Feign Death + Trap Bug

Here is my take on this whole mess. Its not actually the spell batching directly, its the way it was implemented. That’s to say they some how forgot about ordering. I had a theory prior to the blue post saying FD was fixed that they had messed up the order of things with batching in general.

I figured this was the case of a lot of bugs because of the way spell interrupts are working right now. I dont remember having such issues with kicking/pummel/charge/shield slam etc stopping spells. Right now you better get that spell in the first 1/2 second or everything goes off and your spell interrupt goes on cool-down but they still cast. Lets look at an example of charge and trap.

1. Hunter traps
  2. Warrior charges over trap
  3. Trap goes off
  4. Warrior hamstrings

Now assume that all of these things happen in the same batch. Some of these things make other things impossible ie. if a warrior is trapped he cannot hamstring. So #4 cannot happen. But if they have the order of this messed up on the server it can cause all kinds of weird interactions ie. hamstring while hes trapped. The order is executing like this:

1. Hunter traps
  2. Warrior charges over trap
  3. Warrior hamstrings
  4. Trap goes off

This can happen with lots of other skills to. With kick for instance. If you have a spell cast in the last 400ms of the cast and you kick it the server will see a batch with kick and the spell casting. What order does it execute the commands? It should say “Well the rogue kicked the spell and thus kick interrupted the cast” but what seems to be happening is that its random, sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. This to me indicates they messed up the order within the batching system. The fix for this (without removing such long spell batching) is to rework the priority system and fix the order of basically everything. Druids have a ton of bugs with power shifting. I bet its due to ordering too. ie.

Shift to cat
apply aura
apply extra energy

but whats happening is more like:

apply aura <- fails because they are not in cat and thus you end up in cat without
Shift to cat
apply extra energy

TLDR: imo the order of skills being executed is wrong on the server side

2 Likes

And how is that relevant to feign death? Oh right, it’s not. Maybe you shouldn’t comment on things you know nothing about.

1 Like

It’s broken. As in PVP for hunters is not really a thing.

Because it appears everyone is saying FD/Trap should be instant. The only way it was ever instant was using the PetPassiveMode() script. Show me a clip from after this patch in 2006 where a trap is placed in the same keypress.

Here is a clip of how its supposed to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-BQ_JIcJV4

Notice how he manually stops pet from attacking, clicks FD, and clicks trap, in 3 keypresses. Never was it an instant cast.

Here is a clip of an instant trap exploiting petpassive, and that is the only reason fd/trap was ever instant cast pre bug fix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEQd7Ycydy4

This thread should be titled - BUG - Feign Death not dropping combat quick enough. Because thats the only issue with FD atm, not dropping combat in the way vanish is combat bugged.

Have you played a hunter at all in Classic? PetPassiveMode() isn’t relevant because the bug happens even with no pet out.

This thread should be titled - BUG - Feign Death not dropping combat quick enough.

This is pretty much what the entire thread has been about as it stands? It’s FD taking several seconds to drop combat thus making it near impossible to trap, change trinkets, drink, etc.

Why are you commenting again?

Just replying to you.

Why are people still asking for FD/Trap to be instant in the same keypress. I just brought some extra info as to why it shouldnt be.

And the combat/not combat bug is bigger than just FD. Having someone ride past you with mobs chasing them, while you are attacking something, will train all of those mobs on you.

He is just trolling. Don’t keep feeding him and maybe he will go away.

Obviously it should be instant. Feign isn’t on the GCD.

There’s this new thing called macros which allow 3 clicks to become a single button press

It was never instant without the bug. Understand what im saying. The macro was supposed to be spammed as in not in the same motion.

Step 1 - fd and drop combat. - this is where the bug lies, in dropping combat
Step 2 - cast a trap. will only cast a trap out of combat thus working as intended.

What some of you are misunderstanding and want.

Step 1 - fd and drop combat while also casting the trap in the same keypress.

Another week, another lie. Still broken.

4 Likes

Nah I just want Step 1 to work.

I think they are close. My FD works now when the animation is done. Even with pet attack I’ve seen it work. But step 1 seems to just be so delayed.

1 Like

Feign Death + Trap is still a bug. The delay is the problem at this point…

3 Likes

Bumping until fixed.

FD still takes too long to drop combat and is hypersensitive to movement.

1 Like

Warrior charges me 3 times in 1 fight, I had 2 opportunities to kite and missed my 3rd opportunity because feign death + trap didn’t work.

Rogue sprints towards me and if he catches up and has crippling poison, I’m done

I signed up for WoW Classic so I could Open world pvp with a hunter, but it’s useless right now . Oh well, this will have to be my farming toon

Same. PVP is pretty much unplayable as it stands. I love the hunter but he’s going to be relegated to farming if this doesn’t function better.

3 Likes

In the old days did a FD/Trap macro do everything in one button press or did you mash it twice quickly? I can currently FD then trap somewhat reliably, but I have almost trained myself to wait through the delay before hitting my macro again to drop the trap. I haven’t done this in PvP though, this is only against mobs. And they run away as soon as I FD so they aren’t he best test.

I haven’t had much issue in pve. I remove my hands from everything but the one button to cast feign, so the hypersensitive FD doesn’t screw up the feign. This is a huge issue in itself, but in pve it’s been mostly working.

In PvP, feign is just terrible. It really is just a mess. The only way it works consistently is if I’ve never attacked with my pet, and then scatter the target so I can have the batch give time to allow me out of combat. But then, because the genius decision makers at blizzard decided to implement a vanilla bug as a way of life for classic hunters in the form of shared DR, my traps are only half duration. Also, there are add-ons that retarget players so the target drop doesn’t really happen and melee continue making you grab your ankles.

I’m having so much fun…

Try playing a rogue. We have a ton of bugs too. Currently out vanish is severely bugged and is not dropping combat.

Plus, i’ve been sapped for literally only like 3 seconds at a time.

I played a rogue in vanilla and 3 second saps never occurred.

Welcome to the club, Rogues.

1 Like

Feign Death status report:

• still fails (goes on CD with no combat drop/aggro drop) if you’re even just pressing the right mouse button

• still a ~1 second delay on leaving combat to drop trap

1 Like