Fathom Ray Flesh WQ

The champions version of this quest has the pull-down tool you use to pull them from the sky. The WQ doesn’t have this, and is now known as by far the worst quest in Nazjatar. I skip it completely.

Second issue is prevalent throughout many quests: RNG where there should be none. If I kill a fathom ray, it has flesh or it wouldn’t be alive. So tell me why I only get flesh from every fourth one? Especially when the stupid things actually give me Moist Fillet – obviously the thing has flesh, it’s a fathom ray, and it should give me flesh. If you want the quest to take longer, make it 24 flesh but make it that every single one gives you flesh. There is no RNG in whether a fathom ray happens to be “holding” flesh, if it didn’t have any I couldn’t kill the stupid thing. This is prevalent in tons of quests and just insults my intelligence and induces disgust, frankly, that this idiotic quest mechanic is still in the game after 15 years. Probably the worst offender in this regard was the demon eyes collecting quest on Argus, where only every 10th demon had a single friggin’ eye. Please stop it. It’s easy NOT to do it, so don’t.

3 Likes

You do understand that

1. The RNG loot feature you complain about is fundamental to WoW, going back to vanilla. Not every bear has a butt, and not every duck has a liver. You might as well write a whole new game from scratch before that kind of change will occur.

2. The behavior you’re complaining about isn’t a bug, because it was intentionally designed that way? No one in Blizzard will read your post except QA, and they’ll ignore it because a design feature working as designed is explicitly not a bug.

If you reeeally want to overthrow one of the defining root gameplay characteristics of WoW, you’ll have to make a design change suggestion in one of the non-support forums, like Quests, where they accept suggestions.

1 Like

A.K.A this has always been bad, therefore there is no reason to make it not be bad now.

Additionally, it is incorrect to equate the change the op is suggesting (make the drop guaranteed but increase the number of drops required) to the concept of rewriting the game from scratch. The change would require 2 changes to 2 database tables at most, and would have no impact on the rest of the game.

Finally, you are likely correct that the quest is working properly, but give the extremely low drop rate, it is possible that there is indeed a bug causing the quest item to drop much less frequently that intended. As such, it is appropriate to report the issue so that Blizzard is aware and can potentially investigate. If the drop rate is intended, no harm has been done. If it is not, then an issue will be resolved that would otherwise been left broken.

1 Like

Why do people post things on the bug forums that are not bugs.

This forum is used to report PROGRAMMING! bugs. Not things that bug you.

1 Like
  1. I could care less. Change it anyway.
  2. Yeah, it is a bug. the champions quest has a pull-down mechanic and so does every quest like it and so should the WQ, otherwise you have to aggro out of the air and and use ranged and all such nonsense, only to find you get NOTHING 1 out of 4 times.

Have your “classic” quests, I won’t do them. I didn’t do the stupid demon eyes quest and I won’t do this fathom ray nonsense either. If you want to make quests people hate and avoid to be “classic,” fine, no one will do them. Classic clingers need to just go play that and let retail make a game that makes some sense.

To the “Why do people post things on the bug forums that are not bugs.” poster that doesn’t realize questions end with question marks: It is a bug. The pull-down mechanic was in the champions quest and should be in the WQ, too, otherwise the quest is unplayable. Here’s a question for you: why did you feel you needed to post something that offers absolutely nothing other than to attempt to aggro me? In any case, you aren’t Blizzard, I’m not talking to you, and I don’t value your feedback.

1 Like

Not certain the flesh thing is a bug, but damn it those rays need to start getting amorous because 2/3 of the time spent on the WQ is waiting for spawns.

1 Like

You may be on to something here.
Even with the painfully low drop rate, both the world quest and the follower quest would be a lot less painful if I could reliably pull a bunch of the rays.
Perhaps this is the real bug, a spawn rate that is much too low.

1 Like

It it possible this got stealth fixed in the last day or 2? I managed to do the follower version on my Horde alt in only 16 kills. Anyone else see a difference?

Is it possible it was RNG all along?:thinking:

RNG is stupid for fathom ray flesh. Every fathom ray has flesh or it wouldn’t be alive to kill. I actually get meat drops from the stupid things, but no flesh? Please.

1 Like