Please check out our new Hero Talents preview and let us know what you think in this thread.

2 Likes

first: Ruby Adept was a better name (but that’s personal opinion).
second: I hope disintegrate has a red appearance.

12 Likes

This is a really cool tree but theres a lot of unknowns that will heavily affect how preservation looks at it, like if Engulf is echo-able and what does reversion crits having a higher chance to proc essence burst means cause the reversion application can’t crit

We also don’t know the range on the Consume Flame aoe heal, which could go from good if its 40yds around the target to being awfull if its 25yds like most dev spells as we share it with them

Echoable or not Engulf still seems like a really good addition to preservations kit, so looking forward to using it

2 Likes

I like the premise of Flameshaper honestly. The idea of encouraging the fire breath build for devastation and encouraging hot gameplay for pres seems nice.

Technical question - Does Consume Flame work offensively for preservation? The tooltip seems to suggest that’s the case, but it’d be a shame if true. Chronowarden already had a ton of hooks for group damage, and without comparable damage from Flameshaper I’m worried I’d never be able to play it.

What is also the range of Traveling Flame? One of the major challenges with Dream Breath (which is already a tremendous amount of overall healing in 5 mans) is that if your group doesn’t play around you, it can feel extremely punishing. Doubling down on dream breath being a source of healing can make this feel even worse.

1 Like

Oh man, I can’t wait to test this in beta. This tree is the first tree (low key interested in warlocks Diabolist) that has given me some excitement with hero talents.

Overall, I think this looks to be very fascinating. I’ll reserve actual judgement until I can mess around with them to see if the theory matches practice.

As a Deva player, honestly I like it. There really wasn’t anything I saw that I hated about this tree. It just made me more curious than anything. Like it’s interactions, synergy and survivability. Engulf looks really nice to be honest. Can’t wait to test it, good job on this.

1 Like

The tree looks pretty nice! Can’t wait to see how it plays out ingame. I only hope engulf has a decent visual and that some of our spells gain a red hue. I don’t think they can make disintegrate fully red for example as it still is a blue spell for all our other talents, but mixing some red into it could be nice.

The only other thing I expected from flameshaper was that it would push us to take Firestorm but looking at the tree, I don’t think we’ll need to.

1 Like

I feel like Conduit of Flame is great for Dev as it synergizes with Dev Mastery, I wish they did the same for Pres, it should read “Targets under 50% health get an extra 10% crit chance” for Pres. Extra crit on someone who is already high in health is just a recipe for more overhealing.

3 Likes

Devastation gets to pick between 2 amazing trees.

4 Likes

This actually makes me want to try an evoker. Looks super fun.

Honestly, this tree was very clearly made with pres in mind and not dev.

Very much hoping the tuning on Scalecommander makes it the go-to.

There are a lot of talents here that make little sense for dev.

1. Conduit of flame makes absurdly little sense after how many times our mastery has been nerfed. Our threat early in pulls with this build will be wild if you aren’t making timelessness available to dev.

2. Trailblazer seems strange for dev but awesome for pres to close gaps. Most dev evokers are using hover in place at least 50% of the time. Deep breath speed is qol but meh.

3. Traveling Flame doesn’t make sense really… It’s rare that you’ll not have your FB up on everything unless you missed something.

4 Lifecinders seems awesome, but wish we could have a way to direct it.

Overall, it’s early and things will change. There’s definitely potential, but it seems like there’s far less potential than Scalecommander. Obviously it all comes down to tuning, but this seems way less exciting.

While Scalecommander has clear paths that seem significant in ST, cleave, funnel, and AoE, this seems purpose-built for AoE, by and large.

It does make me wonder if we’ll have a mastery rework because of the presence of conduit, and also if something is happening with firestorm or if it’s going away, since I expected at least one choice node to interact with it given this theme.

5 Likes

I wasn’t super hyped for Flameshaper/Ruby Adept based on the name, but man these talents seem fun and unique. Excited to test!

1 Like

engulf go brrrr

1 Like

Why the name change? Ruby Adept had a good mouth feel.

Engulf feels like cataclysm era fire mage’s combustion, and i’m not sure how to feel about that.

