Finally got a new PC!

…But, unfortunately, it is a MacBook Pro.

Which honestly I love (was required for what I’m doing currently in video/photo editing), but as everyone knows it is never really a first choice for gaming.

Thankfully WoW is still supported, but Diablo is always my fav when it is fresh.

I don’t see any official information if macOS will eligible for play, but man I hope so. Can’t justify paying 150+ per year for Parallels (or a similar boot) plus the cost of Windows. Think it would be around $500.00 (Canadian) out the door.

Anyone here know something more of this? I’m pretty in the dark to these things at the moment.

Excited for a great computer, but not being able to play D4 would be a huge letdown.

Crossing fingers for good news.

1 Like

how’s diablo 3 on it?

edit:
dammit a quick google search points to news that D4 will not be on macs. not for technical reasons also.

shame…

1 Like

D3 runs beautifully on it! Seriously, it looks incredible.

I just got downloaded a Crossover trial, and am about to boot up Guild Wars 2 to see how it plays (once it finishes the massive download). GW2 team also discontinued all macOS support.

Maybe there’s some hope that Crossover can also be used to play D4. Much cheaper than the alternative.

There’s a PS5 in my household, but my kids hoard it every second possible. Ah well.

1 Like

Had figured this would be an easy yes at first… D3 had Mac support but some recent games haven’t. There’s not a page up for the system requirements . Best case scenario: would be if it is and you can run natively on MacOS. If that isn’t the case, Linux could certainly be run on that Mac. Windows 10/11 can be run without license to see if any compatibility troublesome games work. There’s probably a Mac gaming subreddit; am thinking dual boot on separate nvmes/ssds(/hdds) would be smart as mac, linux, windows each have different file systems (though Linux can read Mac files). Linux is free, only thing that occasionally breaks is the launcher but bottles is great for installing bnet launcher. (A lot of people are playing Diablo Immortal and WoW on Steam Deck which is based off Arch KDE.) I should probably refresh my college Macbook someday. Am on Manjaro XFCE currently but Mint is also super friendly to learn, what you choose doesn’t matter much. I have had to clean/reinstall my Win10/11 every few months to keep performance, Mac and Linux have less annoying updates imho. GL, Hope it is announced later. If https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/vbgz43/no_diablo_4_for_mac/ is true, then Linux (pick any distro/flavor) with Bottles might be worth looking into.

1 Like

What model if I may ask? Is it one of the M1 models?

The GPUs on the M1’s pack a pretty decent punch for their heat and power consumption. My main gaming machine is a custom built tower, but out of curiosity I tried WoW on the 16" MacBook Pro I use for work which has an M1 Pro, and it plays WoW quite well… was able to pretty consistently stay above the 120FPS needed to max out its 120hz screen on high/ultra settings with render scale set to 50%. It runs well at 100% render scale too but that seems like overkill since the screen is 3456x2234 — half that still looks great at 16". Based on the benchmarks I found online back then, the M1 Pro GPU performs somewhere in the ballpark of a RTX 2070 which isn’t bad at all for a machine that’s not built for gaming.

Regarding the cost of a Windows license, if you’re just running it in a VM you don’t really need to license it. You can run unactivated indefinitely, the only downside is inability to customize your wallpaper (which you won’t be seeing often anyway when virtualizing).

2 Likes