Feral Druid Rotation Help

Hello all. I’ve been playing a Feral Druid and now at level 245. When I fight it seems squishy, and this is in Korthia. I’ve been in Korthia, fighting anything and everything but 62’s, trying different rotations, even the rotations I have found on the internet. But none of the rotations I’ve found on the web or the ones I try on my own seem right.

Will some of you take a look at my spells and talents, and what my rotation should be? The stuff I find on the web will tell me to use such and such and I don’t even have it in my spells to choose from. If you’re reading this, thanks for your time.

PS: I don’t PVP, Raid or run Dungeons due to my ill health. I’m fully disabled. Long story for another time. :upside_down_face:

this guy helped me a lot he talks about talents and rotation, this expansion feral had focused on big ferocious bites but then the last few patches it has changed back to more focus on bleeds and synergy with the necrolord covenant at least for most players - good luck!

1 Like

Video unavailable. :anguished:
Oh, wait. It’s on YouTube. :blush:

2 Likes

first thing i see it you are using the same legendary twice. The Unity gives you Ravenous Frenzy legendary power so you having Unity on waist and Ravenous Frenzy on gloves is redundant.

swap that for Draught, Circle, or Natural Order’s Will would be my advice.

I’d also consider swapping covenants, imho, Necrolord or Night Fae would be the best options, Kyrian would be the 2nd best options and Venthyr i havent touched all expansion because i dont want to.

with Night Fae you can just run up to things and convoke them and every minute gear or not you’ll feel like an absolute GOD. I would most advise that.

If you are in WarMode but mostly ignoring pvp, your pvp talents look fine. if you are in warmode and want to min/max for pvp, id suggest changing them to Thorns / Ferocious Wounds / Wicked Claws

1 Like

If you want things from a more PVE perspective.

1 Like

first of all you are Venthyr that is the worst covenant for Feral(the best Nightfae and Necrolord), aslo your critical strike is very low(recommended 40%) and your talents… in the 40 line use soul of the forest and 50 moment of clarity(change to bloodtalons when feel ready to use)

2 Likes

Thank you all for the help. I’m going to switch to Necrolord. I’ll fix my Legendary.

Shay, you say swap one to Drought, or Circle, or Natural Orders. Which of my current Legendary should I swap out? Does it make any difference?

So much appreciated… :v:

Don’t forget to throw a regrowth on yourself when you get a proc of predatory swiftness. It allows you to cast it instantly without leaving cat form. I usually cast that every so often when I’m facing a tough elite or pack of mobs. pair that with barkskin and survival instincts and your pretty well a tough little kitty.

2 Likes

Thanks. Won’t be playing today, but I’ll tackle all this stuff tomorrow. Can’t wait…

I wpuld keep the unity belt for now and swap the other one. Then it depends on which you like Natual orders will gives you extremelt good survivability so if you want to live forever choose that one. Draught is better sustained damage and circle is better burst. For levelling id personally probably go natural orders will.

1 Like

Just to clarify, sounds like open world PvE stuff. Possibly a little open-world PvP?

The link Rayen provided is a really good start. Psybear is one of the best feral druids in the world and he’s got a lot of good information. The only thing I might suggest is that most of what he covers in the rotation section is largely focused on Raiding and Dungeons. Since you said that’s not really a focus for you I would adjust a few things.

The best PvE dps talent on the last row for feral is Blood Talons (though Feral Frenzy is good in some M+ situations for the Necrolord covenant). For someone new to the spec AND in pure world PvE content I think Moment of Clarity is better. Moment of Clarity is a passive ability and not really something you have to watch out for. It’s just a proc that negates the energy cost of your next ability. DPS-wise it’s not terribly far below Blood Talons.

For legendaries I’d recommend either Apex Predator or Cat-Eye Curio to pair with Unity. Apex Predator is a solid all-around pick but isn’t the best at any one thing making it flexible. Cat-Eye is a noticeble bit below Apex/Frenzyband for PvE dps but is a very strong choice for open world PvE content and pairs very well with the Moment of Clarity talent.

Other than that, feral doesn’t really have a ‘rotation’ so to speak. We’re more of a ‘spinning plates’ kind of class. Keep your dots up, and try to get as many Ferocious Bite finisher moves off as you can. That might be, Rake from Stealth → Shred or Brutal Slash to 5cp → Rip if the target will live longer than 12-ish second or Ferocious Bite if you think it won’t. Maintain Rake and Rip. Cast as many 5-point Ferocious Bites as you can. There’s some minor things like using Tiger’s Fury to snapshot your Rake/Rip damage, using clearcasting proc’s to cast Thrash, or taking advantage of your utility abilities to maximize survival (like using Predatory Swiftness to heal yourself with regrowth while still in cat form or using it to cast roots to run/los mobs). But you can probably get 70-90% out of the spec without that stuff in open world PvE content.

1 Like

Nice write-up for me. Thank you.

I’ll be working on my Cat for sure, most likely tomorrow cause of the LONG maintenance today.

#showtooltip Regrowth
/console autounshift 0
/cast [@mouseover,exists] Regrowth; Regrowth
/console autounshift 1
/use 3

A very useful macro for using your swiftness procs on regrowth.

#showtooltip
/console autounshift 0
/cast Entangling Roots
/console autounshift 1
/use 3

Same macro for entangling roots

The macro essentially makes it so you don’t get shifted out of cat form.

Anything else I would say has already been said pretty much.

1 Like

Isn’t that extra damage reduction on barkskin? I’m a little confused with this choice unless you’re dying a lot.

