Feral Druid or Outlaw rogue?

Hi!

I would like to play a sneaky dps class and I have been struggeling to decide between outlaw and feral in shadowlands. I realized after testing both specs, they are the most fun among others.

I Just want to hear your take on feral vs rogue.
Pros? Cons?
Which is more fun?

I mostly play battlegrounds and mythic plus.

Any help would be nice.

Cheers

Feral is fun, but the DPS is bad. While I’m not a fan of Outlaw due to the RNG, it does do a bit more damage.

Feral is perennially neglected and one of the consistently poorest performing specs so its very hard to pug anything as feral.

Outlaw is often one of the best specs in the game at M+.

Troll. The class doesn’t matter.

winks and wiggles toes

3 Likes

I constantly top DPS when I play feral, and no I don’t play against bad players. People have this fixation that feral is bad like how survival hunter is bad, but I have an SV hunter in my guild who does better than BM and MM, and no, those other hunters are not bad either.

If you compare the logs for feral and outlaw you will see feral is only about 2% less DPS, and that’s at the very top end of the logs and DPS meters. Which at 10K overall DPS equates to a measly 200, or 0.2K DPS. If you go further down where people are doing 5-6K overall than feral would be doing 0.1-0.12K less DPS, which is nothing.

3 Likes

Feral druids in BG’s are always sneaking around capping towers and bunkers or the farm and what not. Coming from a warriors perspective they are very fun to fight due to the challenge. At least they are a challenge for me anyway. So all in all, I’d say go druid.

1 Like

Necro feral dps is insane and you’ll have a blast deleting people

Outlaw has an incredible amount of defensives and it’s satisfying to execute people with pistol shot procs

Both are really solid choice for pvp

2 Likes

Here is the M+ performance from a few months ago.

(Tables don’t come through )

It’s pre 9.1.5 and feral has since got a legendary update that helps it perform a bit better in m+. It’s also the covenant legendary and the best choice for almost all situations which might put us a leg up in 9.2 with one of the two legendaries having to be the covenant one.

I play both, and haven’t really got outlaw to click this expansion.

1 Like

HAHAHHAHAH FERAL dps is BAD

HAHhAHAhAHAAhahahahahAHAHahAhHaHAhaH

1 Like

Hrmmm some limitations for both.

Feral; pretty good in PvP and as they are at the moment - very much at the stage where they can OHKO a single target. Depending on what you’re doing in M+ they have no issues at +15 but if you’re pushing super high keys they cap out around 17K DPS (large pulls you’re basically using Primal Wrath exclusively as your spender). Most players aren’t pushing that high so as you master the class shouldn’t be an issue.

Outlaw rogue probably wouldn’t be my first choice for PvP (the other two specs perform better) but performs decently in M+. They haven’t been given uncapped AoE which is kinda a pooper.

Roll the bones is trash so never outlaw

Agreed. Assassination or Subtlety.

1 Like

I want to say that feral is absolutely the most fun I’ve had with sneaking around and deleting people in the past. The problem is that the spec is ignored almost every expansion when it comes to PvE, so I hope that PvP is more your jam :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve been mostly alternating back and forth between this character and an outlaw rogue for about two years now. I’m not into mythics, sometimes do BGs when I’m up for it. Mostly open world stuff, qued dungeons, LFR, and Torghast. I’ve enjoyed playing both for the sneakiness, as OP mentioned.

Sneaking around in druid Prowl is quite a bit quicker than sneaking around in rogue stealth. This character can survive bigger mobs, as long as I use the right combination, I can pop regrowth without shifting forms. That’s pretty cool. Not to mention the ease of popping in and out of travel forms, makes playing for me pretty smooth and fluid, not to mention the benefit of breaking out of roots, traps, and whatever else.

My Rogue does seem to do noticeably more damage even on the low end stuff I do.

I’ve only recently come back to the game after taking an extended break over summer and fall to do other real world things, so I’m only just recently going into Korthia. Both chars are around 200 ilvl, and it’s been a bit more of a challenge on my rogue.

If you do Torghast, don’t plan on doing either very quickly solo, if that matters to you. On my rogue, there is an anima ability that attaches explosives to mobs when you throw Distract on them. There’s something I find kinda satisfying when I use that.

My two cents; roll both and play around with them, see which one you like better. There’s fun things and drawbacks to both. Ignore these players that want to keep saying “never this spec or that spec.” Play them, try them in the content you like and make up your own mind. They’re both fun for someone like me, but they might suck in the content you want to do.

2 Likes

as someone who plays virtually every class (16 max toons), if these were your choices, i’d go feral. i’ve played combat on my rogue since vanilla and i tried getting into the outlaw spec when it was changed… but this expansion made me give up on the spec because the other 2 are just plain better.

as for feral, past years have given it a bad rap, and it’s currently doing pretty well in itself, pvp wise. i don’t do arena, for example, but i love world pvp and always have wm on with all my toons. yesterday in korthia, i saw a fellow ally being attacked by a ret pally and ww monk and decided to jump in and help (i do dailies in feral just because i find it easier, not to mention the instant regrowth procs). almost 2min later, the ww monk was dead, and the pally was near dead, bubbled, and tried to make a run for it… needless to say, he didn’t get far once the bubble wore off.

ultimately, play what you enjoy; these were just my 2 cents. =]

1 Like

If you mostly pug, do. not. play. feral. I cannot recommend it in good faith especially if you’re alliance. You’re going to have a very hard time. I’m saying this because you plan on doing M+, I do not know PvP.

Thank you guys, I havent decided yet but it seems druid is getting my preference

Just go druid or do both

You play rogue or is that what you heard ?

Interrupt the convoke if a fae. Also in pvp we have to go the route of pedantry sadly. Is the feral feral all the time?

Druids these days are all over. Popping the bear is common for effect. You hope you drop them before they go ghetto bear setup really. Enters the question is feral good…if they are a bear 50% of the time.

Mobs in pve can do it too. Ye old you did your interrupt, tank went megapull and 4 others did not interrupt. You did you job, others didn’t. and now its a fear party in necrotic.

Rogue vs. feral…rogue can recover faster. Feral with an offlined/interupted convoke just lost its money maker for 1 minute (if fae and lego’d). Now its dots.

Sin rogue is also dots for apples to apples. top covenants and lego’s for them…not interruptible to the point a whole cycle is wasted.