Faerlina Full at 2:30 PM, Sigh

I hear Heartseeker is nice this time of year.

4 Likes

It’s all interconnected and unless you’re just attempting to be witty and be super technical about it, yes they do.

More layers = more players in = less queues.

Less layers = less players in = longer queues.

This is how it is working right now.

Yeah yeah I get it, “BuT tHe PlAyEr CaP iS iTs OwN tHiNg”

Sure, but that’s not what’s happening right now.

4 Likes

Thanks for your personal explanation and absolutely no reference to anything Blizz has stated about layers.

Imagine rolling on the streamer server. :rofl:

5 Likes

No. The number of players is going down.
The number of layers is going down too. That’s why it feels like thing don’t improve.
In my own not scientific estimation, we’ve already lost about half players and half layers.
When we reach 1 layer per server (probably already the case on some servers), the queue time will go down. Until this moment, wait time will stay constant.

2 Likes

You really need me to reference something they have said a million times over when describing how layering works? I take it you’re new here.

Take the free transfer otherwise get ready for longer queues.

Sorry you’re 100% wrong.

You’re fundamentally misunderstanding what a “layer” actually is, and are conflating “layer” and “server cap”.

When Blizzard increased server caps after launch, that improved queues. If Blizz added 20 layers today, for every server, that wouldn’t affect queues even a little bit.

Lets say you have a 10,000 player server capacity for a given realm.

You are currently running 5 layers, such that if 10,000 people are logged in and running around, only 2,000 are actually visible to each other at any given time in their “layer” of Azeroth.

That still leaves every other person after that 10,000 in queue.

Now lets say you added 15 layers. Now you have 20 layers, and of those 10,000 people logged in and running around, you have 500 players in each layer of Azeroth.

Where does that leave everyone else after that 10,000 the server can hold? Still in queue.

Now lets say you have 10,000 people in-game, and 5,000 in queue.

You have no layering AT ALL. But Blizz increases server capacity to 15,000. What does that do for queue? It eliminates it. All 5,000 people who were in queue are now in-game (albeit in a monstrously overpopulated and unplayable mess).

Hopefully that clarifies why layering does absolutely nothing for queues.

2 Likes

It’s crazy. The same people that you’ve shown the blue quotes to just keep coming back, acting like they know more than the blues.

2 Likes

Its spelt queue
Get rid of layering
Thats what you get for playing on a streamer trash server
They re offering free realm changes go do that

Next thread

2 Likes

Obviously you’re going to be waiting then.

The transfer option is so insanely fair that to argue any other solution is repugnant.

1 Like

There will be more players in Phase 2 then there was at launch. There will be more players next year playing Classic than this year. So I seriously doubt layers will be removed.

Blizzard better keep adding servers for new players and hopefully reduce the problems on big servers by preventing new players from going there.

you rolled on the server full of streamers. this is the consequence

2 Likes

Yes they do… the whole point of layers is to have one dedicated layer run on a single PC. I’m pretty sure several server racks power a single realm.

It’s multihreading efficiency

1 Like

I think so too. That there will be more people. There will also be more realms to accommodate.

Layering will be removed pre phase 2. Regardless.
If they don’t remove layering, you will witness people quitting… then there won’t be a need for more realms, or layering…

I’m glad some people aren’t willfully being dumb over something so trite.

1 Like

This is false. They’re the only reason queues are as small as they are right now. If they turned off layering, every single server, even the smallest ones, would have queues.

Blizzard has said they could just raise the number of layers to get rid of queues entirely, but this would only be putting a bandaid on the issue because when they go to turn off layering, the queues would be truly colossal. The largest WoW has ever seen. Having queues right now is supposed to encourage people to move to lower population realms to help alleviate this issue.

1 Like

if they dont remove layering people will quit. layering is garbage that doesn’t belong on Classic and even Blizzard knows this as they said they are committed to removing it by phase 2. like it or not they will remove it.

That’s because the blue quote taken out of context means very little.

Layering needs to be implemented in tandem with server capacity increases in order to have any meaningful effect on queue time.

Just because the Blue post is saying “when we remove layering, there will be longer queues”, does not mean layering is the direct cause of those queues. It could be that max server capacity will be reduced as well, to compensate for the removal of queues. We don’t know. You don’t know.

What we DO know, is that from a logical perspective, if a football stadium can hold 5,000 people maximum–just because you partition that stadium once, twice, or 50 times, doesn’t mean you can now magically fit more than 5,000 people into that same exact space.

4 Likes