Its an honest question and curious if you might have this mixed up with something else.

If he’s running necrolord, I figure your options of Circle or Draught would be better choices.

circle or draught are better offensive options but Naturals orders will is more bark skin reduction and massive heals during barkskin so if they choose to use it, its very very very easy to just livelord through quests. it might be slower going, but you wont die.

1 Like

Keep in mind that rotations you see will say to throw up all your dots, snapshotting as possible, and while this is great advice for dungeons and raids, it doesn’t sound like this is the content you’re looking to do.

If you’re just doing some world content: in many cases that sort of thing is inefficient overkill. It should just be opening with a single rake (preferably from stealth but not necessarily) then throwing out your shreds (or Brutal-slashes) and then Ferocious bite at 5 points. Throw out your free heal on yourself as needed. If it’s not an elite this will kill pretty much anything in 1 or 2 cycles.

In this case you’re only throwing out the dot for the stun and increased shred damage. If something dies in 5 GCDs getting just 2 or 3 ticks of a dot isn’t really doing you all that much good, and Ferocious Bite doing all of it’s damage is much greater than dropping a rip that only ticks a few times.

As your gear level increases, stacking your bleeds becomes less and less worthwhile as the up front damage you can do in 5 or so Global Cooldowns reaches the point where you can drop a mob.

(Again, and I can’t stress this enough, this is just for super casual world stuff where the full rotation isn’t intuitive)

1 Like

Thank you (all) for the suggestions/help. So much appreciated. Druid to me is kinda complicated. I’ll get there…

Yes, due to my disability I shouldn’t Raid, PVP, or run Dungeons. They are a risk for me. I have a heart disease that nearly took my life 9 years ago. Nearly means my heart stopped for over 45 minutes. A team of anyone in the hospital ran to my side to give me CPR (with 33 shocks) to keep me from totally dying, while the doctor placed stints (6) to open blood vessels coming and going to my heart. A severe lack of oxygen damages ALL of a persons organs. CPR will just keep ya alive so much, then poof. Good 'ol Agent Orange got me while serving in Vietnam.

Now couple that with PTSD and General Anxiety, I must be careful not to upset my heart with any kind of stress which PVP, raiding and running dungeons do to me. That’s why I do mostly Open World play. A lot less stress. But I love this game. When the doctor said no more work of any kind, what was there left to do.

My son introduced me to WOW which was a God send. Keeps my mind sharp, and good reflexes.

Last night my son told me to try running LFR. He told me all I had to do was close my eyes and face roll. He was joking, but said I could do it. So I’ll give it a try.

Again, I thank all of you for taking the time to help me. I switched to Necrolord last night. Now it’s just work to get better with my Cat.

3 Likes

Mmm in regards to raiding and stress. It 100% depends on who you raid with. A super casual normal mode guild is not going to have the same level of stress as an AOTC guild, which is not the same level as a Cutting Edge guild.

Overall, my stress level with my guild is 90% low.

I think if you found the right group, you could do normal and even heroic. PvP I would stay away from 100%. Even when casually doing it, it is very easy to get stressed. Raid fights are scripted dances, pvp is chaos.

Rotation and talent wise, if I was not raiding:

I would probably take either predator or lunar inspiration. Moonfire is awesome for pulling mobs at a distance.

The next row really depends. Mobility, speed, or survivability. Personally I take wild charge 99% of the time because it is so versatile.

The next row is the same, Resto affinity for more of a healing set, guardian to survive, balance for extra range on abilities. I like balance, but I owlweave so it has that added value for me.

I am partial to mighty bash on the fourth row. It can interrupt uninterruptable casts if a mob can be stunned. But maim can also stun, so heart of the wild with guardian affinity could really up your survivability.

Row 5 talents all have a place. Incarn is probably the weakest of the three, but for open world content I can see using any of them.

Primal wrath 100% for open world. Brutal slash really doesn’t give much to AoE combat and it isn’t the worst thing in the world to not have it for single target. When doing content mixed between AoE and single target, I almost always go primal wrath.

Final row I would pick between feral frenzy and moment. Since you are necrolord I would lean heavily more towards feral frenzy. It adds a dot which I believe is buffed by adaptive swarm.

Rotation: Definitely do what you can to keep a good swarm going, especially if you have your legendary. If you are doing a quest or running from one mob to another, don’t hesitate to cast swarm on yourself to keep a 5 stack of it rolling. It buffs your dots, so keep that in mind and try to keep your dots up. Think of it like a priority. Maintain dots, maintain swarm, everything else. Don’t be afraid to spend some time on the target dummy.

Necrolord Feral is a lot more nuanced and difficult compared to night fae feral, but I really really love its playstyle. I’ve finally reached a point I can pull similar DPS between them in dungeons. However, if you decide to look into raiding, night fae is a beast for single target. Kyrian is also not a horrible choice if you get into group content.

I wouldn’t touch venthyr with a 10ft pole. Blizzard did not design that with feral in mind. We have WAY too much downtime to ever get enough benefit from ravenous and last I knew our auto attacks do not stop it from stunning us.

Keep your trinkets passive as best you can. On use trinkets just add a wrinkle of complexity that you don’t need. There are plenty of decent passive trinkets.

Legendary: For necrolord I would craft a circle of life and death. On a ring ideally. I would make it with Haste/Crit probably (I made mine with crit/mastery back in the first patch lol).

1 Like

Your “wall” is better than my “wall” :wink: