Feature Request: Player Housing

I’ll keep this short since the topic title says it all, but I believe that player housing is a natural fit for WoW:Forever. Particularly with there being an RP server and transmogrification enabled.

Plus since professions have already been reworked, it would be a nice opportunity to add furniture recipes on boss loot tables for leatherworking, blacksmithing, tailoring, and engineering (in addition to normal loot, not competing with any item drops).

Harvesting wood from chopping trees could be added as part of the material acquisition for housing-related craftables.

And please no Hearthsteel; just make all housing-related items obtainable through gameplay (crafting, dropped, on vendors, or as quest rewards).

19 Likes

I think there might be plans for it, since they haven’t taken away the infamous SW housing portal, and there’s a similar thing in Riverglades. But yes, I think it would be a cool feature to add, especially for RP servers.

3 Likes

this is an adventure game :expressionless_face: not animal crossing

6 Likes

No one would be obligated to interact with the housing system or build a house if they didn’t have any interest in that.

It’s a purely optional feature, at each player’s discretion as to whether or not they’d like to participate in it.

6 Likes

You have this in retail:)

5 Likes

i have never understood what player housing even means, you don’t need a bed you can just log out where ever

1 Like

I’m only in favour of player housing if it occupies a physical location in the world. If you can literally buy one of the unused buildings in Stormwind or Orgrimmar and noone else owns it except you, yes 100000%. Even if the door just acts as a portal to a pocket housing instance (like in ffxiv), I still want a house to be owned physically in the world and require upkeep to continue owning so that housing is active and present in-game around other players.

If it’s just an instance where everyone owns a house, or an instance with a housing district, then no. A huge first step for me is that the housing needs to be something that fleshes out the cities that already exist. It needs to be something where you are walking past someone’s actual house in-game as you explore areas.

Add some houses to Goldshire, and Razor Hill, and Ratchet. Don’t add a portal that everyone disappears into. Please don’t add a portal that makes everyone disappear from the world.

3 Likes

I would be all for this! I like the FFXIV approach also. They just need to add hundreds or thousands of plots out in the empty spaces in zones and in the empty vertical space in cities.

I’m not entirely opposed to player housing in principle, but absolutely NOT the system in retail - they’d need to figure out something else.

2 Likes

lol. this reply always cracks me up. Look around the game, it all exists in retail, too! Dungeons, battlegrounds, raids, etc. All in retail! Does that mean they shouldn’t exist either?

I love player housing. I also understand many players don’t. That’s cool, to each their own! But stop saying we shouldn’t want it because it is in retail. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

I basically feel the same here. As a mostly classic player, I haven’t actually touched retail midnight’s housing system at all. This is mostly due to no interest in investing time into retail, but also because I’ve heard that the way housing was implemented in midnight didn’t really work out as people has hoped.

I’d like a revamped housing system for Forever, one that is more conscious of the effects of its implementation. I did interact with housing for many years in FFXIV and black desert online, and I really enjoyed both. They had a good system of adding housing into the game world in real locations that could be visited that wasn’t just a void people disappeared into.

Lets hope it’s not being considered all that much yet because of the “honeymoon phase” of the game.

We know they want the game to be more community driven with players interacting more with one another, that is a given and they’ve even stated so. Player housing takes away from that and people will spend hours upon hours in their homes, you know it, I know it, we all know it.

Now, if they can find some way to do it where it doesn’t take away from that, all the more power to them. Here is to hoping they are considering it in a MUCH different way than they’ve previously done it. As housing stands in retail, it is a terrible idea for Forever.

Honestly, I think the best way to implement something like this is Rift’s Dimension system.

It is purely cosmetic, doesn’t affect anything about the game outside of it - allows people who want to to have fun and doesn’t affect anyone else. It also had Guild Dimensions, so you could build a big thing w/ your guild, have jumping puzzles, etc…

The main things is - it shouldn’t affect the rest of the game and it shouldn’t just be a cash shop vehicle.

If you liked FF14’s instanced housing neighborhoods, they are actually fairly similar. The main difference is where you enter the neighborhood portal. In FF, you’d walk to the portal of a Mist neighborhood in Lower La Noscea, iirc. In WoW, the portal is in the mage tower (so yes, it feels a little less connected)

By and large though, they are super similar. (Minus the competitive nature of getting plot in FF. I don’t miss the pre-lottery placard spamming, lol. Though I did snag a Mist 5 that way) :slight_smile:

The only game I’ve personally ever played with in-world housing you’d see in the zones was Archeage. No instancing at all. Lotro has neighborhoods just like FF and WoW too.

2 Likes

I completely agree on this and any housing system needs to be explicitly designed with the intention that your house is a public space, not a private space. This is exactly the reasoning behind why I said:

I’m sorry but that seems like you want to dictate how/where someone plays with their game time.

How many hours do people spend in raids? Or BGs? I’m not a pvp’er…should I not want long BGs because it takes players out of “my” world? (doesn’t that sound silly? and..selfish?)

2 Likes

Firstly, based AF I hope you like your premium collector’s edition mansion. I and everyone who knows what this means are all extremely jealous of you hahaha. (I got a Goblet 29 + 30, owned the little island all to myself & my FC!)

Dofus had it too, where the housing update just made all of the non-interactable buildings into purchaseable buildings. They were all unique, so one house could be owned by one player only, and one player could own only one house. Guilds could also buy houses.

That system made housing feel secondary to the game, which is what I want. It felt great to own propery inside an actual ingame city, and your personal presence in the world didn’t disappear, it just centralised around the city that you owned your house in.

You could also sell houses, and in later server launches, certain high priority and premium properties had their keys shuffled into the world as global drops to ensure that gold buyers didn’t get the most prestigious houses.

It was awesome. Please just copy Dofus.

Yes, and that’s good. This is the explicit goal of the campfire system and everyone loves it because it brings us together.

Contrary to the subtext, a player owned house should be a public place, not a private one. Your house should be on a street somewhere that people are going to walk past. It should not be your personal haven, because if everyone in the game has a personal haven, then… yes, you all disappear from the world, and that’s against the stated goals of Forever.

On a normal server, with midnight’s housing system, yes I agree with you. But on roleplay servers I think it’s certainly a different story, as there housing becomes a cornerstone of driving additional player interaction.

I completely agree with this sentiment above however. I’m definitely NOT asking for just a clone of what has been seen in retail, as I agree it generally detracts from population in the open world in an unhealthy way.

I’d like to see devs get creative here with a new system that truly enables players to have a housing presence within the game world.

It is THEIR game, and they can dictate how they want their game played. Taking one snippit of what I said and trying to twist it is quite unproductive to the topic.
Also, trying to compare group content that has player interaction (your BG/raid statement) to something that people go and spend hours doing solo is null.