I am certain that this hero spec will encourage use of the talent that makes Living Flame add a DoT for Devastation, which is okay, i guess. Though it is a bit strange that this hero spec is trying to make Devastation a DoT spec when it really isn’t one.

There are a couple of pointless talents in this tree.

Trailblazer: A speed and distance increase on hover feels largely unnesseccary. I’d rather have more uptime on it. Its counterpart talent, however, could be extremely potent in M.

Traveling Flame: For Dev, Fire Breath is already uncapped as an AoE. It spreading does nothing. Its duration refreshing in single target is going to either be pointless (because you can maintain the DoT indefinitely anyway), or force you to fully charge every single fire breath depending on how it interacts.

For pres, Dream Breath obviously has a target cap, but it’s the same issue of of not really being needed because you already have a tool for spreading dream breath beyond 5 targets.

Also how will this interact with Consume Flame? Because it consumes 8 seconds of duration, will it refresh the duration consumed on a single target? If you consume the entire duration will it reapply the dot?

Burning Adrenaline: It feels fine i guess. Depending on how your able to use it i suppose. If you can use like disintegrate → empowers → engulf → disintegrate ->disintegrate it’ll probably feel good.

Consume Flame: Reiterating what i said above. Really curious to know how it interacts with Traveling Flame in single target. Other than that, it’s a fine idea i guess.

The two talents i did not mention on the left side of the tree are fine. Once again kind feeling like it’s trying to make devastation into a fire mage.

The talents on the right side of the tree are okay. Enkindle is basically the S2 set bonus, and that’s good.

Make Draconic Instincts have a decent change to proc so it can be useful as a defensive option.

2 Likes

Consume flame causes engulf to consume 8 seconds of the FB dot so this talent helps to offset that because it will either spread the dot or refresh it if no valid targets to spread to (ST).

1 Like

Will preface this in that I’m only looking at this from a Devastation point of view.

Okay, I was going to suggest something like Enkindle (Essence abilities being made more fiery) for Ruby Adept because that would be the main way to make a spec that has been focused primarily around Disintegrate and blue damage to fit with the theme.

The good points:
Titanic Precision is great, having crits being even more rewarding on granting more use of essence abilities.
Enkindle is amazing in theory as a flat 20% gain to all spenders in a thematic kind of way. If it comes with an added benefit of making Disintegrate fiery in appearance, has my vote 100%.
Lifecinders or Draconic Instincts? Gold. Lifecinders making Renewing Blaze, one of the strongest defensives we have into something we can give to others as well makes for amazing potential to ‘fix stupid’ in situations where someone forgets to push their CD to live but Draconic Instincts just automatically healing part of it could also go for miles in PvE content (as PvP has Dampening that would neuter it) but entirely relies on having a decent proc chance as living or dying on RNG is less-good.

The Average/Unknowns:
Engulf. An extra ability that has several purposes, it can refresh Flame Breath on one target, or spread it to others which may have some niche uses of faster-applying it to mobs that spawn or are pulled into a pull while the ability is on CD, act as a similar version of a Destro lock’s Conflag with Backdraft, while also exploding some of the DoT damage with the capstone, and possibly boosting Enkindle with the choice node for it.
Unknown parts of it would be, “Is the 8 seconds consumed before or after refreshing in the cases that it does? Does Fan the Flames act similar to the S2 Tier set in simply buffing all Enkindles or only the primary target or ones hit by AoE effects from it?”
–Minor bit, the third row talent that gives Engulf an extra Charge + effectiveness is also just called Engulf as well.
Traveling Flame. A refresh on our DoT is nice, however it comes to question to what empower level does it refresh to? The maximum? Would it be encouraging higher-level flame breaths to get a big initial hit, then stretch the shorter dot into max level duration?

The meh/bad
Shape of Flame. A forced miss effect that would only affect one attack is… Strange, will be likely difficult to measure its effectiveness but is likely the weakest point on the tree.
Crit Reliance. Even with a talent that gives 10% crit on creatures above 50% health (Doesn’t say anything about gaining the same benefit during Dragonrage) it is one of those things that might delegate it to a late-expansion tree to gain the most out of Titanic Precision when reaching high crit levels.
Trailblazer, while great for mobility, leaves that there is nothing that compares to Scale Commander for personal survivability aside from the RNG effect of Draconic Instincts which may limit the viability in the content where not-dying is important.

