Fade Bars Out of Combat

Yes, I know I could be using Bartender, Dominos, all that… But I’m more of the minimal type of person, not wanting all the extra features packed in. Is there some way I can fade them out of combat, but have them fade in for?

Anything you do is likely going to require at least a minimal addon.

It might be possible to do it with a macro you execute on login, however.

If that’s what you’re really wanting, post back and I’m sure someone will be along to help.

1 Like

I’m looking for a minimal addon, or some pointers for lua to do so. I’m not much of a “Macro UI” type of guy, though.

1 Like

Bartender and Dominos are both solid bar mods. What you’re looking for will be in there.

ElvUI is my choice only because there are other things I want to fiddle with and I don’t like having too many addons (ElvUI is a whole toolbox of selectable areas of modification - if you go this route, you can shut off ALL of it except the bars).

Once you have one of them in place, you can set up a visibility mode that includes [combat] and you’ll be set.

Short of writing something specifically for that, I don’t know of anything that’ll do it except a bar mod and those three (addons probably cover 90% of the population of players that use bar mods at all).

1 Like

Hi Kredael.
I agree with Ehiztari.
I personally use Dominos for the fading feature. It’s very minimal on ressources and you have 3 basic presets out of the box (found in the “Profiles” tab at the top of the Dominos options menu).

First thing you need to do is to enable the “configuration mode” by either left-clicking the Dominos minimap icon or by clicking the “configure bars…” red button at the top of the Dominos options menu (under the “General” tab).

Right-click on the bar(s) you want to fade when out of combat.
Click on the “Advanced” tab, at the bottom there is a “Show States” field.
You can then write this in the field:

• [combat]show;hide

This will hide the bar completely when you are in combat. When you are in combat, it will show the bar at the opacity set under the “Layout” tab.

Another way to do this is to replace “hide” with a number value. This will fade the bar to the desired % instead of completely hide it. Let’s say a 25% opacity, then it would look like this:

• [combat]show;25

Or you could instead set the “out of combat” condition instead of the “in combat” condition, then you would write it like this:

• [nocombat]hide;show
    or
  • [nocombat]25;show

Those are the most minimalistic ways to achieve what you asked that I know of.

Personally I set up my combat bars a little differently. I set my opacity to 100 and my faded opacity to 50 under the “Layout” tab.
My bars are showed at 50% faded opacity or at 100% opacity when I mouse over them. Additionally I wrote this line in the “Show States” field:

• [mod:alt][combat][@mouseover,harm,nodead][harm,nodead]100;show

This will set my combat bars to 100 opacity if I am:

• pressing ALT
  • in combat
  • mouse overing an enemy that isn’t dead
  • targeting an enemy that isn’t dead

It needs only one of the listed conditions to be met for the opacity of these bars to be at 100. Otherwise, they are shown at 50% faded opacity (unless I mouse over them).

I hope this helps.

21 Likes