Fanfiction Question

I am very excited about this year’s NaNoWriMo as I am using it to tell the story of my Nightborne. It’s a coming of age type story and I’ve been forming the skeleton of it for about a year. I recently discovered a secondary character and love interest that I had not previously considered, and with that realization I sat down and typed out a full treatment of the story that will serve as kind of a rough outline. It’s really exciting!

But then I had a rather rough realization. I painted myself into a corner and I am not sure how to get out of it. So I am hoping there are some people willing to help and throw some suggestions my way!

My Nightborne has emerged from Suramar believing he has lost his family in the Insurrection against Elisande. Broken by grief and forswearing war, he emerges into the world of Azeroth right at the start of BFA, and promptly goes to Pandaria, removing himself from the conflict. In Pandaria, he struggles to make a life for himself, but is very miserable and lost. Until one day, while fishing in the Dread Wastes, he is overcome by minions of the Sha of Fear (influenced, secretly, by the bronze dragonflight).

There is some question as to if what follows is a dream or reality. I would very very much like to keep it as reality. When I played it, it was a dream, but I found I didn’t like that approach and want it to have actually happened.

My mage ‘wakes up’ as he is being shoved through the Dark Portal by Khadgar, and when he emerges on the other side, he stares right at the full might of the Iron Horde. Even worse, people that come through with him turn to look at him and ask: “What now, Commander?”

(Yay Chromie Time for giving me the ability to do this haha).

But of course, maybe you see the problem I’m having? How could a Nightborne be in Draenor (partially answered by the bronze dragonflight manipulating time), and how could the people around him know who he is and what the events are that he sometimes talks about? (The Burning Legion, the insurrection against Elisande, etc). Initially, I just had it as a problem that isn’t discussed, but now I’m wondering if that will fly.

I can’t decide if maybe whoever sent my mage on this journey, I don’t know, magically makes him appear ‘normal’ so that all the things he talks about are just accepted as normal, or if he should be doubted because he looks so different and talks about events that haven’t happened yet. I have a rather fun moment near the beginning where my mage encounters a rogue who seems to know him, but ignores him - and later meets the rogue in Draenor (unknowing it is the same rogue who came to find him in Suramar…sort of a ‘future past’ thing).

Tl;Dr
Maybe I’ve done too much talking, but the help I need is such: can you help me decide as to if the bronze dragonflight could make my mage appear ‘normal’, or if he should be considered ‘strange’ - or if there is a third option I haven’t seen yet?

Thank you.

To the natives of Draenor, everyone but orcs or Draenei are equally “strange”.

Hi.

During the Cataclysm era, a group of Highborne from Feralas, the Shen’dralar, rejoined the rest of the Night Elves. This was the lore rationale for why Night Elves could now play mages, but it is a pretty neat little tidbit. You can read more about this faction on Wowpedia here.

Back to your story, I don’t think it would very far fetched for him to be mistaken for one of these Highborne. His unique appearance as one of the Nightborne could lend to perceived credibility and magical aptitude - explaining the unexpected role of commander he finds himself in.