Fatal Exception ERROR #132 - I tried everything please help!

It was a good suggestion, but unfortunately I was able to repeat the crash within about 10 minutes with only the one monitor plugged in.

10 min in and what happened?
Anything other than the 132 error?
What area in game was you?
Basically the same questions again.
Was anything better?

On Tom’s hardware website…
See if you are over clocking in the BIOS.
… Restart computer … Key to enter BIOS.
Look for Turbo Mode and disable that.
Also…
Pull out battery … If it is not there it can not affect anything.

The crash was the same as all the others, I was flying around Valdrakken at the time. Not an improvement really.

Nothing is overclocking in the BIOS. And this is my desktop that has the issue, so no battery to pull out.

Ok…sorry about battery.
Can you look at the plug at the top of your 3080 to see if any discoloring … From electrical damage… It also might have burnt smell. This might be more of a blue screen issue. Rather than just a disconnect, but it could just be the first sign of that issue.
Heat also will … Restrict your SSD even if you have a heatsink on the drive.

I suspect this may be Alienware-related. I do not think it is a coincidence that we are all on high-end Aurora R15s (unless I missed something).

1 Like

Howdy!

We’ve seen an uptick of reports with error INT_DIVIDE_BY_ZERO exceptions with multiple games from Intel 13th-gen CPUs. A few steps that has helped others:

• Review your Motherboard booklet on how to update your Bios. This is an advanced step, so we recommend consulting the motherboard or system manufacturer if you need assistance.
  • Disable features in your UEFI:
    Intel Turbo Boost Technology / Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0
    Enhance Multi-Core Performance

Thank you.

I have the same issue with my non-alienware desktop running a gigabyte RTX 4070 Ti, i9-13900K, and an aorus z790 elite ax motherboard. Nothing is overclocked and I even tried reducing my RAM frequency and enabling/disabling XMP but nothing has worked.

I have an Alienware Aurora R15 with a Nvidia RTX 4080 with an Intel i9-13900KF and I have this issue as well. Going into the UEFI at Boot (F2) going to Advanced and disabling Intel SpeedStep, Intel Speed Shift (disabling one or the other will not fix it, BOTH have to be disabled), and Hyperthreading does seem to remedy the ERROR 132 issue.

However it comes at a cost because we lose anyhwhere from 30-50% of our frame rate (from 120-140 fps down to 60-70 fps).

This is with Alienware Aurora R15 BIOS version 1.6.0 (this is the latest available on the DELL website at the moment as of this post). However there is a 1.7.0 available currently through Windows Update (which I dare not install, no way am I installing a BIOS through Windows Update, I’m on Windows 11 Pro) .

When SpeedStep and Speed Shift are enabled the frequency of the crashes seems to be proportionate to the crowding in the area you are in, which would make sense as the CPU load increases. This also for me seems to be more prevalent since the Tuesday maintence, I never really had any issues before then.

@Zuvykree - will this be addressed in a patch soon?

I hope this is fixed soon because running on Intel Gen 13 CPUs as they are intended to run makes WoW unplayable esp in crowded areas with the Error 132 bug.

And this is the ONLY game I’m having this issue with, and can confirm I have 0 issues with GPU temp (less than 50C) and CPU Temp (sub 45C).

EDIT: I retested leaving Hyperthreading on per @Vtzr below and can also confirm that being enabled seems to be OK. So it looks like disabling Intel SpeedStep and Intel Speed Shift seems to be a temporary work around for Error 132 for Intel 13th Gen CPUs.

Blizzard please try to fix this ASAP. . the FPS hit is horrendous!

1 Like

Can confirm… been successful so far (about 3 hours of playing). I disabled Intel speeds step and Intel speed shift but kept hyperthreading on. So far no crashes but I do notice a drop in FPS. At least no crashes.

1 Like

I found a fix (game hasn’t crashed in a couple hours anyway).

Go into the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility software and change Performance Core Ratio from 55x (or whatever your default is) to 54x or lower.

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work for Alienware users since the common denominator here are 13th gen Intel CPUs. I haven’t disabled Speedshift or SpeedStep.

edit: Setting it to 52x from 55x has completely mitigated all errors. I received one when I lowered it to 54x initially, but none since going down further.

1 Like

I posted this in the other thread, but adding here as well for visibility.

For Alienware users be aware that Intel XTU and Alienware Command Center DO NOT like each other and Intel XTU will likely require you to uninstall and re-install AWCC to fix it if you wish to go back to it.

Thank you, this appears to have worked. Played for 3 hours today grouped and ungrouped and no crashes. Specifically, I had to disable Intel SpeedStep and Intel Speed Shift. I left Hyperthreading enabled. Many thanks to everyone who chimed in to help out.

Of course, if this turns out to not be the cause and I get another similar crash, I will update.

Thank you all!

I would like to re-iterate this should not really be considered a solution. At best it should be considered a temporary work around. Turning off Intel SpeedStep and Intel Speed Shift come at a very large performance loss. This technology is turned on by default for most if not all Intel 13th GEN CPUs UEFI settings.

There is definitely something wrong at a core level with WoW Retail, Windows, Intel 13th Gen CPUs (especially the i9s) and it’s execution handling via scheduler or timing. This was not an addon / game file related issue, and can be reproduced easily in crowded spots with a stock brand new install (no addons), with all the latest BIOS/drivers.

So Blue, please DO NOT file this issue away as solved. . it needs to be actively investigated specifically in regards to Intel 13th Gen i9 CPUs.

I’ve also been having this issue, with an Aurora R15 running an i9-13900KF. I tried everything I could think of, including reinstalling Windows entirely. Support ended up confirming it was a bug and directing me here.

