[Feedback Needed] WoW Crashing on connect under macOS Sonoma (14.0)

I’ve reinstalled the entire game four times and it’s happened with characters in multiple locations. such a mess and I’m bummed about missing out on trading post goods, new content, etc.

I do appreciate you trying to help with those tips though!

2 Likes

Adding my voice to the chorus: upgraded to Sonoma last night. I was able to log in and. hang out in Valdraken for a bit, but as soon as I entered an instance (LFR), spinning wheel of death. Tried adjusting down to 1200x800 as someone suggested, to no avail. Just now I logged in on a different toon, was able to complete a heroic BHH, but almost as soon as I left instance (to a Valdrakken with only half a floor), I got Mr. Spinny again.

Pretty much the same as the others:

2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
Intel Iris Plus Graphics
655 1536 MB
8 GB 2133 MHz
LPDDR3

Thanks to everyone who is looking into this and trying out solutions. I have no clue. I even tried to go back to Ventura (which worked fine), and could not. The only backups I have are Sonoma. It’s almost as if they don’t want us to go back a version…

1 Like

The process of downgrading is quite involved. High level summary is, download the Ventura install image, copy the image to a USB drive, boot up the system into recovery mode, use disk utility to wipe your internal drive, proceed with fresh install of Ventura. This is the method I used and it was a clean install which required re-installing everything. If you go this route be sure to back up all your important files! I can’t include links in my post but google “downgrade to ventura” and use the ‘macpaw’ link.

5 Likes

They’ve already disabled as much as they can and still have the game visually functional on Intel IGPs. There literally isn’t anywhere left for them to prune from, be it low hanging fruit or the higher up fruit. Apple has to fell its own tree this time.

1 Like

Adding to the pile here:

2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB
8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

I have been able to use some work arounds, but none of them last particularly long. Tried using windowed at different resolutions but it would crash at different points. Usually the crash would occur if I flew somewhere or entered an instance.

I’m on Sonoma 14.1 but will probably downgrade to Ventura soon. Has anyone heard from Blizzard recently about other potential fixes or if a new patch is in the works?

1 Like

Howdy howdy;

EDIT: Whoever the developer is behind this error log: spooky magic for /Applications/World of Warcraft/_retail_/World of Warcraft.app/Contents/MacOS/World of Warcraft (0xbebafeca) at text offset: 0, you’re hilarious.

EDIT: This is genuinely meant to try and help the dev team at Blizzard, not as an angry rant; sure, it’s a bummer that I can’t play, but I’d still like to try and help find a solution in whatever way I can.

I ran some diagnostics to see what errors are popping up for me when I replicate the issue.

Here are my specs:

2020 MacBook Pro, model ID 16,2
2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB
16 GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4X

Here’s some of what I found in the diagnostics:

The WoW app is getting some tccd errors for me, which indicates that it may have some authentication problems going on.

TCCDProcess: identifier=com.blizzard.worldofwarcraft, pid=14926, auid=501, euid=501, binary_path=/Applications/World of Warcraft/retail/World of Warcraft.app/Contents/MacOS/World of Warcraft attempted to call TCCAccessRequest for kTCCServiceAccessibility without the recommended com.apple.private.tcc.manager.check-by-audit-token entitlement

Looks like that error is related to this system function call here:

FAIL: PID[14892]: SecTaskCopySigningIdentifier(): no signing identifier

Which implies that somewhere, WoW doesn’t have the right permissions to access something, or the way it is accessing it is deprecated/invalid.

I saw this warning message in the World of Warcraft process that indicates a MacOS specific error, related to security/privileges:

WARNING: Secure coding is not enabled for restorable state! Enable secure coding by implementing NSApplicationDelegate.applicationSupportsSecureRestorableState: and returning YES.

I’m not familiar with WoW’s codebase, so I don’t have much insight on that warning message.

I did notice this bit of the streaming handshake with Blizzard servers:

New flow: NEFlow type = stream, app = com.blizzard.worldofwarcraft, name = launcher.worldofwarcraft.com, xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:x ↔ 137.221.106.103:80, filter_id = , interface = en0

It looks like it could be trying to stream data through HTTP and not HTTPS, so the data would be unencrypted. Not sure what all is being sent over that connection, or if it’s related, but it’s still something to note in case that’s a security concern.

Because this error seems to be connection-based (the app crashes for me right as the little textbox that says “Connecting” pops up), I would say - however silly it sounds - you may want to check and/or renew some signing certificates.

There’s also another error here:

AddInstanceForFactory: No factory registered for id <CFUUID 0x6000034270e0> F8BB1C28-BAE8-11D6-9C31-00039315CD46

So something on the loading screen seems to be using the CFPlugin API and is throwing an error as well, which would probably be something in the login screen that other open source developers might be allowed to play with. I don’t think that would crash the program, though.

In all, it could be an auth issue causing the crash.

Not necessarily just network authentication and SSL, either; the app could be attempting to access something hardware-related that it hasn’t received privileges for, because privileges for certain things may now be handled differently in Sonoma.