Overall? A lot depends on how powerful Engulf is because still, it doesn’t change the talent build from our current playstyle, Fan the Flames might still be too deep to care about and there’s still zero reason to go on the left side of the Spec tree but it does make some potential for taking Ruby Embers over Engulfing Blaze simply to buff it a bit further, if it becomes worth it as our usual opener would remain about the same of prepull Living Flame to apply one DoT, Dragonrage to apply another from the Pyres, then Flame Breath before smacking in with the Engulf and continuing as usual.

2 Likes

from a preservation pov:
i think i like this tree! it would be nice to get some clarification on whether engulf is echoable, though - i’m a bit worried that if it is that would mean both our hero trees synergize mainly with the echo build which could leave emerald blossom in a bit of a weird spot, though hopefully it could still be tuned to be competitive. if consume flame works with echo’d engulfs that could also be awkward to balance and i’m afraid it could lead to the baseline healing needing to be tuned to be underwhelming for the potential echo’d healing to not be completely overpowered. so i’m kind of hoping engulf isn’t echoable and it’s tuned to just be a solid single-target spot heal in its own right. which is something preservation desperately needs anyways, since our ability to turn single-target healing into aoe with echo means most of our kit inherently can’t be designed to be good at spot healing.

i’d also like to add my voice to the others here saying that ruby adept was a cooler name than flameshaper as it feels more directly tied to the red dragonflight, but either one works i think.

i’m looking forward to hovering into mechanics from 50% further away (thanks for making that a choice node so even if the other one is useless in raid we can still take it if the hover distance becomes a problem - trailblazer sounds super fun but could be awkward on certain fights)

one other thing i’d like to add is that if conduit of flame applies to healing as well as damage, it could be pretty awkward from a healing perspective - maybe it could be above 50% for damage and below 50% for healing? if it is just for damage though, that’s fine, and it could work pretty well with how front-loaded our aoe damage profile is.

all things considered, this tree looks solid and as it stands now i think it’ll be the one i play most of the time

3 Likes

Scalecommander looks awesome but pretty disappointed in Flameshaper as Devastation

The left side of the Devastation normal tree is very lackluster, largely avoided in all forms of content. I thought a fire-focused hero tree would amplify Pyre, Firestorm, and Living Flame, but it really seems like Flameshaper is just about keeping our current rotation and then complicating it by eating DOTs with a new spell.

That’s not particularly exciting . _. And it feels like a lot more work for the same payout if Scalecommander and Flameshaper are equally balanced.

I’d rather have a Fire Hero tree focus on amplifying the damage, utility, and overall usefulness of our entire Fire School (not just apply and consumes DOTS, primarily from Fire Breath.)

2 Likes

Gonna just echo the opinion of many others as I feel other Prevoker mains have already gone into far better detail then I could on the possible issues with this hero spec Ruby Adept sounds far better then “Flameshaper” like sounded cooler and actually fits Evoker unlike Flameshaper which sounds more like a Fire Mage thing.

Flameshaper is a great name and captures the flavor of the tree very well. I think it’s a big improvement over Ruby Adept.

Trailblazer’s speed component is quite welcome, but the extra Hover distance will frequently be a drawback. A different bonus to Hover could make this talent a lot of fun. (For example, modifying Hover to fly to a targeted location like Rescue does.)

Regarding Lifecinders, I would love to see it apply to “the nearest ally” instead of “1 nearby injured ally”. Targeting the buff via proximity would allow for skill expression and would combo nicely with Verdant Embrace. Also, Renewing Blaze is often pressed at full health before a big damage event goes out, so the extra buff shouldn’t have any special preference for injured allies (imagine you want to buff a nearby Priest at full HP just before they take a big hit for 90% of their HP, but instead your Renewing Blaze spreads to the tank who was missing a small bit of HP after taking a melee attack). Alternatively, perhaps Lifecinders could make Renewing Blaze a targeted spell, applying to both you and your target.