Explain usage of Serrated Bone Spike to me please

I’ve been venthyr since day 1 of Shadowlands.

Swapped out to Necrolord last night.
Been playing around in some low level keys, heroics, LFR to get a hang of the usage of SBS, as it replaces my venthyr ability which is pretty plain and simple.

1. In boss scenario – Is there a point in casting more than 1 spike? I can only imagine it being used if I got HORRIBLE RtB roll, sitting on zero energy for an eternity…
  2. In M+ AoE scenario, should I try to get all 3 spikes out on 3 differnt targets for dots, or just do it on 1, maybe 2? It’s an entire GCD while Blade Flurry is active…

I’d appreciate some rogue player around here to do a deep dive on that for me pretty please.

On ST don’t sit on 3 charges and don’t use SBS when you have SS buff. You pretty much either A) hold the other two charges for adds that might spawn or B) use to generate CP when you’re energy starved.

In M+ SBS you want to get your spikes out asap and the initial hit damage also blade flurries. You never want to spike the same target twice unless you’ll get a charge back (30s cd per charge) or there’s 3 targets that live long enough for your CD to refill a charge since if a target dies with SBS it refunds itself.

The more spikes you have out the more combo points that you generate when you use SBS and it also generates more with broadsides.

1 Like

I’m necro/assassination, for raiding, I use one initially as my starter from stealth, and then save the other two charges for when I’m using shiv. It generates two or more combo points, and costs only 15 energy, so I find it helps in getting out extra envenoms.

Almost all of the bosses in SoD have some kind of additional enemies in the fight, so it’s useful there as well. I use the SBS conduit, I have a 60% chance that it will hit twice, which still isn’t a ton of damage, but it adds up. Great for KT, I find the initial damage gets to be really high there bc of how often I get to use it.