Source: This could all be wrong, because I am a moron; but as a software developer, I would still breathe my deep, jaded sigh, and check to see if I forgot to include my “license to partake in shenanigans” within my app architecture.

3 Likes

And here it is over a month later. I have an annual subscription so I can’t even cancel it. I’m gonna need the broom mount from the trading post that I couldn’t get.

3 Likes

Aye I believe it is WoW developer’s problem and they are being lazy trying to fix this. I wonder if they are even trying…

3 Likes

EDIT: I’ll say again - I’m a moron, so I don’t know if any of this is actually helpful, I only hope that it is. I’ve played WoW for the better part of two decades now (since I was a lad!) and I’d hate to see Blizzard lose a bunch of players because of an Apple GPU driver.

Howdy howdy,

I did some more digging today, and came across this kernel fault:

Two equal instances have unequal identities. 
<type=Application identifier=application.com.blizzard.worldofwarcraft.222312480.222583823 AUID=###> and <type=Application identifier=application.com.blizzard.worldofwarcraft.222312480.222583823>

This suggests that there’s a conflict with how the system is managing or recognizing instances of World of Warcraft. The “AUID=###” attribute, which usually identifies the user account running the application, seems to be inconsistent between the two instances.

Following that, I noticed another fault:

"setGPURole:pid: failed due to nil IOGPU device ref"

This indicates that the system attempted to assign a GPU role to a process but failed because it didn’t have a valid reference to the GPU. This might mean that when the application attempts to access the GPU, it can’t because the GPU is not being correctly identified by the system.

It’s not entirely clear if these issues are directly related, but they might be pieces of the puzzle explaining the GPU troubles. One theory could be that the application conflict (with the unequal identities) is causing a mishap when the system tries to allocate GPU resources to the game.

2 Likes

Game loads and I can play for little until FPS drops dramatically so it’s unplayable, or the game crashes all together. Was running fine before Sonoma.

Ventura 14.1
1.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 645 1536 MB
8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

2 Likes

So, there was a blue post on the front page of Icy Veins yesterday talking about DirectX 12 issues and the work around being to go back to DirectX 11, which was very simple. I can’t link, but the post is still there. After doing so, I was able to log in, hit the dummies a bit in Valdraken, and do some Dreamsurge with no problems, minus a little stuttering. Just now, logged in, fixed some macros (Clique seems dead) and queued for a Timewalk. As soon as I got in, Spinning Wheel of Death :frowning:
I don’t get any error messages. I can hear the RP and combat if it’s happening. My screen just locks up and I have to quit WoW to get out.
Oy. Any hope on the horizon?

1 Like

Had to update to the latest OS version Sonoma 14.1.1, replying here to help gather feedback in hopes of a speedy resolution… Really hoping for a fix by Season of Discovery.

Macbook Pro 2020
2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
32 GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4X
Sonoma 14.1.1

Crash Code: 32E9046A-E700-442A-977D-564FC2DC896C

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi - Experiencing the same issue since upgrading. My workaround of launching around ten times until I can get it to function appears to have stopped working today. I also don’t believe that downgrading my operating system is a reasonable workaround. Will users be compensated in some way? It is clear many users cannot access the service they are paying for.

Here are my specs:
Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB
Processor: 2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
Memory: 16 GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4X

1 Like

This has been occurring consistently for me for a few days.

MacBook Pro 2020 - Sonoma 14.1.1
16 GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4X

Hoping Blizzard can fix this soon. Literally just resubscribed… :unamused:

1 Like

MacBook Pro 2018 - Sonoma 14.1.1
2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB
8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

1 Like

If you’re referring to the failure to load the new patch, I’ve had this problem and seem to have resolved it.

Mac Studio, M1 Max, 64 GB
Sonoma 4.1.1

I uninstalled WOW and spent time removing all traces from the Applications, System and Users > Shared folders.
I updated Settings > Privacy & Security > App Management by manually adding Battle.net, Battle.net-Setup, and World of Warcraft. “Allow the applications below to update or delete other applications”.
After starting Battle.net the first time, it froze trying to download the game. I deleted the Users > Shared > Battle.net > Agent folder again. I restarted Battle.net and the game download commenced and completed.
It’s now playable although I have to restore all settings and addons, etc.
Not a happy camper. Somone really mucked this up.

2 Likes

I can’t even launch WoW. When I’m in battlenet and click to launch WotLK Classic, I get a wheel of death and the app doesn’t launch. The two issues I have are:

1. The lack of notification from Blizzard that this was a problem before I updated to the latest macOS.
  2. No timeline/estimate on when this will get fixed (even if it’s weeks/months) so I can set expectations with myself or if I need to go and buy a PC.
3 Likes

Yes, that’s my gripe too. I would like to know if I will get a refund for the two months that I have paid but am unable to play WoW.
I’m also annoyed with Apple for creating updates that make a bunch of other apps and games inoperable. I feel like they have completely given up on Intel Macs.

2 Likes

didnt work for me unfortunately :frowning:

1 Like

People posting about battle.net patching issues, that’s not what this thread is about. that’s a separate issue that should be in one of the “can’t update” threads as this one is about an already up to date game crashing.

1 Like