Fallout TV Show

I mostly like it but there’s some really bad character development going on at times. Lucy is far too stoic about the terrible things shes done and had done to her for someone living in a vault their whole lives. She just cuts a dudes head off and carries it around like its nothing? Her finger gets cut off and she POUTS instead of a scream of pain? Seriously? Maximus is total moron honestly who cannot handle any pressure at all and seems totally unfit for the Brotherhood. The Ghoul is actually cool and interesting and seems to have some reasons for why he’s so unpleasant, I hope he ends up becoming a better person later on. As I said though, I feel the writers are terrible at the character development here. I’m playing Fallout 76 and the writing is so much better. People actually go through human trauma and all that in a more believable way.

Edit: I thought I posted this in off topic?

1 Like

In Fallout, one of the main points is always that no one is really a hero, and everyone is flawed. I think they handled things pretty well. Season 2 also got confirmed, so we’ll see where the characters go next.

8 Likes

They don’t because they are not conveying how traumatic things really would be for someone like Lucy. Shes acting more mildly annoyed at things that are really messed up. Chopping a dudes head off and carrying it around is some def trauma and nightmare stuff. Like even people who’ve been in wars would be messed up to do that and she’s some innocent vault girl doing things like that? um no. lol. The writing is really bad in some places. In others its cool, I’m NOT saying it’s all bad, just some parts. Like I am def interested in the plot with the Vaults.

1 Like

So walks into building as a Vault Dweller.
Leaves as a murderhobo.
That sums up Fallout.

3 Likes

Lucy was basically programmed. That seems to be one of the experiments of vault 33 was to make them ok with anything. A lot of other vaulters seem to be almost automaton-like. Save for a couple. Her brother is one I feel like was resistant to it.

Maximus being a moron is a good thing though. It gives him flaws. Sometimes makes him entertaining.

I really don’t think anyone will be a better person in this. Everyone is pretty much terrible to an extent to save their own hides. Which I can buy in a wasteland environment.

1 Like

They did say the timeline is 19 years after Fallout 4? That’s what I’ve seen on Twitter, from people like Todd Howard and other “official” sources?

It’s also not a show that takes itself too seriously. What you might see as poor writing is basically…well, that. The show not taking itself too seriously. Another thing it got right from the source material.

3 Likes

I’m probably gonna get hate for this but I found it to be kind of boring. There were a few funny, cool moments though.

I will say, though, going in as someone who hasn’t played Fallout is a bad idea. I was confused 90% of the time and it felt as if they didn’t explain things enough for someone new to the Franchise.

I watched all 8 eps and I honestly can’t tell you wtf happened because I have no clue.

Fell in love with the Ghoul, though, so I’m gonna keep watching :grinning: He is best boy.

Wrong. The games are quite serious. Did you play them? They definitely have serious tones. Fallout 76 certainly does. Fallout 1 and 2 did. 3 as well. 4 you can be a sarcastic goofball but there are still serious things going on around you. I mean how was there being a bunch of big green guys turning people into supermutants and lead by a hideously deformed “Master” in Fallout 1 ‘not serious’? Or in 2 the Enclave is back and trying to take over things and they killed your village off, they killed off Vault 13 as well. 3 was trying to find your dad and getting involved in that thing with the pure water and the AI president who wanted you to poison it so it kills EVERYONE with any mutations, Fallout New Vegas was about the war with Caesar, NCR and House for New Vegas, Fallolut 4 was trying to find your son who was kidnapped by the Institute who replaces people with synths and is rather fascist in some ways, and the Brotherhood also showed up to the party to want to take things over. I don’t see the non serious there so much.

1 Like

Lucy and vault 33 were specifically genetically set up to be overly optimistic and adhere to positive social expectations.

They were a carefully selecting breeding pool line.

3 Likes

As I said, “too seriously”. I didn’t claim it was a comedy.

5 Likes

Yep, they were products of Bud’s buds program in vault 31.

3 Likes

Right. And had 200 years of selective breeding and training to act a very specific way.

There were specifically not normal and would not respond to many situations “normally”.

5 Likes

It’s a big universe with a lot of lore. One’s enjoyment was definitely improved with some prior knowledge, but I do think they explained a few things pretty well. There’s a lot of lore online if you ever want to dive down that rabbit hole.

1 Like

And “positive social expectations” don’t really add to “Im fine with chopping this mans head off and carrying it around or I barely even make a noise of pain when my finger is cut off.”

I need to play 4, I just haven’t done it yet because I have so many games I’m behind on lol I might just watch some lore videos or playthroughs on YouTube.

(Even if they explain it, I’m kind of a dumb dumb so it goes over my head :dracthyr_lulmao: )

Nah, its terrible writing. I’ve played all the games and that excuse doesn’t work at all. Plus we saw other people from her Vault react with anger to the Raiders for example.

They live in controlled mindset of extreme meritocracy.

You do what you have to do, with a smile.

Thats sorta their entire thing. Whatever you do, you do it with enthusiasm. Whatever your job is, whatever your role is. You do it. With a smile on your face. Period. Or else.

They sorta drove that point home.

2 Likes

We really were watching 2 different shows. She was not fine (people who are fine don’t talk to a severed head lol), and she did let out a cry of pain. She’s also quite a trooper because she has to be. That was established in the first episode.

4 Likes

The writing team for the show is just not on par with the ones for the games IMO. Maybe they think the people watching the show can’t handle how dark the games can be at times?