Fear over High Elves

Hello WRA.

I’d like to preface this thread that by saying I am so happy for the Alliance. I think that this is a win-win for the community, and I’m pleased to know that the Alliance players here will be receiving a customization option that’s very long overdue.

However, I am afraid.

And I apologize if my fears do not come off as valid, but please hear them out.

My biggest fear right now, with these upcoming changes, is the loss of friends some of us may experience in our RP communities. With so many half-elf and High Elf RPers that walk amongst us, will many of us feel pressured to abandon Horde, for example, to go live their dream as a High Elf on the Alliance? Will Alliance half-elf RPers feel pressured to transfer to Horde so that they could wear the shorter ears?

Is this a valid fear, or am I exaggerating?

Either way, I just need to hear that regardless of what changes this brings, we will remain a community that’s kind, and we will continue our friendships and storylines with each other–even if they change faction for a few of us.

1 Like

I don’t think it’ll be something to be afraid about.

I also think it should really be left at that until we have more lore, or someone says something about it.

Just be patient - there will definitely be an answer, and people will want it coming from the big man himself. Just like the classic community made J. Allen Brack eat his words, those who really want High Elves will demand Ion explain himself.

Don’t fret. It’s just a game, and people who draw lines in the sand over choices you make in a video game - those aren’t your friends.

5 Likes

(Commentary): There are avenues to pursue RP across factions as is, but honestly, alts are also a thing to be considered. One could easily have their Blood Elf in the Horde, make a High Elf alt on the Alliance with the same name who is the same character to be with their friends over there, etc…

(Speculative): If anything I imagine this change will just facilitate more neutral RP.

(Observation): I may be wrong, but I think the ear length option is also going to be applied to Void Elves. I don’t see why Half-Elves would be in the Horde to begin with.

4 Likes

Saying “I want to play a high elf” is one thing, but saying “playing a Real High Elf™ is worth 30 real-life dollars and also upending my entire social sphere to me” is another.

You might get a few people doing it, but I don’t think it will be a substantial number when you can just roll an alt instead.

3 Likes

I do think this would be a great change, especially with the languages that both Ren’dorei and Sin’dorei can speak together. I hope more avenues for cross-faction open up as a response to these changes.

3 Likes

I’m rather doubtful it’s going to break the RP scene. People are still going to RP their elves horde side and most will probably que the clown car music as they begin unloading their reasons for a High elf in the Horde.

Personally, my view of it is that so long as their character is not going “Hi! I’m a Belf/Velf that is official Horde/Alliance and am visiting Stormwind/Orgrimmar for some reason and can walk around without issues” then I’m not going to be phased.

People will just do as people have always done really.

3 Likes

People already rp horde high elves by playing dks

Now they’re just going to be different classes

I honestly wonder if it’ll be an opportunity for more neutral characters, honestly. I’d imagine most Blood Elves are going to stay as Blood Elves. Silvermoon really is the epitome of the elven aesthetic - and that’s something that’s significantly lacking on Alliance side. Some wouldn’t feel elven pride as much RPing in Stormwind, I suppose you could argue. So the Horde has a significant advantage insofar as it’s got the big elven hubs. Teldrassil is gone, but Suramar and Silvermoon yet stand.

Other than that I feel this’ll actually boost potential for RP. People might RP on both factions, especially now that crossfac RP is allowed. Realistically we can now effectively have two identical characters on opposite factions - which is a pretty cool thing. I wonder, personally, if this will actually broaden RP horizons rather than limit them.

It’s also worth noting that some people who already RP Half Elves and even uncorrupted Blood Elves (so, High elves I guess) on Horde, are actually already loyal to the Horde.

I think this brings more opportunities than limitations, though that may just be me.

2 Likes

Speaking from personal experience, it actually works really well to level the same character on both factions, from the standpoint of broadening RP horizons!

3 Likes

I see the opposite. I think this is a boon, especially for someone that just wants to play a neutral character that can play on both Horde and Alliance without any major changes to their aesthetics.

They also said all the blood elf skin colors will be made available for the void elves, so I am certain there will be the ears to match.

Huzzah!

1 Like

As somebody whose watched the Alliance population bleed lately, our fear came true. This is a bout of hope for some of us.

People should be allowed to play on the faction they enjoy with the race they enjoy. This might help things more than hurt anything.

13 Likes

This too. I hope this boosts the Alliance population a tad. I miss the Alliance being more populated and active outside of peak hours… and I never want to move to MG as I feel WRA is the MOST balanced server and thus has the best potential for crossfac RP. Harder to do that cross realm.

6 Likes

This.

I want to see us be known for our cross-faction and balanced community. BFA put that into turmoil.

8 Likes

Agreed, yeah. It’s why, as sad as I am to see Stormwind so empty at my dumb oceanic hours, and despite the fact that I’m mainly Horde these days, I’m determined not to leave allyside. Need to keep it alive, for the sake of crossfac xD

I also have a Void Elf, and I don’t see a lot of Alliance on WRA, even in the midst of the day. I’ll stand in the center of the Boralus hub and only come across 10 or so players.

I don’t mind faction balance. I suppose I’m fearful over the changes this may bring to my mostly-Horde RP, and curious as to what it may bring for cross-faction RP.

I’d say Stormwind is still the main hub of the two, tbh. This could be part of the issue.

2 Likes

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

2 Likes

The Alliance player base has dwindled during BFA. It’s no surprise based on the content and story we got, but it’s still sad. If they aren’t going to remove faction barriers then playable Alliance high elves is a good step.

That said, I don’t think this will change all that much for the Horde RP scene. People will likely just be encouraged to make alts or make their visions for characters they’re already playing a better reality.

7 Likes

Yeah I don’t think the inclusion of high elf options will actually change the PvE scene, which is what matters for the overall game. It’s what leads to the massive faction imbalances since racials and etc. are wildly out of balance.

1 Like

I’ve known a few people who were convinced that most Blood Elf RPers would switch entirely to Alliance if High Elves ever became playable, but I’ve never understood why they thought so.

Very few people on this server play one faction exclusively anyway. And if someone is attached to any given character, then the ability to make a new kind of alt is unlikely to cause many to abandon their previous favorites entirely.

Alliance-side activity will probably go up a bit (and that will probably also be helped simply by it not being BfA anymore). I expect a lot of new Void Elves to be rolled, both by people who main Blood Elves and people who don’t. But I really don’t think the Blood Elf population overall is going to decrease much.

5 Likes