Feedback: [Classic] / [Dungeons] WOTLK Dungeon Finder Tool needs some adjustments

I recently went back to WOTLK Classic and experienced myself the new Dungeon Finder Tool. While it is great to see organized play getting a new addition, it comes with serve problems that I observed while I was partaking in it.

Community Requirements inside Titanrune Dungeons (Gamma Protocol)

Every so often I encountered players with a relative low Ilvl / “Gearscore” compared to the other players in the Group which resulted in a bad behaivour of the rest of the group.
It was not rarely the case that those players with low ilvl (around 4000 GS) were bullied for signing up to the dungeon or getting immediately kicked for it.
While I understand this is a community run issue it presents a problem due to Titanrune Dungeons (Gamma Protocol) presenting the best way of gearing up for returning and new players. This is especially the case due to other queue option not being saturated enough to be a valid option.

Suggestions to solve this:

1. Enforce a minimum Ilvl scaling inside dungeons, so players with less gear won’t present a “burden” to the rest.
  2. Enforce a general ilvl scaling upon all players in a dungeon to present an even playing field and keep the content longer fresh.

Random Dungeon Finder Tool present too many options to the player

Currently we have following options presented to a player:

-Titanrune Dungeon (Gamma Protocol) (General the Default option that gets played)
-Titanrune Dungeon (Beta Protocol) (You can find some here but it’s very rare)
-Titanrune Dungeon (Alpha Protocol) (Not played was over a hour in queue)
-Heroric Dungeon (Current Starter Option for fresh 80’s)
-Normal Dungeon (Leveling)

These are five different queues with two (Beta and Alpha) of them not being used by the Player base, which creates a steep jump in difficult for players if they try to find players to play with. Players are basically getting forced into Gamma after Heroic due to not having enough players to saturate all queues.

Suggestion to solve this:

1. Remove Alpha Protocol from the queues alongside with Beta Protocol.
  2. Add Beta Protocol rewards to Heroic Dungeons to help players to gear up for Gamma Protocol.

Gamma Protocol - Players forget about NPC Buffs

Personally the addition of those buffs present a lot of fun when players use them. Every so often I encountered players who simply didn’t know about them or selected the wrong buff for their role.
It creates a very frustrating experience when the Tank forgets about his thorn buff, which will result in him losing aggro very often.
Also, a group wipe often means all players will have to select the buff again after running in, which not so rarely results in players forgetting about reapplying them.

Suggestion to solve this:

1. It would be great if those buffs last over the death and get reapplied when phasing into the dungeon.
  2. Maybe add a barrier similar to retail Mythic Plus (before the key starts) which prevents players from starting the dungeon as long as they don’t select a buff.
  3. Only offer the buffs suited for the role.

Hope this is some valuable feedback,

Yumuros-Thrall EU

4 Likes

While I see the issue here, I’d rather see the merge of the other queues instead of putting scaling into Classic. Scaling ruins any feel of progression on the character.

I really like this. I’ve been leveling a druid and I do not look forward to spending that long in queue. I also don’t think it’s great to split the community between 4 different queues.

And I definitely second this! I’ve missed applying my buff several times after dying and I don’t really see why it can’t be kept between runs/deaths and instead just have you summon the NPC if you want to change it. I do still think that the NPC should offer each buff but they could perhaps prepend each choice with the recommended role.

I’ve been enjoying queuing up for at least one dungeon each day to get my daily emblems. The emblem quests together with getting the stones from bosses gives a good balance of high reward for low commitment but still allows for people that want to grind to do so.

I would however love if the emblem quest didn’t require you to loot the final boss, I’ve missed doing so a few times and they don’t get sent to your inbox which forces you to queue for one more dungeon (which isn’t bad but isn’t great when you’re limited on time, ex on raid nights).

Overall, the gearing curve on Wrath has been a blast and I feel that RDF fits well into the system. But hopefully we could see some of the above pain points adjusted/fixed before or together with the Ruby Sanctum release.

1 Like

Scaling is absolutely not the answer in my view, it detracts from the very core of the game. I think a better way of handling it would be to bump up the minimum requirements a little bit for Gamma to avoid this happening, but at the same time I think a lot of the toxicity comes from people thinking they need absurd gearscore levels to complete content or that they’re scared it will take them an extra 10 minutes to do the dungeon. The solution to that is for people who are going to get upset about people’s gear level to make a premade group before queueing so they can vet who they play with.

Also on the topic of RDF, the levelling brackets are kinda broken. You can only queue for dungeons which are considered Yellow to you, no green or orange dungeons (I think?) This is not how it was in Wrath during 2010, where level 20 players could queue for Blackfathom Deeps, right now they can’t. for example. Right now, Deadmines is listed as being 15-25, but it disappears at level 21 from the queue listing. Also some characters at the same level have different dungeons showing than what should be shown.

2 Likes

I think this is a good solution, increasing the minimum requirements for Gamma will force those not meeting them to queue for Betta first until reaching the requirements. And don’t just bump them up “a little bit” but significantly.

While I was disappointed I could not queue for specific dungeon to complete my quests, I think it was designed this way to allow players earn the largest amount of experience possible. Toxic players cannot blame others who are too low level for the dungeon.