Fantasy Novels

I wanna read some absolute dimerag fantasy novels, in line with the Warcraft books or George R. R. Martin. Anyone know a more obscure series to get into?

Also, I swear if anyone says anything bad about Discworld I will very strongly disagree.

1 Like

You might want to check out the Dragonlance Chronicles trilogy. It’s probably the first fantasy novel I can really remember reading. Anyone into D&D in the 80’s and 90’s probably read the books or at least knows of them.

I also liked the Dragon Knight series, totally unrelated to Dragonlance, by Gordon R. Dickson. If you ever saw the old Rankin/Bass animated movie The Flight of Dragons, it’s loosely basked on his books. The first book is called The Dragon and the George.

5 Likes

I love DL but that first novel–Autumn Twilight–is almost unreadable by today’s standards. :frowning:

Still, Weis and Hickman created game fiction. Those novels were groundbreaking.

1 Like

Patrick Rothfuss is good. But as slow as GRRM without the age reasons.

2 Likes

The Forgotten Realms series has a lot by various authors.

1 Like

Try empire of the vampire, for a light supernatural tinged universe-set in a so and so medieval so and so steam punk era.

I’m still trying to figure out what “dimerag” means and how it fits in with GRRM.
You could check out the Amber series by Roger Zelazney. It began in the 70s so may be largely forgotten today although it was some great (imo) fantasy. Bob Howard wrote for the early pulp magazines. He created Conan, Bran Mak Morn, Kull and several other fantasy chars.

Look for The Dark Sword Trilogy.

A Song of Ice and Fire, the WoW books, or the Diablo books.

The Wheel of Time books are a fantastic fantasy series. Much much better than the show. Highly recommend

1 Like

I’ll second this. The Kingkiller Chronicles is a great series.

I love Rothfuss.

I’ve been audiobooking the Witcher series. I really like it.

I’m working on the Sword of Truth series, Stone of Tears. It’s been nice.

My Dad raves about the Sword of Truth Series, we listened to the first book over a month on drives (he’s read the whole series already), and while I dislike the Author’s Bizarre Torture Fetish and that horrifying almost “grape” scene I’m considered a baby usually for hating such things, so have at it.
Modern fantasy… gags

Wheel of Time
The Stormlight Archive (brilliant)
The Lies of Locke Lamora

The biggest pile of poop and not even worth watching. Shame on Amazon for ruining a brilliant book series :expressionless:

sigh what it could have been…

Neverending Story.

Interesting fact about it: The Nothing is caused by the Manipulators bringing parts of Fantasia into Reality as lies.

I dare say Coriander inadvertently caused the Nothing to claim the Empress’s old Body and name by telling someone about her and the locations & people of Fantasia upon which said someone started mentioning Fantasia as a real place to others to get people to accept the Talking Wolf Gmork and sell products claimed to be from Fantasia which is why Fantasia took the form of the Neverending Story Book and presented itself to Bastian so that he can give the Empress a new form followed by a name.

Whoever Coriander told about Fantasia knew enough to send Gmork(who being a genuine talking Wolf will only belong to Reality if everyone believes the world of Fantasia is part of Reality) to prevent someone from giving the Empress a new name which would save Fantasia from being made into a lie fed to those that Gmork was to be presented to.

Bringing parts of Fantasia into Reality for real would just as easily create the Nothing and that version of the Nothing would not go away by giving the Childlike Empress a new name and form as it would be seen by the People of Reality as Fantasia setting up a new Empress to replace the old one brought into Reality rather than the lie being exposed.

If you want a body of work that will keep you busy for a long time, the Malazan Series, created by table-top gamers Steven Erikson and Ian Esslemont is by far my favorite fantasy series. The first book in the series began as a script pitch for a fantasy series.

Below is the read order of all the material if interested.

Gardens of the Moon
Deadhouse Gates
Memories of Ice
House of Chains
Midnight Tides
The Bonehunters
Reaper’s Gale
Toll the Hounds
Dust of Dreams
The Crippled God

His gaming partner, Ian Esslemont, wrote a whole slew of books in the same world but read the Books of the Fallen first.

Night of Knives
Return of the Crimson Guard
Stonewielder
Orb Sceptre Throne
Blood and Bone
Assail

Esslemont also wrote a prequel on how the Malazan empire came into being in the following:

Dancer’s Lament
Deadhouse Landing
Kellanved’s Reach
Forge of the High Mage

Back to Erikson and a spin off series of the favorite ‘evil heros’ in the Bauchelain and Korbal Broach Novellas. Characters were introduced in book 3 of the Books of the Fallen, my favorite of that series, and required reading for any Warlock character :stuck_out_tongue:

Blood Follows
The Healthy Dead
The Lees of Laughter’s End
Crack’d Pot Trail
The Wurms of Blearmouth
The Fiends of Nightmaria
Upon a Dark of Evil Overlords

Erikson back with a prequel series to the Book of the fallen (having to do with the origins of the Tiste a looooong time ago):

Forge of Darkness
Fall of Light
Walk in Shadow (rumored but no release date)

Latest project is a series based on the Telbor (book 4 of the Fallen Series).

The God is Not Willing
No Life Forsaken - in work no releaes date yet

That should keep anyone busy for a few years :stuck_out_tongue:

Came here just to mention Dragonlance. The single greatest fantasy setting ever created and a massive rabbit hole for anyone that gets into it.

I actually recommend newer people start out with The Meetings Sextet, skipping Vol 1 and then doing the Chronicles. Wanderlust may very be the single best introductory novel for the Dragonlance series and obviously, the series is the backstory of all the major characters and leads up to how they met before the War.

Also, OP…The Witcher novels are top notch reading.