Feedback - Stress Test

Realm 15 Stress test Horde
Starting zone overwhelmed. 5+ minutes to tag a single mob for quest.
Moved to Durotar, a little better but still a lot of people “camping” quest mobs.
Sometimes up to half an hour to tag 1 quest mob, even in a group.

1 Like

I’m actually amazed at my latency though. I was getting 150 ms, I assume the server cluster for this is in California? Normally I average 250 or so to west coast servers.

It’s mostly people that have instants that are getting tags. Hunters mostly. My poor priest was having a hell of a time tagging stuff.

2 Likes

So I logged into Server 2 this morning (6/20 8:00 a.m PST) and when trying to log in it said “you have to have an active account…” I was alarmed because my account has been active for years without interruption. I checked and my balance is 0.00.

Second time, I got in. Weird? Anyhow, thought you would want to know.

1 Like

You SHOULD join a group for the starter zone AT LAUNCH it’s going to be brutally packed unless you wait like a day after launch to play.

2 Likes

I started on Server 3 so the initial change didn’t effect me as much. For a launch the amount of players looked about right even though I couldn’t bother with Undead zone first quest. I just ran around after setting up keybinds and again after the first crash killing mobs for lvl 2. Picked up skills and another quest and proceeded to kill mobs again for lvl 4.

Actually completed the bat/wolf, Samuel, and crates by the end. Tried to do the spider’s cave, but just left starting zone for it being overcrowded (which is understandable on launch). Going to the area after the starting zone at lvl 4 I was ahead of the pack I think since I didn’t wait around to kill a mob for a quest. So wasn’t crowded, but still had some players to group up with.

Got to lvl 6 in 2.1 hours right before the second crash and I needed to make dinner. There was lag for vendors and looting mobs for a good spurt there, but just chalked that up to testing. I tried to quest, ran around, grouped with friendly players, and buffed as I could. All in all I had a great time in that short period and the game ran very smooth on my laptop.

1. A tad bit crowded once you reduced the amount of realms, but nothing terrible.
  2. second zone felt perfect. maybe a little underpopulated. but still saw enough people for quest grouping and rare mobs, etc
1 Like

yea having 280 ping is shiet need aussie servers asap

Classic Realm 15

To me “too crowded” would be defined as issues with lag and the ability to play as a result. No lag was expereinced. There were quite a bit of people in the starting area, not a massive amount, but a lot. Due to the spawn rates being normal, it was so difficult to compete that I and others opted to just going outside the start area to grind mobs to and skip the starting quests. I don’t feel the issue was that it was too packed, rather just not fast enough spawning. It frankly made it quite aggravating to play until late at night (PDT) where the population was much lower. Was able to find a little zone all to myself to grind in for a little while which was nice.

Unfortunately, I don’t think I can accurately guage that because I didn’t move onto the next zone until after taking a several hour break and retuning around 9ish pm I believe. When it was late, the population died down by a lot. Up to early this morning around midnight, 1 am it was quite dead. Again, PDT.

And while I’m here, I found several other issues. Pathing was incredibly broken, I’m not sure if that’s just how it was in Classic, but I was seeing mobs in Trisfal and Silverpine clipping through things like fences instead of walking around them, a one of the moonrage worgen NPC’s I saw scale up a tree.

Enabling triple buffering will cause the game to switch between windowed and windowed [full screen] a few times before the game crashes with the error “unable to start 3D graphics accelerator”. Not sure if this is just a hardware or driver issue on my end. Following that, there seems to be some serious problems with shadows. I noticed while standing that the shadows would perodically move. Also some sort of issue with Undercities exterior. Below are examples. HW: Nvidia 980ti, i5-4690k, driver ver 430.86 resolution 1366x768

//https://imgur.com/a/I7lQrIo

From what I can tell I think the shadows are switching between soft and hard.

Played on PVP Realm 3 at around 10:30PM CST and the Dwarf/Gnome starting zone was like a ghost town. Really hope this phasing thing gets under control - have also been playing on the Closed Beta and experienced tons of issues - or is relegated to only PVE realms or something. Running around ghost towns (especially in starting zones) is not authentic, and I’d very much rather the alternative, even with the mob tapping competition - that’s how it was back in the day, you learn to deal with it.

/signed Player since Open Beta Vanilla 2004

2 Likes

Realm 15. Was in the server from minute 1. Shadowglen was a little crowded, even for a launch event (I would say 10-20% less people would be nice). Made it to Dolonaar at 50 minutes in, at first everything was fine, but after Omar ‘added stress’ I noticed a lot more people and it was tough getting out of Dolonaar. 2.5 hours in I moved to Darkshore and only noticed issues around loot based quests (Tools of Highborne was not possible to complete and I logged off after trying for 20 minutes.)

Agreed!
Hunters were solo and grabbing all the mobs, while we had full groups of sham/lock/war that couldn’t tag anything.
Ground to level 4 in Durotar for Earth shock and it got a little better.

I started on the stress test on realm 3 at ~3:20 PDT.

Starting zone was packed but not swarming with people. For a launch day experience I was okay with it. The problem was with the lag. For approximately my first 30 minutes the lag was terrible. I would sell to vendor and wait about 2 minutes for my copper.
I was then disconnected and the lag was much better upon reentering.

By the time I got to Kharanos lag was even better but finding mobs was still a bit difficult. Then approximately (guesstimate) 2 hours after starting I had a third disconnect, after which everything was terrific. Lag was fine, population was good without overcrowding, it was a great experience.

The next day however I found too few players, SW seemed like a graveyard with only a couple people in it, and newbie zones had dramatically died down, I submitted a suggestion asking to up the layer population.

I was a priest. SW:Pain doesnt tag either.

Classic Beta Realm 3. Approximately 4:15 PM PST.

The starting area (level 1-5) was overcrowded, as expected. However, once you were out into the larger questing area (level 5-10), there were only a few spawn issues but overall not too bad.

In all honesty, I was hoping for it to be a bit more crowded. I only saw about the same 10 people outside of the level 1-5 area. I don’t know if that’s because people were frustrated and didn’t level to get outside of that starting area or because the layering was too much.

SW:Pain doesn’t tag because it doesn’t do damage immediately. In order to tag in Classic, you must deal damage to the target.

1 Like

I know. It was changed to later though. My point being, my priest is screwed, esp since we had hunters there farming for skins.

Classic realm 15 around 7:30 pm EDT on June 19 felt too crowded. Spent about 35-40 minutes playing and only managed to get 1 of the zombies for the first quest.

2 Likes

Was about what I would expect on Server 15 right at 2:00 pm, I don’t know about after the server merges started happening though since once I got ahead of the pack everything was fine. Grinding mobs levels 1-10 way more efficient than waiting for quest objectives as I would have expected. Overall was infinitely smoother than any other launch I have been apart of. Even when things were crowded it felt like you could still do everything just at a slower pace than I think most have patience for. All in all I wish you guys were doing these test more often but I understand it will take time to digest all the data and feedback and make changes for the next one, which I am looking forward to.

It was very crowded, but it was fun tagging mobs other people were waiting for. Also Tab targeting doesn’t work like it did in 1.12.

1 Like

At some point Dun Morogh another player and I were clear troggs for a quest, where you also need broken teeth I think it was.

We cleared the area…then nothing spawn for a long time…over 5 maybe even 10 mins. Then all of the sudden, every NPC respawned at the same time…almost like we got sharded/phased/layered to a new area where the mobs were not cleared.

2 Likes