Farewell, WoW. It's Been Fun, Abusive, Funny, Abusive, and I'm Gone:

There weren’t any roles or classes that took “insane skill” in TBC. Time invested =/= skill. This game was infinitely less complex back then; not just raid mechanics but character gameplay.

Yes, because stance-dancing, seal-dancing, weapon-swapping mid-attack, etc. weren’t strategies utilized at all.

Not to mention utilizing spell-batching as we knew it and so on.

While the game was simple at its core, the things people discovered and did were not to be scoffed at.

I agree that loot nerfs, and this has become especially apparent with recent time walking nerfs, are just another gate system they put in to keep us on the treadmill.

I have to say it feels awful being quite a few weeks into the expansion, and still am using a baseline mythic weapon on my toon because I either get low Ilvl main hands, or high Ilvl off hands. I thought the loot system would be the kind of deal to where it would improve over time, yet I’m starting to feel like that’s all going to be a pipe dream. As I feel with the amount of effort I have personally put into the game, I should of seen more drops personally, or more variety in my vault. Than what I have gotten so far along with many others, while I get to see some win the lottery on a daily basis.

They gated everything in game, and it feels bad and feels suffocating at times as a result. Along with a feeling of dread every time I do a key, and pretty much know that 9/10 times I won’t get any lot, I’ll get a pitiful amount of anima. Along with the actual effort required to do the key makes me feel like I’m being cheated out of a lot of loot and anima.

I’ve been having thoughts of quitting the game in favor of my college degree, which I won’t be starting the new semester for another couple weeks annoyingly. Yet the direction they have taken the gam isn’t fun for anyone that cannot dedicate most of to all of their time to the game. They went too far with the grinds and demands honestly, and its making me feel burnt out. As its difficult to juggle worrying about real life matters, my job and the game given the time demands required to mythic raid right now.

4 Likes

Correct, they were all done with macros, yes that’s correct. Might I add, a macro that was hot-keyed to one button.

Blizzard bad.

Got it.

1 Like

I kickstarted mine in march, and we went live in August. It’s pretty amazing holding your own copy, and we’re making good money. I already had a bunch of novels out though.

If you have questions hit me up. It may feel like a pipe dream, but if you bust hump you can pull it off. The community of devs is pretty cool.

Blizzard now bad.

Blizzard not bad before.

Blizzard stomped all over old Blizzard while claiming their laurels for their own.

Fully intend to. Give me a tweet or a parley up above.

Fire mages have a one-button combustion macro now. Complexity Limit’s mage even has a video on it with everything to write for it. I used it. 10k burst while moving was pretty funny.

6 Likes

Sometimes it feels like Blizzard is trying to pick for me…maybe that’s why I chose the off-meta covenant.

They really do like telling us how to play, don’t they?

Oh well…I complain a lot, but have also left a ton of feedback over the years as well. My sub will end close to 4 months into the expansion, so there should be a real patch by then, so that patch will ultimately decide if I decide to quit WoW for good.

Game is enjoyable when you’re doing M+ with people you know, but for me, healing these dungeons can sometimes be far more stressful than any other competitive game I play. CoD and Overwatch got nothing on healing M+, and my highest is only a +8. xD

Take it easy, random person.

2 Likes

Thank you. It was a pleasant read for this type of post.
May your life be filled with fun and laughter.
Good luck and good hunting!

3 Likes

I’m not trying to leave with the message I hate Blizzard or anything like that.

I do hope my life does, in fact, get filled with that. Legends of Avalon is a dream I want to see become real.

A game system, like WoW was supposed to be, easy to learn, hard to master. Able to overspecialize, but at the cost of utility otherwise gained, and so on. True freedom - written by a min-maxer, theory-crafter, and person who knows how to loop-hole everything. To make a game where you need your friends and can’t solo the world like most other TTRPGs today.

2 Likes

I don’t doubt this in the slightest. They don’t seem to at all understand how and why Classic/Vanilla worked. So they have grabbed seemingly random elements of it and dumped them into retail figuring it would have to make retail better because people like them in Classic, right? Problem is, Classic works as a whole and what makes Classic work does not work in isolated pieces.

The biggest current example being the gear drop rates. Classic gear drop rates do not work with the way the game currently scales. You don’t need gear to be raining down, but the way the game is currently designed needs more gear to support it than is dropping right now. Which is why a large number of people aren’t happy with it. People aren’t “spoiled” and they aren’t “brats” and they aren’t “lazy” compared to the old farts. There is an actual disconnect between systems in the game which is making it not work well.

Not understanding the original workings, Blizzard done the equivalent of deciding people like watches so they’re going to make watches. They look at a watch and take the most obvious pieces… an outer case… a face… hands… a few gears… and they put all that together then don’t understand why it doesn’t run.

This is not to even mention, while there is inevitably some overlap, most people playing retail aren’t interested in playing Classic and vice versa. As a retail player who has played from the beginning, I loved vanilla. I played the hell out of vanilla… back in 2004. Since then my interests have evolved with the game. Further than a little nostalgia, I don’t want to replay vanilla. This isn’t a smear against Classic, it’s a statement of “I’ve already been there and done that and I want to keep moving forward with new and inventive elements and new story.

So trying to turn retail back into Classic isn’t what a lot of people currently playing retail are wanting, causing a disconnect between the product and the playerbase.

24 Likes

For me it all went downhill with Cata. I didn’t mind mop/wod as many other do but I really disliked BfA and I am not liking SL.

I don’t expect the game to go back to the old ways but the new ways I find rather disturbing. What really gets me after all these years is the quality drop of the game overall. I can’t believe this game has a Blizzard brand. They used to stand for something back in the day. Now it just feels like a bad joke like buying something “expensive” turning it around and it says “made in Hong Kong” on the back.

7 Likes

See ya next expac bud!

Oh you can see the future ?

OP made a fantastic post imo.
I agree with reason #1 most of all!!! 100% spot on!

“Antagonistic” is a very mild and polite way of describing them tbh. “childish” also comes to my mind.

ty for your post :heart:

15 Likes

Special place in hell.

1 Like

Pretty much took the words out of my mouth.

Been playing since 2006 myself and this is the expansion that put the nail in the coffin for me as well.

Everything you outlined is perfectly stated for me

7 Likes

I tried to phrase it from a position that people could understand what the gripe was without just saying, “Wah, wah, game is bad.”

1 Like

What’s crazy is this has a blizzard stamp on it.

It no longer deserves it.

But then again, blizzard to me is dead. It’s just Activision now and it’s fairly clear

8 Likes

Remember when Blizzard meant quality? I do.

9 Likes