Out of curiosity, are you guys exclusively getting divide by zero errors? I get divide by zero errors ~95% of the time, but every once in a great while, it throws a different Error #132, for an ACCESS VIOLATION. If I’m doing a dungeon or something, it will occasionally be mixed in with the crashes I get for DIVIDE BY ZERO, so I am wondering if it is related.

Yeah it’s mostly Divide By Zero, right now we only have 3 potential work arounds

1 - Go into UEFI and turn off Intel SpeedStep and Intel Speed Shift. . .
- This comes at a pretty big performance hit but it makes WoW Retail stable. I’ve personally had some success with this. . . but it is a huge FPS hit for every game you play and it is painful to force a reboot everytime you want to play something besides WoW.

2 - If you aren’t an Alienware owner. . you can use a program like Intel XTU (or your prefered hardware tweaking software) to drop the core ratio from the default of x55 to x54. . which a user in this thread has reported with some success.

3 - If you are an Alienware user you can actually try doing the minimal overclock AWCC will allow of JUST the CPU.
- I’ve also personally had some success with this and others have reported success as well, but I’m not a fan of overclocking. . would much rather run things at stock, and AWCC is notorious for it’s stability issues, and it still requires a reboot if you want to remove the overclock when playing something else.

Until a WoW developer can run the Game in debug mode on the Intel 13th Gen i9 platform and see the issue in real time and work with their channel partners at Intel and Microsoft to solve it. . . . we may never get a full fix. I hope this does happen. . . because you should be able to run the game at stock configs. . without having to do hardware tweaks through software to make it stable.

But now that this is marked as solved I fear that may never happen.

I too have been experiencing these issues. I have an Alienware Aurora R15 13th Gen Intel i9 with an Nvedia GTX 4080. A complete system check has been run (system, drivers, hard drive memory etc). Every test indicated there were no issues. Also ran a benchmark program which stressed my system beyond what WoW would stress it and there ere no issues. I have completely uninstalled WoW and have a clean install. Running WoW without any addons, I grouped with a guild member who queued for LFR, error 132 happened while waiting in queue.

Here are a bunch of potentially relevant things that could be causing these issues taken from some dedicated people that track all the issues across a multitude of sources. Not all of these are 100% relevant to this thread, but I’m making a list to copy paste in other threads with similar issues. All of these were pulled from the stickied Reddit thread about it https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/18al12y/game_ready_driver_54629_faqdiscussion/:

• Windows 10 KB5032278 addresses a Windows (not driver) issue that affects non-admin processes, specifically game performance goes down and video stutters. Windows 11 KB5032278 doesn’t list the issue

• [GeForce RTX Series 40 GPUs] stability/TDR/black screen issues. Check for a motherboard BIOS update that states ‘compatibility updates for Lovelace’. The motherboard update is in addition to any VBIOS update [unconfirmed, but relevant and likely]

• [Windows 11] [Severe Performance Degradation] on some systems over extended periods of use, desktop applications and games. Impacts 545.xx/546.xx drivers, reverting to 537.58 or older driver resolves the issue. NOTE: could be related to the now removed bugtrack [4379096] *this might be related to KB5032278

• V-SYNC] after extended PC use, V-SYNC may stop working correctly on some configurations. Removed in 546.29 release notes, was bugtrack [4379096] fix in HOTFIX driver 546.31

• Performance dropping significantly in all games after installing a driver, see https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5408/ *power level percent limit might not be at 100%

• NVLDDMKM / TDR / Stability issues, if troubleshooting (re-evaluating RAM/CPU/GPU overclocks voltage timings, disabling PCI Express Link State Power Management in BIOS, disabling PCI Express ASPM (PCH) in BIOS, disabling PCI Express Clock Power Gating in BIOS, testing with Nvidia Debug Mode, testing Powersupply [PSU] e.g set to Single Rail, disabling Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling setting, EDID driver bug (see CRU entry), disabling hibernation/fast startup etc) hasn’t helped try a driver considered by the community as stable/consistent

And this last one seems to be pretty relevant to a lot of the random memory related crashes, across all games but some more than others, but isn’t fully confirmed yet, though it seems highly likely(guru3d has some serious wizards on their forums):

• Recent drivers are [exposing issues with edge case system RAM instability]https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/psa-535-system-stability-concerns.448168/(motherboard BIOS RAM timings / RAM clocks / RAM voltage)

So this is looking like some mixture of Windows and Driver related problems. If the guru3d link is actually onto something, then WoW might be one of those games that triggers the issue easier than others.

1 Like

New nVidia driver today; interested to see if it resolves some of these.

1 Like

I’m actually testing this Nvidia 546.31 Hotfix driver (using ‘Perform Clean Install’ Option) today at stock hardware configs. . . will post results later.

Update: So before I was able to reproduce this error fairly quickly. . . so far it seems stable after about 15 mins of testing. . normally I could reproduce inside of 2-3 mins.

Only 3 things have changed since I last reproduced this error:

1 - I’m running Nvidia 546.31 driver Hotfix (this can be found on Nvidia’s site by going to Support → Consumer Support → Explore Support Options → and keyword search for ‘hotfix’
2 - There was a minor patch download for WoW today
3 - I did overclock my machine yesterday and then disabled it using AWCC. I noticed today that this did write overclock profiles to the Alienware BIOS that were not previously there, but the option to overclock is disabled.

One of these 3 things may be the magic bullet. . . but I really can’t tell you which one.

2 Likes

If I had to guess the one that makes the most sense would be the v-sync fix that is in the 546.31 driver hotfix.