Extremely slow game download

Hi,

I’m trying to download WoW on a new pc but the download speed is extremely slow.

I tried everything that was suggested by blizzard support, as well as reinstalling battlenet, and disabling my antivirus and firewall, but nothing seems to work. I have the bandwidth box unchecked too.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have …

Task manger …
Details …
Right click on each one and set to high priority … Change the core used, afility. Uncheck the the first core, let windows have that core.
And as always run as Administrator.
Close all other … You can also set in battle.net the 80% of your top end of download speed. This allows windows to have some bandwidth.
Watch your temps on the heat generated as well. A SSD without a Heatsink can thermal slow down so slow that you can see it on the graft.
Good luck.

1 Like

Placebo fix, it’s 2023, you don’t need to mess with core affinities anymore and it almost always leads into issues if you do.

OP probably needs to check their drivers or their modem/router. You can also run a speed test to something like fast.com or speedtest.net to see if there are any irregularities. After you first run the fast.com one, you can click more info and it will show you your unloaded and loaded latencies and will show you your upload bandwidth.

1 Like

Your bandwidth is shown one tab over from details. It shows your system resources and bottle neck locations.
No download needed.,“Placebo fix”
It show when a non gpu program is using a gpu core…

Sorry the biggest speed up is Wired to modem.

Thank you both for the replies.

I apologize for not mentioning that this issue is only occurring with Battlenet. My internet speed is close to 300mbps.

Right, but routing and server loads can all factor into that. D4 is in earlier access mode right now. Probably a ton of people using server bandwidth to download it, across multiple platforms. If it’s not that, then there can be some bad hops leading to the battlenet download servers.

300mbps is just your raw connection when you speed test to some test server that’s like <100 miles away. The rest of the internet traffic is heavily under the mercy of the backbones that run around the country.

1 Like

This was my initial thought as well. Everything was loading and downloading fast everywhere else, except Battlenet.

I’m currently downloading WoW and the speed is ranging between 2-4mbs. So I guess I gotta wait a few more hours for it to finish.

Thanks again.

Hmm… Well I just tested redownloading a game on battlenet and was getting like 18MB/s (~150mbps if you’re talking bits) on a 250mbps connection while streaming a movie in the living room. So maybe there’s something janky going on with the routing of your connection to the download servers.

1 Like

Yeah, something weird is going on. The download speed just went up to 9mbs.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.