Exploiting layering to 'reset' a boss over & over?

Since the twitch streamers have been doing the exploits Blizz has been throwing the TOS out the window too…

4 Likes

Yeah. It shows you who wears the pants. A billion dollar company is scared of neckbeards in their moms’ attics.

3 Likes

Indeed, and as expected the game got changed and damaged in it’s super special starting period thanks to this new “feature”. I sure hope Blizzard still thinks it was, and is worth using it as it’s still active now 2 weeks after launch.

The damage from layering is only getting worse as we speak, and it’ll also be very tricky (and unpleasant) to decide on the moment when its time to turn it off, cause whether they do it now or 5 mins before P2 releases, there will be even more massive queues awaiting people especially on high pop realms ofc.

I just hope they have as good of a timing as they still can have now in terms of turning it off, and manage to keep to their word of deleting it “a few weeks” after launch. That’s about the best that could happen at this point.

Layering doesn’t effect ques…
It only effects the people you see.

Asmon just made a video about it, and Esfand made a video in Gnomer showing it works. It’s real.

Blizzard said layering affects queues themselves in this post:

While we are able to fit several times more players on a single realm in 2019 than was the case in 2006, we are not going to raise that cap any further, even though we have the technical capacity to do so. Raising realm caps would simply forestall the problem, letting more players in at launch but creating an unsustainable situation down the line, with severe queues when we turn off layering permanently before Phase 2 of our content unlock plan.

1 Like

If this is true, why does blizzard expect extreme queues when layering is removed?

1 Like

Layering sucks, there is no good alternative. You will never relive 2004 get over it.

I know a guy, who has a friend, who is definitely not me, and got caught within minutes abusing a glitch (solo’ing BT on a BC server) on a Pserver, no less. I find it hard to believe Blizz doesn’t monitor their servers as well as a Pserver does, but then again… it’s Blundering Blizz we’re talking about.

1 Like

Most likely they already plan to lower the online player cap at the same time as eliminating layers. They probably already have some magic number in mind that they’re aiming for and if the number of players on a given realm doesn’t organically reduce down to that number or close enough to it by phase two then Blizzard flips the layer/cap switch and suddenly there is a queue because they’re not planning to allow so many people online at one time that the remaining single layer world suffers from severe overcrowding.

I play on Atiesh and even though we’ve had nary a queue since the second day of launch I still routinely feel like leveling zones are overcrowded on a daily basis during prime playing hours.

The point being that layering lets more people online. Without layering, less people will be able to get online and then boom, everyone else goes to queue. So yes, layering impacts queues. Even blizzard said that.

Layering having an impact in dungeons is not something that should be possible. It’s not expected like hopping layers to try to get a resource node.

Dungeons and layering shouldn’t have any connection at all. When you’re in a dungeon, you’re not on a layer. You’re not on EK/Kalimdor at all. If the world server for EK/Kalimdor crashes, the people in dungeons on those continents are unaffected because they are in an instance that is not part of those world instances.

My guess is there’s some bug in the code they hacked together to transform sharding into layering that’s causing people to be moved into the new party leaders version of the instance without having to zone out.

I’m curious if once a group breaks if the party leader that’s not in the instance can hit reset dungeon and get an error about there still being players in their dungeon so that they can’t reset. If so, it seems like you could just have two people outside the dungeon to invite and once everyone moves into the new instance, the last one can reset the dungeon and be able to invite after they clear the other person’s and just repeat.

Blizzard,

If you want to have any of my respect again, after implementing this horribly flawed (people mentioned many reasons it would be abused beforehand), you will need to come down with swift and meaningful punishment to the individuals (probably tens of thousands) who have used this very game, economy, ect breaking abuse of the layering system.

This is huge and really a black eye on my whole classic experience now as flask recipes on my server are under 200g each. If you don’t do something meaningful, ban, suspension, removal of ill gotten gains then this will be a cancer that festers within the community of Classic.

Regards,

Extremely concerned Classic lover.

1 Like

Just lol imagine being you now. Multiple proof posted in thread, just lol at you.

3 Likes

Why would dungeons have layers? Each instance is completely independent from the world and instances run on their own servers. How would you change a layer in the middle of an instance??

If you are taking about zoning out and reseting… that has always been a thing.

Agreed, but why would layering be implemented into dungeon instances. It makes zero sense.

It’s likely because layering is more than just one area, so you’re on the same “layer” even in a dungeon. I guess there’s a “layer” in an instanced dungeon, and you can be on the same layer in that…?

Either way it’s horrendous and unimaginable how it made it this far.

well well well…how does it feel to know you were WRONG? Guild did make over 100k together and it’s all facts and proven now…so what do you have to say for yourself? You most likely are one of the exploiters the way you were deflecting…Next time don’t try to act like other people are so stupid when YOU have no clue what you’re even talking about, sir.

It would take 32 days played only doing it to get the 100k gold.
Ironically farming and resetting SM with a gorup of 5 60 mages is far more rentable and can get the same 100k in 10 days played.

Since ques don’t exist, and never have, of course layering won’t affect them.

But does that affect queues?