another video afterwards. The algorithm then promotes videos more likely to keep people sticking around in your suggested and watch next.

Spotify records BPM averages as well as which parts of the song people listen to the most, how often they repeat, etc etc etc.

TL;DR - yeah it matters lol

3 Likes

I can have my gaming fix without my games feeling like a chore.

1 Like

Shadowlands has made me tempted to go back to PoE, and that game is neverending for me…but never really felt like a chore.

I mean, leveling through the campaign can feel like one, but they are always building off the success of the game rather than reinventing wheels to tac on. WoW has a few wheels in places that never touch the road, but I may be getting a bit vague in my criticism as this point.

So yeah, pick-up-and-play games have become more appealing to think about recently.

I’d trade my fleshcraft for door of shadow’s in an instant. Hell I’d trade my fleshcraft for pretty much anything I could use in combat.

I like the overall feel of maldraxxus the most out of the covenants, but hot damn they are just a mess overall in terms of combat power. Every-time I wipe or miss timing a key, even if I made personal mistakes, I’m also wondering if being another covenant could have made up for it, cause necrolord is just so ridiculously weak compared to the other covenants.

If you can make it work though with a worse covenant, at least you’ll know it was all you who made it happen, not having an overpowered ability to carry you.

1 Like

Indeed, I have healed +7, +8 and +9 without relying on my old covenant ability much at all. I mean, it’s easy since I tend to do better without focusing on it, but yeah…Rshams are pretty good regardless.

That said, I’ll potentially go higher in keys before my time runs out, and I love big crits; my covenant change is both for effectiveness and satisfying big numbers. >:{D

They don’t care.
Nobody on the design team touches the game so they don’t care about the issues the game has.
They’re riding this out doing the bare minimum. If they get downsized, they’ll just ask one of their buddies at another company to get them in and HR there will hire them because “world of warcraft” is on their resume.
The moment their friend got them a job on the balance department at blizzard, they were set in the industry, regardless of how poorly they did their job.

1 Like

Nothing scares me more than when Clarkson gets an idea.

1 Like

This mentality really irks me. Why are you thinking that you have any place to tell someone else that they “should have made this choice instead”. I play a DH with Night Fae specifically because I like like their covenant ability. What’s good about it to me, I don’t have to change my talent tree, just to get the most out of it.

Not all choices are yours to say were right or wrong, and sometimes your opinion wasn’t asked for to begin with…

I did for the first few weeks. After getting “No available path” Over and over I’ve all but stopped using it. Most treasures that are up above have some other way, often easier (just jumping on a mushroom), or you can things like goblin glider to reach from a higher spot. I feel it is the worst general covenant ability.

I feel you on all these points. Its basically a discount Convoke. That ability is better in a every way. Also feel for them Warriors man. Necro ability is straight garbage.

1 Like

Yeah, Necrolord is the way to go for resto shaman.

I agree.

You can just pick the Covenant you like the flavor of, but eventually your action bar is going to drive you insane.

I switched from Kyrian to Venthyr based on Covenant abilities.

1 Like

Yup. And in arena fleshcraft and warrior’s banner are just flat miserable compared to the other three.

I got the transmog. Yay?

1 Like

see I did the reverse on my hunter, lol…

necro is MILES ahead of venthyr for survival, but after doing the necro story (cov 24) and getting all the gear/mount… it was boring… drab and bleh… poisonous snot everywhere… bleh…

so I went venthyr on my hunter cause I love the vampyr/dark broody aesthetic lol
currently leveling my cov now (13) and having alot more fun, looking and feeling much better haha.

to each their own